The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default quick question on pony green status and reinstatement

hi all, I have read the rule book but needed clarification. If I have a green medium pony and we aim to try it out this weekend at a rated show in the greens, but there may not enough greens to fill the division. Can she show in the regular ponies, and still have the possibility of her green status being reinstated if she is not ready? Or is she only able to be reinstated if she sticks to the greens only?

You can show in the Regular Mediums and Green Mediums at the same time, as long as it is their first year of showing in the mediums. After the end of the show year (Nov. 30, 2013), you can only show in mediums.

No. You can't show in the regulars and then reinstate.

That's interesting because I emailed USEF and they said you could reinstate after doing the regular ponies provided you met all the other requirements... anyone know where I can find language supporting either answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    That's interesting because I emailed USEF and they said you could reinstate after doing the regular ponies provided you met all the other requirements... anyone know where I can find language supporting either answer?
    I would say you have the language right there in the USEF email. And I know you will print it out and make a few copies.

HU105 Green Status – Reinstatement .
    1. A horse’s or pony’s green status may be reinstated for a future competition year if it was not shown at the regulation height at more than four (4) competitions prior to September 1st and if it was not shown at that height after September 1st in the same year. A pony is not eligible for a green reinstatement if they have competed in the National Pony Finals.

a. The Federation recorded owner must submit the green reinstatement application, which must reach the Federation office on or before November 30th of the year of withdrawal. The request must be made during the year in which green status was broken.

b. A $25 processing fee, a list of competitions with dates where the horse or pony competed at its regulation or higher, the horse’s or pony’s name and Federation recording number must be included on the reinstatement application.

c. At the time of request, the horse or pony must stop competing over fences its respective height or higher for the remainder of that competition year.

d. If the horse or pony is not actively recorded at the time of request, it must be recorded/renewed at that time. Failure to do so will result in the horse or pony losing its green status. The owner will receive notification indicating the horse’s or pony’s green eligibility.

e. A Green Reinstatement will only be granted one time for first year horses and one time for second year horses and one time for ponies.

f. In the event an owner of a horse is not satisfied with the decision, they may submit a written appeal to be heard by the Federation Hearing Committee at a $100 appeal fee. An owner of a pony may submit a written appeal free of charge. An appeal does not guarantee the reinstatement
    will be granted.

So it all has to do with regulation height, not class. A large pony could compete in Children's Hunters at 3' and can request that its green status be reinstated as long as it follows the rules listed above.

"HU105 GREEN STATUS – REINSTATEMENT.
    1. A horse’s or pony’s green status may be reinstated for a future competition year if it was not shown at the regulation height at more than four (4) competitions prior to September 1st and if it was not shown at that height after September 1st in the same year. Horses are not eligible for a first year green reinstatement if they have competed in the Junior Hunter Championships or an International Hunter Derby within the same year. A pony is not eligible for a green reinstatement if they have competed in the National Pony Finals."

I think that's pretty clear. You could show up to 4x in any regular or green division before Sept 1st and still re-instate your green for another year.

That's what I see too but llsc ^ is a pretty experienced competitor in the pony world and she disagrees and my trainer said she tried to reinstate after doing regulars and was not able to. Now this was years ago with our trainer, so maybe something changed.

I see this was added to the rulebook for 2012, could this be why it is fine to do it now, but perhaps wasn't in the past:

"In its first year of showing at regulation height or higher, a green pony may also compete in the Regular Pony Hunter section at its respective height. BOD 1/14/12
    Effective 12/1/12"

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    I see this was added to the rulebook for 2012, could this be why it is fine to do it now, but perhaps wasn't in the past:

"In its first year of showing at regulation height or higher, a green pony may also compete in the Regular Pony Hunter section at its respective height. BOD 1/14/12
    Effective 12/1/12"
    We had a pony who showed in the Greens and the regular Mediums at the same shows more than ten years ago. So it's not a new development. Maybe they put that in to clarify the rule.

understood ^ but maybe it is a new rule that you can reinstate after doing the regulars? I dunno, I definitely don't want to do it if she can't be reinstated...and would only be doing it if there are no greens.

I have a friend that showed in the green and regular larges last year and got reinstated and will be showing in the greens this weekend.

awesome thank you!

Having been a part of the re-writes and clarifications for green ponies - as long as the pony is in its first year of showing at regulation height, be it in the greens or regular ponies, and as long as it does not compete at regulation height more than 4 times that first year, you can apply for reinstatement for that pony. Believe what USEF said - it is correct.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BAB View Post
    Having been a part of the re-writes and clarifications for green ponies - as long as the pony is in its first year of showing at regulation height, be it in the greens or regular ponies, and as long as it does not compete at regulation height more than 4 times that first year, you can apply for reinstatement for that pony. Believe what USEF said - it is correct.
    AWESOME, thank you

They did just re-do the rules on reinstatement, so It looks like you are fine. Up until two years ago??? you could only do the greens 3 times and it was before May for the deadline. The last reinstatement I did was before the most recent changes, so it seems clear that you can do it because you jump 2'6" either way. Now it's not clear about larges, since the greens jump 2'9" and the regulars jump 3". ???? Obviously the poster above says they reinstated a large green who did both divisions, but the language makes no sense in that case. So much for them clarifying the language to make that easy.

Good luck and have fun.

Just to try to be clear for Large Green ponies and this is where some confusion happens because Large Greens jump 2'9 and Regular Larges jump 3' - as long as the Large Pony is in its first year of jumping either height and only shows in 4 shows at either or both heights prior to September 1, green reinstatement can be applied for. Hope this helps.

1 members found this post helpful.