The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cobbler needed - Triangle area, NC

Hi NC CoTHers...I recently bought a pair of boots that I simply adore, but they are too big in the calves.

Two questions: Is this the sort of thing a cobbler can even take care of, or should I try to resell?

If a cobbler can do it, anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I wouldn't limit your query to the local area--easy enough to ship the boots somewhere, with the appropriate measurements (the calf is not exactly a complicated shape :winkgrin).

I'd love to hear if you do find someone and like their work (and how much did it cost). I had the same problem and just could not find anyone who'd work on boots. I'm guessing they know that their cost would be higher than most boots are worth.

HH -- will be sure to let you know if I find someone!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

There's a guy in Chapel Hill who is AWESOME. His shop is on 15501 (E. Franklin St) right next to Whole Foods. I would take them to him and see what he says. He e replaced the zip on my paddock boots and I was very pleased with the work. He's also reheeled my extremely nice cowboy boots.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Watkins Shoe Shop on Peace St in Raleigh - the sweetest woman ever!

I've heard really good things about Man Mur in Raleigh (http://manmurshoeshop.com/)

Man Mur. Hands down the BEST in the area. Fast, beautiful work, and very budget friendly. They totally remade my field boots a few years back. And have pieced back together various other shoes, half chaps, purses, etc for me, mom, EqTrainer, etc. Call me and I'll go with you. I have a pair of Danksos that I need stitched and I've been putting it off driving to Raleigh.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

www.ridingbootrepair.com

I highly, highly recommend the Pisano's. They have been doing this for a long time and they are professional, fast and reasonably priced.

If you need a good laugh, do a search for my Mall Cobbler Epic Fail thread.

Pisano saved my boots! I honestly thought they were beyond hope but they came back a perfect fit from my measurements, and shined up better than new. Taking in calves would be a cinch for them.

P.S. I know they aren't in your area but I shipped my boots to them and they shipped back, I believe it was about 10 days from my doorstep back to my doorstep.

I have used the guy next to whole foods as well, to replace the heels/soles of my tall boots... very happy with his work.

I used Man Mur to put zippers in my boots and they turned out great. Fast turn around too.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by ens0613 View Post
    I've heard really good things about Man Mur in Raleigh (http://manmurshoeshop.com/)
    Man Mur. Hands down.

They have repaired many a horse item for me and my friends, including my friend's favorite Edgewood braided reins. Seriously, You cannot tell where those puppies broke.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    Man Mur. Hands down.

They have repaired many a horse item for me and my friends, including my friend's favorite Edgewood braided reins. Seriously, You cannot tell where those puppies broke.
    Yes! They replaced the zippers in my Ariat boots, did a fantastic job, quick and reasonable too.

Looks like jen-s and I are taking a trip to Man Mur on Saturday. Thanks for all the suggestions!

2 members found this post helpful.