The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunt Show Shirts

Ok, I am pretty new to the Hunter ring & was wondering do people still wear hunt pens on their shirts? Or monograming? I was thinking about ordering one of those new wrap collars & I'm not sure what it would look like with a monogram on it the way they are designed.

Some people still monogram, but it is mostly just pony kids and some juniors. No one wears a pin anymore.

I would say with the wrap shirts monogramming is less frequently seen, although I know they can monogram them. The ones I have seen look very nice in my opinion, but I'm a bit old school I suppose.

If you are doing a traditional shirt with a choker, definitely get it monogrammed.

And I was always told no pins!

I don't really *love* the whole wrap collar shirt but I do love the new technical fabrics and sometimes they only come in wrap collar. So I have a few. I do monogram the wrap collar (I love monogramming and don't turn down an opportunity!)...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ent=Romfh2.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...=PupleFits.jpg
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

vxf111, thank you so much for posting those pictures that was awesome.

I still wear a gold stock tie pin. Call me old fashioned, but its traditional (and none of my new shirts have been monogrammed yet!).

I have mostly traditional collar and choker shirts, none of which are monogrammed. I just wear them plain.

No monogram necessary!
    I almost like it more without the monogram.

It's personal preference, of course. I don't like the wrap collar shirts at all, but I know I'm in the minority there. I haven't seen pins on collars (other than with stock ties) in a long, long time.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I have mostly traditional collar and choker shirts, none of which are monogrammed. I just wear them plain.

No monogram necessary!
    I almost like it more without the monogram.

It's personal preference, of course. I don't like the wrap collar shirts at all, but I know I'm in the minority there. I haven't seen pins on collars (other than with stock ties) in a long, long time.
    Another vote for the traditional shirt with choker -- monogrammed or not

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm curious about the new wrap collar shirts and the cool max fabric. I've seen on here in other posts that people say their man made fabric shirts get smelly when you sweat liters on a hot day. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer a starched cotton shirt with a collar, monogrammed or not. But I seems to me that no one is wearing striped shirts or dark colors anymore. Is this trend of a white shirt started because until just recently "cool max" came in white or very pale pastels? And what's with the short sleeved shirts? Where is the shirt's cuff peeking out of the perfect length jacket?

I'm just wondering if this a fad or here to stay. I remember everyone saying the shirts with collars were a fad, as we sweat liters in long sleeved white shirts with a stock tie held with a pin!

We have pretty much abandoned all colors and monograms (we are in the regular pony ring). Rather dull I realize but certainly classic.

I really do not like the coolmax fabric! I find it more uncomfortable on a hot day. My favorite shirt is made of some heavy kind of cotton but it is so much cooler feeling and easier to peel off at the end of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    We have pretty much abandoned all colors and monograms (we are in the regular pony ring). Rather dull I realize but certainly classic.
    Same here. We only have white or very pale blue wrap collar shirts these days for the adult hunter ring and obviously for the adult eq. I will say that my daughters IHSA team still does the mono collar with the team logo, but they are looking into moving towards the wrap collars with the mono.

For me, under a hunt coat, I find the technical fabrics are a bit cooler but I am also happy in a nice cotton shirt. The key is LONG SLEEVE in either event.

Walking around before/after I show with the coat off-- I think the technical fabrics feel cooler and they LOOK much better/less obviously sweat soaked. The Romfh shirt especially is the bee's knees because the whole under part of the arm is mesh fabric, so it REALLY breathes.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I am so lazy. I never remember to get my shirts monogrammed. Therefore, if they come with monograms (I tend to pick them up for $5-10 each at the tack exchange (not bad for $10!) then awesome, if they don't, oh well.

I'm not a huge fan of the stock pin, though.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I'm completely out of fashion and don't really care. I HATE white shirts and I dont' really like plain colored shirts either. I want something iwth some interest, a stripe, a check, a pattern of some sort. But the pattern can't be too obnoxious.

And I love me a monogram even though I have the worst initials in the world for them. The two bottom collars are my favorite shirts. The blue with rust is for when I wear rust breeches (Oh my!) and the yellow is actually my favorite monogram of the bunch.

I have one wrap collar and it is nice not to have to keep track of a choker. I don't like the color of it though, so haven't really contemplated having it monogrammed as I'm sure I will get rid of it soon. It was suppose to be pink but it's a weird blush color that is blah. The cuffs and inside of the collar are a nice pink and they clash with the actual color of the shirt. Oh well...it was cheap.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I still love the monogrammed traditional collars, and vfx111 - your wrap collar monograms are beautiful and classy as well!

When I was a junior I used to never get my initials monogrammed - I had a pale yellow shirt with a daffodil and a pale pink shirt with a strawberry and a blue plaid one with my astrology sign. I *still* think that was cool, but maybe I'm just a nerd. I even had a "winter" coral-ish colored shirt with a teeny dragon on it. I wish I still had them!