The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone find that the fancy jointed/flexing/etc stirrups hurt more than helped?

I have been riding in my trainer's training saddle for about a month and marveled at how good my knees felt. She's got the super-comfort iron pads on regular HS irons (certainly no rubbery sides, I'm not sure if the footbed flexes, I must check.) In fact, I was happily and surprize-dly postponing cortisone injections.

Sunday I got a new saddle so started using my own HS Bow Balance stirrups again (been using them for 4+ years and thinking all the while how much worse I'd feel without them).

I rode in the new saddle (with schmancy irons) for oh ... half an hour. Monday I felt creaky again. I rode yesterday for an hour-ish. In a couple of hours my knees were fat(ter) and ouchy.

Same boots ... similar saddle ... differerent irons.

Anyone else?
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Dec. 5, 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Bow Balance, not BowFlex
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Happened to me too! I'm 17 though. I found that I have to flex my ankle down even more than with normal stirrups because they "give".

I had a pair of Sprenger flexible stirrups with cheese grater pads. I never felt like I had a stable base to post from. I switched to a pair of heavy fillis that hang perpendicular to the horse http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/offs...ups-p-803.html They really seemed to help my riding. And yes my knees and ankles thank me every time I ride

1 members found this post helpful.

Love my MDC intelligent stirrups and Thinline wraps. You will pry them out of my cold dead hands
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I had the same experience with the fancy jointed/flexing stirrups and went back to my regular HS irons also.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I have a pair of the MDC Intelligent Eye stirrups with the flexible sides, and I just bought a pair of cheap, wide tracked black plastic irons with no flexible sides because my knees are KILLING ME! This is the first pair of flexible stirrups I've had issues with; I had HS flexible irons back in 2000 (when they were $50!) and never had an issue.

The other thing I don't like about these MDC irons is the weight--they were stretching my Passier leathers out! I'll keep them for now but I'd sell them in a heartbeat.

Thank you for your replies. It seems so strange I *had* to see if anyone else shared the experience.

carolprudm ... I'm definitely yearning for a pair of black ones (also strange, since I tend to be quite traditional about attire for me and my horse).

I don't like the flexible ones. I do however love my wide track composite stirrups. The footbed flexes just a little. I foxhunt in them and feel perfectly stable. They're awesome. And my knees don't hurt. Making them even more awesome!

2 members found this post helpful.

I found that they destablized my leg. But when I was hunting they were easier on me than the regular kind.

For eventing and goofy young horses they are a no go for me!

Voice of dissent here - I love the HSprenger jointed stirrups. Help my knees and back. And it's impossible to brace against the stirrup using them!

3 members found this post helpful.

same here. thought the jointed stirrups would help with my hip/knee/ankle pain. They did not. Tried wide-track composites and problem was resolved. Recently purchased the horze reflex stirrups and those, IMO, are the best yet.

Thanks for additional ideas ... and I'd like to clarify that I'm planning to use these as stirrups on a *dressage* saddle (the implication is that I'm a dressage rider, but that's yet to be determined!)

Has anyone tried the royal rider angled stirrups?

http://www.marystack.com/royal-rider...-stirrups.html

The angle looks interesting! I like having the leathers flat against the saddle but I'm too in love with my cheap black ones to buy anything else for at least a year!

I found that they destablized my leg. But when I was hunting they were easier on me than the regular kind.

For eventing and goofy young horses they are a no go for me!

So I'm not crazy? I love the way my knees feel after jumping, but for anything else they just feel squirrelly. I'm feel like I'm constantly chasing my stirrups.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry no. My bought my MDC stirrups because it took the pain away from my many times sprained ankle. No pain now. Use to have unbearable pain.

I hate them, I feel like part of my subconscious is always wondering where my stirrup is if I really need it.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

3 members found this post helpful.

I just started riding in my new Bow Balance. I don't use them for dressage...only jumping. I noticed all three times I've used them my SHINS hurt like the dickins while I'm riding! I've never had that happen before! My bad knee feels better but the shins hurt worse then my knee ever did! I'm going to try my old stirrups out to see if my shins still hurt. So wierd. Why would that happen? Overflexed?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    I just started riding in my new Bow Balance. I don't use them for dressage...only jumping. I noticed all three times I've used them my SHINS hurt like the dickins while I'm riding! ... Why would that happen? Overflexed?
    Do you stretch your shins/calves before riding (you know, toe up against a wall or other incline and lean forward with a bent knee?) ... might help

You guys chasing your stirrups ... this is with the HS Bow Balance and/or MDCs (which are supposed to be right where you need them)? Wonder why that is ...

BigBay, what's the exact brand of your cheapos? It seems like there are so many variables, I want to get more exact deets.

Thanks y'all for the confirmation, disagreement and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    BigBay, what's the exact brand of your cheapos? It seems like there are so many variables, I want to get more exact deets.
    AllWeatherGal, these are the irons I have: http://shop.shiresequestrian.com/p/s...ad?pp=12&pp=12

I have the 5 inch ones, but they do not look like they are 5"! I usually ride in 4.75" with plenty of room on both sides of my boots, but these make me nervous as they are close to the sides. They are wide track, though, and the "cheese grater" pads will make your foot stay put!

I am debating on upgrading to a pair of Royal Riders, however: http://www.smartpakequine.com/royal-...x?cm_vc=Search

I tend to be more of a traditionalist in my dressage attire, too, but I rode a friend's horse in her black composite irons with a wide track and I was sold. I had started to feel some discomfort in my feet while riding (in addition to the other hurting joints from my MDCs), but the wide track eliminated the foot pain! You just have to be REALLY careful with the cheese grater pads scratching your tack.

Horrible, give me plain old fillis stirrup irons.