The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Pine Mountain CA - anyone know it?

Here I go again...

Dreaming of moving 2 Dogs Farm somewhere there will not be snow up to my armpits come January.
    Nor temps below Zero F.
    And the deer & the antelope will play...

My brother now sent me a link to Pine Mountain near Los Padres Ntl Forest.
    The place has an equestrian center, but he was not sure if anyone kept horses at home.

Sooooooooooo.......
    SoCal COTHers:
    Tell me what ya know.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

{{{{BUMP}}}}

Really?
    Noone knows anything about the EQ Center or the place itself?
    If it's bad, PM me, por favor
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

NEVER heard of it! Had to google it...

http://www.pinemountainclub.net/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Mo...ub,_California

I see it is near Fort Tejon - which is a very pretty area, mountains / high desert. Climate there is much more extreme than most of CA (snows) - but within the parameters you have listed!

Would you need to work? It is a fairly remote location. Looks to be mostly a vacation and perhaps retirement community. – not a very big community, I would be surprised if there are many COTHers with first hand experience.

“Pine Mountain Club is unusual in that almost two-thirds of its 1,737 housing units (61.5 percent) were vacant when the census[3] was taken in March 2000. They were, in fact, second homes, vacation retreats, or spaces held for rental to seasonal tourists — especially during the peak winter months”

Here is a view of the stables

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.856...fe=strict&z=19

Of all the places in California you might pick... I can't see why you'd pick that one.

It's high up and remote... so if you're looking to avoid snow, that's not your place. And because of the distance off the interstate, if say you were looking to be close to LA, you might actually be "closer" in time by going further north.

That said, there are lots of places in California that will be more horse-friendly and where I promise you you'll never shovel snow again. The question is, what are your parameters for needing a job, for how much acreage you want, for how close you want to be for shows, and how much money you have to spend. Consider how much heat you can tolerate. I know we have suggestions for you. Is there a particular appeal to Southern California, and if so, how far (in time) do you want to be from some particular place?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

1 members found this post helpful.

If you wanted a southern California mountain type community that was more horsey, I'd suggest Tehachapi/Bear Valley Springs. But again, if you're avoiding snow...

Edited to add: in California, snow is all about altitude. 2000' is about as low as it typically snows; at 2000' you'll not have to shovel but you may get a few inches now and again. I'm at 1000' quite far to the north and we get maybe an inch of snow once every 3 years. 4000' means you'll regularly have snow. 5000' + means you'll need to bring your shovels.

Other places to look: Paso Robles, Mendocino/Lake Counties, of course the whole central Valley including Fresno/Sacramento... all in what your parameters can allow.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

C&C - if you are talking NC, then we have a disconnect.
    My Pine Mtn is in SoCal, not NC.
    I saw your PM, but could not read it, since, for some reason popups overlay my PMs here at work - at home they are fine.

I am asking because the only family I have left is my brother - currently in the San Fernando Valley and looking to relocate.
    He sent me a link to the Pine Mtn Club and will be driving there this weekend to scope out possible rentals or For Sales.
    He mentioned the Eq Ctr and I made him promise to ask about horsekeeping at home in the development.

From the listings I saw it seemed to me this was a 2nd home/vacation home area and prices are probably low as people want to unload that burden in this economy.

Poltroon - I actually house-shopped in BVS in Tehachapi some 4 or 5 years ago. Lovely area, but the High Desert seemed kinda remote - although I expect that may have changed since I was there.

LOL! I recall the realtor in BVS mentioning that some homes in the higher elevations could get snowed in for as long as a week before the BVS plows could get there.
    I kept my looking to places on the Valley floor.

If all goes well & according to plan, I'll be retired in 3 years so commuting to work will not be an issue.
    My showing days are long over & done.
    At most I'd be interested in doing some clinicing - Dressage or Eventing - and being within riding distance of some trails.

I'd be happy as a clam on 3ac - just me, 1 WB horse & 1 pony.

