Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Dressage in Hawaii

Just wondering if there is a dressage community on any of the islands? What the competition there is like? Is it a place worth considering basing oneself there as a trainer? Any input appreciated.

Clearly not uncharted territory,

http://www.alohastatedressage.com/
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

There are active dressage communities on Oahu, and Maui. As for as combined training goes, it doesn't.

There are several UL riders in both locations, and BNT's are more than happy to do clinics there. Even some not BNT's are happy to do clinics there.
    Taking it day by day!

I lived in Hawaii for three years, although I didn't own any horses at the time I did take some lessons. There was a barn on Oahu that was mainly dressage (Hilltop Ranch), one one that did some CT type stuff on the other side...but the market is, small and from what I remember, competition is really limited.

Not only is it a small community, it is EXPENSIVE. There are not a ton of horses there and if you want good ones, you need to import them in, then they have to go through the whole quarantine process.

I haven't lived there in several years so unless things have changed, which I would guess they haven't, my advice to you would be to contact Hilltop (I think they have a website) or one of the other stables there to see what things are looking like.

Good luck!

Oahu, Hawaii until we return to the Appling, Ga farm.

so i am in the process of investigating too, since we are literally selling the farm and moving there in july. i am bringing my FEI horse...here is what I know: FEI trainers there are slim pickins' but everyone I talked to seems legit, passionate about the sport, and actively involved in the dressage niche...at least on Oahu. hilltop is the place I aim to be, and compared yo what is offered here in aiken, the care is comparable and full board is 550, yes this includes real hay, not just pellets, and premium grain. the trainer there is 700 in addition to board, for full training. the credentials of the lady I am talking to seem to be legit, not just some two-score-chump-riding a horse stuck in 2nd level for ten years-with no show records-masquerading as a dressage trainer....which is what I would avoid paying for lessons since that would be highway robbery and a waste of time.

re quarantine: not what you think. you quarantine at you facility prior to shipping,then get sponged with fly spray at airport facility, cleared and transported to your boarding arrangements, where the horse must be quarantined for 30 days. pretty standard and do long as your paperwork is in order, thats it.
    "Lose your temper, lose your horse" -someone wise enough to know better than to pick a fight with a 1200 lb animal that could launch you to the moon.

Hilltop is a lovely facility, great indoor and out door arenas. Does have some UL riders there with quality horses.

The downside there is no turnout. There simply isn't space.

There is also a strong core of dressage riders that was based at Dillingham Ranch on the North Shore, an area where turn out and pasture is way more available.

There is also an active group on Maui.
    Taking it day by day!

I second, third, and fourth Hilltop. Circle C (or Z... I'm not sure what it is now) is also another place with great facilities. They have a little bit of everything there, jumpers, dressage, polo, some western. Indoor and outdoor.

Circle C

I know of a few people to stay away from, I'll PM you about that though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

You have a PM
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

vicarious, do you know of anyone specific at dillingham? seems beautiful there

merrygoround and superminion, please pm me with any info, particularly on who to avoid, trust, etc. i am a bit scared and not able to get some people to divulge much of anything when i get them on the phone. some people claim they are good, but dont have records in centerline scores
    "Lose your temper, lose your horse" -someone wise enough to know better than to pick a fight with a 1200 lb animal that could launch you to the moon.

I rode with LJ Banks when we took our horse to the island of Oahu. The dressage community was very active with super nice people. Top shows with the best judges that would stay for several days after the show to give clinics. It was the best! LJ Banks is located in Southern California but still goes home to Hawaii to give clinics but I do not know how often since it has been quite a few years since he moved to CA. Hawaii was one of the best times especially learning, showing, and meeting the nicest people. Good luck with your move and have the best time ever.

Sadly, with such a great facility things keep changing there. I no longer have contacts there, but suspect that the more things change there, the more they will remain the same.

Hard to explain without exploring the whole old family, political, and infrastructural situation on the North Shore. A drive toward Dillingham is a breeze, once past Schofield. A drive the other way (East) can be a not-happening.

My choice would be North Shore but then, I'm not playing with an FEI horse. Trailering to Waimanolo could be torture, except before 8am on a Sunday.
    Taking it day by day!

I'm really surprised at the cost of full board quoted (550$)!

I was there just last week and was told a small square bale is 36$, that must be way off then? Really curious, since that figure thrashed my long-term goal of moving there with at least one of my horses...

Full board for $500-something in HAWAII?!?!

