The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage in Louisville, KY

My husband is taking a job in Lousiville and it looks like we might be moving within the next year (it takes a while to get everything organized).

Any recommendations/suggestions on where to look for a small farm and anything I need to know when preparing to move?

Anything is helpful!

Check out near La Grange (Oldham Co.) just east of Louisville... L'Esprit area several dressage barns there

Welcome to KY!

You'll find most of the dressage folks around Louisville are in Oldham Co with a few in Shelby county. If you're visiting Louisville, stop in the Kentucky Horse Supply in Middletown area. The owners, Roxie and Glen, are involved with dressage and have recent experience with small horse farm real estate, so they may have some good advice for you.

The choice of horse vets and farriers here is a lot better than many other parts of the country, a real plus.

If you are thinking of breeding, be aware that fescue grass can cause abortions in the 3rd trimester. It can be managed but you need to be aware of it. The soil is clay, so look for good drainage. Also be aware of sink holes on the property that you are looking at. Sink holes aren't necessarily a deal killer, but know what you are getting.

The further from Louisville, the cheaper the land will be. Much of Oldham county is a bit more expensive (not all). L'Espirit area can be pretty pricey. Shelby county is a mix of high end farms and not. Further out from Louisville, land gets cheaper but schools may not rank as high.

There are several barns that support dessage or a combination of eventing and dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumHorse View Post
    If you are thinking of breeding, be aware that fescue grass can cause abortions in the 3rd trimester. It can be managed but you need to be aware of it. The soil is clay, so look for good drainage. .
    more true toward Shelby and Henry Co but the area around Goshen on US 42
    (Hermitage Farm) is an outcropping of limestone... great for bluegrass

And orchardgrass was first introduce in on the Henshaw farm in Goshen early 1830s when seed was collected by Phillip Henshaw from his father's orchard in Orange County, Virginia, and planted on the Henshaw farm in Oldham County, Kentucky.

Up until the early 1960s Oldham co was the largest producer of orchard grass seed in the country... most of those farms convert to Ky 31 fescue for the cattle

Hermitage Farm in Oldham County has added Jim Koford to their program starting in April. They are building a Dressage complex for him to teach and train . They also have an extensive world class competitive driving program.
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

If the OP is looking buy a farm in that area they should look at where the ag land trusts and the environmental conservation easements are located in eastern Jefferson and Oldham Counties.

Some very large farms have been deeded over to the land trusts or placed into environmental conservation easements that protect those lands from any future development

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroPar...entalTrust.htm

Dinwiddie Lampton Jr lead the effort buy placing his Hardscuffle Farm (Rose Island Road and US 42 near the county line) into a land trust.

Also Woodland Farm in Goshen, a major part of that farm is also in an environmental conservation easement (along with parts of Hermitage)

Hermitage was destine to become a sub-division until Laura Lee Brown and Steve Wilson stepped up to purchase it in tact (as they had done with Woodland Farm)

THANK YOU!!! For all of these great replies. It looks like it is definitely a go and I will be moving sometime this year. My husband starts his job in January and we are going to start looking for something sometime in the next month or so. I am excited and terrified but I look forward to meeting new horse friends!