I'm not much better in heat than cold, but you don't have to shovel hot.
    And I've spent time in SoCal Summers so I know what I'm looking at.
    My parents lived in Encino for over 30yrs. I did not live with them, but visited a lot.
    I know all about Valley = City + 10degrees
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Wrong state. I thought you meant GA, where the eventers go. Sorry!

If you're looking to be near the San Fernando Valley, I'd suggest looking out in the Moorpark area. I don't know if it's in your price range, but it is pleasantly horsey, lots of little horsey properties, very accessible to the SFV. You can also check out Santa Clarita or the little towns on 126 like Fillmore or Santa Paula. Or go out to the high desert into Agua Dulce or Palmdale. Or further still out to Bakersfield. It's all in your price/distance tolerance ratio.

You can also look at the interior pockets, like Tujunga and Shadow Hills and Lake View Terrace that have horse property right in the San Fernando Valley. There are properties that are very small and yet zoned for horses; people pull it off.

It's a sad fact that anyplace within range of the LA area is going to be expensive.

Any place in California is going to be closer than you are now, and you might also go up the central coast, starting with the Santa Ynez area and then going north into Santa Maria or San Luis Obispo or up to Paso Robles/Templeton for nicer weather or less expensive property. Amtrak California's Pacific Surfliner goes between SLO and the San Fernando Valley, so that might be an option for convenient visiting.

You might also consider, in some of these areas, buying property is very expensive but there are places with dry lot/pasture type board available affordably, tucked away in pretty much every canyon. IE - if your priority is to be near your brother and your horses both, don't overlook the boarding option.

I had the same reaction as Paltroon and Appsolute. I didn't respond because there is no Pine Mountain. It's a resort name. I finally found it on a map after you added this.

http://california.hometownlocator.co...ntain-club.cfm

It's at the beginning of the Grapevine on the Bakersville side. There is NOTHING there. One thing I saw said an "easy" one hour drive to LA. Ha! MAYBE an easy hour drive to Bakersfield.

Take Paltroon's suggestion. Where does your brother live? The valley runs the whole length of CA, which is about a 15 hour drive from top to bottom.

From that location there are a few people in Bakersfield. There is not much of a showing community. I would say at least two hours to get into the northern LA area.

I live in northern CA and actually just drove through Bakersfield to Vegas for the first time ever. There is a LOT of open space and nothing. There are some beautiful areas, like Tehachapi, but you're pretty far out from everything, and "reasonable" prices might be a whole new world for you. Also, apparently you have weather where you are now. You'd best REALLY like dry and brown to live there. I can't handle being in So. Cal very long because it's so dry it gives me sinus problems. I also like to see green half the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    It's at the beginning of the Grapevine on the Bakersville side. There is NOTHING there. One thing I saw said an "easy" one hour drive to LA. Ha! MAYBE an easy hour drive to Bakersfield.
    That's definitely wishful thinking. I've been there, or more accurately, near there. Maybe, if you went really fast, in good weather, you could make it to the LA city limit ... which happens to extend to the 5/14 interchange and is still probably 45 minutes to a typical SFV doorstep.

Something to keep in mind is that if you find any place in California where prices are reasonable and density is low, there's a reason. Find out what it is and if you can live with it.

Another issue to look out for in any property up there would be water, which is pretty certain to be scarce.

The valley runs the whole length of CA, which is about a 15 hour drive from top to bottom.
    You're thinking of the wrong valley, though

Ok, for clarity...when SoCal peeps say 'the valley' they are usually referring to the San Fernando Valley which the OP is familiar with as her parents lived there for 30 years. When NorCal peeps say 'the valley' we're usually referring to the Central Valley which is about a 10 hour, very boring drive from top to bottom. Lots & lots of produce & cows out there.

Op - I liked someone else's suggestion of looking in Santa Ynez valley or farther up the coast around SLO. Beautiful land, awesome weather, lots of horses.

Thanks for keeping the info coming.

Right now my brother is in North Hills but he is the one looking to relocate to Pine Mtn.
    I was interested when he mentioned the Eq Center.

When I was looking at SoCA properties (before trekking to Tehachapi) I looked at places in Simi Valley and near Thousand Oaks. But I imagine those are priced out of my range now.
    Moorpark & Shadow Hills are definitely too high-priced.

