The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Declan's Moon to RRTP 100 day challenge

I'm a native of Harford County, so when I first heard of the 100 day challenge I emailed Country Life to see if the Pons' were going to send a horse. I actually saw my first foaling at Country Life; their night girl boarded her horses at my farm when I was 13-14 and took me with her several times, so I've always felt a connection with them and watched for their horses.

Anyway, they kindly replied and said much to their disappointment they did not have a suitable horse to send although they supported the program. Then just today I was thrilled to find out that they've sent champion Declan's Moon!

Now, before anyone jumps, I realize they don't own him and he's actually being sent by Samantha Siegel and Merryland (where he's been pensioned) but he'll always be a Country Life horse in my mind.

Also, I think it's really cool that such an accomplished horse is entered, and that we'll get to see what a mature horse can do.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

For FB pictures - Declan Moon's photos are posted on Country Life's page. Including a massage . Hat's off to Country Life and good luck Declan Moon!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Countr...441230?fref=ts

PS - Country Life is reaching 1000 likes and could use a few to get there faster. Josh Pon's has written about TBs, racing and breeding, including several nice books.

Best wishes to Declans Moon for the 100 day challenge! I followed him as a youngster.

Trav was by Allen's Prospect, and I also follow Country Life horses. Have always loved Malibu Moon. I had pulled up their website to book my mare to him the spring they sent him off to Kentucky, which put the price out of my reach. Mu DD still chides me for waiting that extra year and missing a golden opportunity.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Good for Declan's Moon .... AND, since my horse of a lifetime is by Two Punch, just wanted to say that Alluring Punch is also one of the horses in the challenge!!!

Actually, Declan's Moon has been pensioned at Country Life Farm, but he was at Merryland last Saturday for their open house and stallion show. Steuart Pittman picked him up to transport him to Dodon Farm for the 100-Day Challenge and spoke to the crowd about the RRTP program.

I was there, too! Declan's Moon was absolutely stunning - full of himself, fit, and every bit the horse I remember from his youthful glories.

1 members found this post helpful.

Here's a link to the video of his first day back under saddle. He's a really cool horse. Actually, all 4 of them are.

http://youtu.be/5GWug8tv7GE
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

What is this 100 day challenge thing? *cluless*
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    What is this 100 day challenge thing? *cluless*
    These are the horses:
    Declan's Moon , Suave Jazz, Gunport, and Alluring Punch

Representing Country Life, Walnut Green, Sagamore, and Northview

From website:
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project's "100 Day Thoroughbred Challenge" kicked off this week as four horses representing four Mid-Altantic Thoroughbred farms began a 100-day long training program on December 1. The horses will be judged on conformation, movement, jumping ability and trainability by guest riders, judges, and online fans. They will appear at the Maryland Horse World Expo on the third weekend in January and the Pennsylvania Horse World Expo on the fourth weekend of February after which some will be offered for sale. The horses will be trained together during the Challenge at Steuart Pittman's Dodon Farm Training Center in Davidsonville, MD.

The purpose of the Challenge is to demonstrate to the versatility, trainability, and quality of the Thoroughbreds being produced by America's horse racing industry. The Retired Racehorse Training Project (RRTP) is a charitable organization whose mission is to increase demand for Thoroughbreds off the track.

Here is web link, there is also FB:
    http://retiredracehorsetraining.org
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Declan is stunning! I love how Steuart talks to him so calmly throughout the whole video.

Eventing forum discussion of the 100 Day Challenge:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...30#post6712830

thank you
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Article in today's Daily Racing Form: 12/17/12 "Declan's Moon a natural talent as sport horse"