The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Updated: Long billets, Who to recommend?

Update: Please check out my last post:

Is this possible? I currently own a Passier Comet that I think the world of. I have lately been looking at mono flaps and rode in one and fell in love with the close contact feel and the larger knee blocks.

However my Passier and I have ridden many miles together. But the idea of selling it and getting something different makes me a little sick. So I have gotten the crazy idea of what if I had the billets lengthened? Would it make that much of a difference contact wise? Would it not end up feeling like a dressage saddle?

How much would something like this run? Is there someone anyone recommends to do this?
    Last edited by Sloeryder; Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM.

I have with my old saddle. I just took it to my local leather shop/shoe repair person and he cut the long billets for me and put them on. When I went to sell the saddle, I just had the short billets reattached. I love not having the extra leather underneath my leg!

Yes I should have rephrased my first post better. I too am having trouble with the girth under my leg. I am riding in much shorter stirrups now and can tell there's a girth under there. I think it will help tremendously with my leg to it.

I put long billets on my Prestige Eventer and loved it! I had to sell the saddle the next year as it did not fit my horse and ended up with a true monoflap. A monoflap provides the best close contact, but I will never have another saddle with short billets, can't stand the bulk under my leg. My local saddle fitter/leather lady did it for around $90.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Yes, I've done it. I put long billets on my Passier Wellington and love 'em!

My County Conquest has long billets. I love them! (esp since it's black and I only have one girth to clean!!) I have no problems with it. Don't know the cost because it was done before I bought the saddle.

Put long billets on my Passier Balm dressage saddle. Helped a ton with the resale as well. I bought the saddle like new for $300 and sold it after three years of use with a $60 long billet upgrade for $700.

It was the best for me as I hate riding in short billet dressage saddles. I want to make my Prestige Eventer into a long billet saddle, but I think I will wait till I have to replace the billets.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

OK I'm convinced! My next question is I am looking at Virginia Leather to have them done, I spoke to owner and he sounds like he knows what he is doing. Has anyone had any experience with them? Or can you recommend someone else?