Remote is not a problem for me so the High Desert is still a possibilty and my brother used to have customers in the area so he knows it too.
    He used to travel to Santa Rosa frequently & liked it.
    Neither of us requires a Starbucks on the corner. Just a decent-sized grocery nearby.

As for boarding, since having horses at home I could be a PITA boarder, but as I age the possibility is not ruled out.
    There will eventually come a day when barn work will be beyond me.

Right now, with a Midwest Winter on the way, it is all an attractive pipedream.
    But then, so was my current farmette some 15yrs ago.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

With the housing crash and difficulty of getting mortgages, prices are all crazy and different now. Before ruling out any place on price only, I would suggest checking the listings and seeing what is going for what these days.

If you were both going to Pine Mountain and would not have to leave it, that is a different story and you should check it out. (You may find even the grocery situation to be less than you'd like IIRC.) I think you may still find it too remote and too snowy for what you want.

If you are free to go anywhere in California, since you mentioned Santa Rosa, you might consider a day trip up to Lake and Mendocino counties. Santa Rosa will be too expensive for buying property, I think (though it would be more doable if you boarded), but Lake/Mendocino are somewhat more rural echos of Sonoma. Weather is temperate, air is clean, real estate has not recovered, and the main drawback for these two counties is a lack of jobs.

Thanks, poltroon - will do on the MLS for Lake & Mendocino
    Brother telecommutes to work, and like I said, I hope to be retired real soon.

Honestly, snow does not put me off as long as it is in inches, not feet.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Trouble is they aren't set up to plow real well when snowfall is not a common event. Snow in Marin and Sonoma has fallen at 1200 feet. Used to go for vacations to the Sierras to go skiing and come home to pretty snow covered hills outside the back door at work. It is about a once every three years thing though, true.

Horsekeeping wise, your brother may not really know what will affect you. CA has the Mediterranean climate, which means no rain in the summer and also no grass unless you irrigate. SoCal is more desert-like and as you proceed north to say Humboldt, it rains a LOT, just not during July-October.
    Halloween used to be the first day that it rained and the creek behind our house that dried up every summer used to start flowing by about Nov 15th. IIRC it took 2.5 inches to get going. We were close to Santa Rosa.

It's really hard to speak in generalities about such a big state that's for sure, you need to narrow it down to counties and then there are so many microclimates. I always liked Lake county but it is poorer, if you can imagine such a thing in CA. Older single wides, big old decaying resorts at Clear Lake, LOTS of Indian gaming, also older. Lots of forested land. Mendo is where all the hippies ended up. Both counties are less blessed by the mild coastal climate - 105 not unusual in Cloverdale.

Definitely worth a look. My dad absolutely loved the CA climate, grew up in MA/NH and saw '50's SF in the Army, never went back, and thought I was an idiot to move to the "land of sweat and freeze". CA is crowded - too crowded for me. If you don't have to have a job or commute you have a lot of freedom to explore the less crowded parts.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Your brother may find that he doesn't have adequate internet at Pine Mountain.

Any place under 3000' should measure its snow in inches.

The California Horsetrader will have real estate ads from all over the state, and is a good resource.

One last thing - you'll come across average temperatures for various locations... I find them pretty misleading as far as how many days will be quite far outside those averages. IE, data that shows the average temp to be 90F doesn't suggest that 100F+ is common even though it is.

Good luck!

I'm not a big SoCal person fan only because there are just so many dang people down there.

Central Coast would be lovely, but very expensive. Same goes for a lot of NorCal, unless you're way north or more towards the foothills.

Speaking of foothills, I have a friend who lives in Sonora and I really like the area. Close to Yosemite, does get a small amount of snow in the winter/relatively mild summers and land/homes are still fairly affordable. More towards the middle of the state so you're only a few hours to LA, a couple hours to San Fran. Somewhat "country" living but still pretty civilized.

I agree with KateKat. Sonora is in a beautiful area. I have family that lives there and have to drive over to the hospital there for work every once in a while. I wouldn't mind living there. Not too far out, but still country-ish.