And I'm paying the same in the wintery slums of Massachusetts WHY!?!!

vicarious! good freaking point about trailering!!! donnie is a butthole at lights! so, that would be a nightmare.

vezzee, very encouraging news!

re board; i wondered myself!!!! the mist I have encountered for full board is 700, for a 12x24 stall with attached 60x40 paddock!!!
    at dillingham, where the movie 50 first dates was filmed, a 1/2 acre parcel with run in is 250 monthly to rent, but doesn't include feed

check this out, this place is the barn next door to hilltop, along a mountain, walking distance via horse to beach riding. from their website (they were such great people to talk to:

Circle C is situated on 25 acres at the base of the Ko'olau Mountains. It consists of the following:
    Main barn: 28 box stalls, 12' by 16'. This barn provides the boarder with a private tackroom, nine shared cross ties, and four shared washracks. The stalls are enclosed with windows in the wall dividers to promote circulation. These windows are to provide your horse a way to socialize with its neighbor, but restricts contact.

Pipe Barn: 24 pipe stalls. 12' by 24'. This barn provides the boarder with a private tackroom, 12 shared cross ties, and 12 shared washracks. This barn is more open and your horse will have greater access to its neighbor.

Upper Paddocks: Eight large paddocks under shady Banyan trees. Each paddock has a 44' by 64' enclosure with a 3 sided shed (9' by 12'). The shelter have a raised floor. The owners provide rubber mats to keep horses up and out of the weather. The boarders have individual tackrooms, and two shared cross ties.
    Bud Barn: Five 16' by 16' large enclosed box stalls with attached 35' by 80' walk out paddocks. 3 shared cross ties and a shared tackroom with feed storage. Wash racks are near by.

Bud Paddocks: Eight large paddocks, 44' by 65' with 9' by 12' 3 sided shed. Shelter has raised floor. Owner supplies rubber mats to keep horses up and out of weather. Detached separate tackrooms and tie area. The washracks are near by.

Large Paddocks: Six 44' by 64' paddocks with a covered shelter. Owner supplies rubber mats to keep horses up and out of weather. Tackrooms and washracks are nearby.

All stabling arrangements include mucking (owner is expected to muck on

Sundays).

now the prices of these amenities:

Cost of board (per month)
    Bud Barn: $660.00
    Pipe Barn: $480.00
    Main Barn: $480.00
    Upper Paddocks: $605.00
    Bud Paddocks: $555.00
    Back Paddocks: $555.00
    *Plus 4.712% state tax
    Included in the cost of boarding:
    Feeding Program: Horses are fed twice daily. We offer Alfalfa hay cubes and Timothy hay. We feed 20 pounds/per horse/ per day. Other feed, supplements, or medication requirements of the horse(s) are the owner's obligation.
    Stall Cleaning: Once daily (except Sunday). All boarders must provide their own shavings. No shavings shall be used in paddocks.
    No fees for trainers: Trainers are required to have on file w/ manager a current liability insurance certificate and signed waiver of all students and guests.
    No fees for pasture turn-out: Boarders are limited to pasture turnout of one hour per horse per day. Turn outs are owner's responsibility and at owner's own risk.
    Worming program: synchronized worming program to control parasite infestation. The cost of worming program shall be paid by the owner.
    Terms and conditions: First month's boarding fee and one month security deposit is required per horse, prior to or upon arrival of horse(s)

No turnout is a COMPLETE deal breaker for me, I'd go for a place with turnout, not an option to be without it.

Boarding prices are a LOT more reasonable than I would expect. Same price ranges as here in Cincinnati too, I'd take Hawaii any day over Cincinnati. But the cost of living for everything else is a lot more expensive too. I'm sure if you were moving there though you'd have a job lined up and already know your income and budget for housing and expenses, and have to factor in the board coast.

I watch House Hunters International all the time, and my husband just drools all over the tropical locations they show. And all I'm thinking about the whole time is....hrmmm--palm trees & sand, but no grass and open land for horses--no way!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Briggsie View Post
    vicarious! good freaking point about trailering!!! donnie is a butthole at lights! so, that would be a nightmare.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I doubt that once past the three lights on the North Shore, you would encounter many more. But the traffic between 9 & 3, can be torture.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    vezzee, very encouraging news!

re board; i wondered myself!!!! the mist I have encountered for full board is 700, for a 12x24 stall with attached 60x40 paddock!!!
    at dillingham, where the movie 50 first dates was filmed, a 1/2 acre parcel with run in is 250 monthly to rent, but doesn't include feed
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    There are larger paddocks with grass in them but again feed is extra.

Then there is Kawaialoa Ranch just outside Haliewa. Lots of grass, You buy grain, they feed. A lot of Western influence there but they do speak dressage too.

So, since shipping isn't overnight, you should have time to look around and make your decision. Not that you can't move later.

Good luck.
    Taking it day by day!

yeah, we have time. i am a gov civilian, so i wont pcs there until august when they cut my orders. my husband is on orders too, but his rank and position for his job will be affording us a very sizeable house on post, so no complaints here! just feel very blessed we have this opportunity and just ready to get this over with! you guys have been a great source of info and I certainly appreciate your contributions

And then there are the facilities at Wheeler.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    And then there are the facilities at Wheeler.
    talk to me.....thoughts on the place??? limited info out there and seems like a nice place....but are the stall condo things safe, nice, doable with an 18h nuttyblood?