The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2000
    Location
    Full time in Delhi, NY!
    Posts
    6,394

    Default

    Mountainbells, the First Flight Hunt Tack has not changed. However, in response to customer requests, HC now carries several qualities of hunting (flat) tack. All of which are very nice, but the difference in price does reflect the quality of the leather used. The 2d Flight bridle looks identical to the the FF, but feels slightly different due to a different grade of leather.

    Easykeeper, what's great about the FF bridle is that it comes in 3 different widths (5/8", 3/4" and 7/8") So if you have a refined TB head, the 5/8 will be perfect and it can be used as a show bridle too. The 3/4" is the most popular width and it looks very traditional and "weighty". The 7/8" is great for big headed horses so they don't look like they're wearing spaghetti straps on their faces.

    If you haven't been to the store since the remodel OMG do you have a treat coming to you!! Go NOW. All of the tack is now downstairs and so easy to see and compare.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

    "Life is merrier with a terrier!"



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    The Nunn Finer bridles are exactly the same product as the Bartville Harness bridles. The only difference is that the Bartville products are quite a bit less $. Just in case you didn't know.
    My bridle is a Jeffries, did you mean my breastplate? I didn't know that a year ago when I bought the breastplate. I'd never heard of Bartville until joining the forums.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,262

    Default

    I had a lovely Smith Worthington flat hunt bridle that looked lovely on my TB. Leather was very nice. It was stolen out of my tack room last year. Smith Worthington is a US company. They had two levels of hunt bridle: one US made and one from India. Even the Indian one was well made of very good leather.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Smith Worthington does still make hunting bridles, they are up on their web site. I recently picked up one of their saddles, and I'm very happy with the quality.



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2005
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    5,968

    Default

    I also have and have been very pleased with a Smith Worthington bridle. And may get one of their saddles ere long, friends in CT hunted in them years ago and I always liked them (and George Washington used them too!).

    No stores anywhere near me that carry Smith Worthington tack, but they were kind enough to deal with me direct from the factory in Hartford. I also got a new flat curb rein so I could use new bridle w/pelham when desired.

    This is the one I got, the price has gone up a bit since I bought mine, but still a good value.

    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=546



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Location
    N.VA
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Kryswyn, Yes I have been to "Reynardos" and it is AWESOME! Hoping to get a gift certificate for Christmas and go again!



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2007
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    I have two from Horse Country and am perfectly happy with them. They have them in three price points and I have one of the less expensive and one of the midrange ones and they are both lovely and suit the purpose. I really enjoy the store, fortunately I don't live close enough to go there too often! I make most of my purchases on line or over the phone and they are wonderful to deal with.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2010
    Location
    Gum Tree PA
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Bartville is our “neighborhood” tack store so needless to say we do quite a lot of business with them. My only complaint with their bridles’ is they tend to run rather large for just about any of our Thoroughbreds. Not that they are “over all” large is just the adjustment strap, headstall to cheek almost always have to be put all the way up leaving a long “tail” which I don’t like the look of. The same can be said of their nose bands. Some of their brow bands can be a bit narrow which pulls the headstall uncomfortably close to some of our horses ears. I also wish they would move the keepers just a bit further from the buckle for those of us with larger hands and fingers. The nose bands can be hard to get undone quickly when a horse is all worked up after a race or a good workout. Or trying to make quick adjustments to the bit on young horses just learning the drill.



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    I also have and have been very pleased with a Smith Worthington bridle. And may get one of their saddles ere long, friends in CT hunted in them years ago and I always liked them (and George Washington used them too!).

    No stores anywhere near me that carry Smith Worthington tack, but they were kind enough to deal with me direct from the factory in Hartford. I also got a new flat curb rein so I could use new bridle w/pelham when desired.

    This is the one I got, the price has gone up a bit since I bought mine, but still a good value.

    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=546
    That's the bridle that I had. It was still gorgeous when it was 12 years old.

    They have a fabulous deal on their plain flap Avalon saddle. It is really the old style plain flap, and they have them on clearance sale for something like $975.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2005
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    5,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    That's the bridle that I had. It was still gorgeous when it was 12 years old.

    They have a fabulous deal on their plain flap Avalon saddle. It is really the old style plain flap, and they have them on clearance sale for something like $975.
    Ooh. Thanks for the tip. I've just bought myself one for Christmas (It will replace the 70s Stubben for the mare!). The mohair girths are also a steal at 15 bucks. Sigh, finally something approaching my old Crosby Prix des Nations that hasn't fit any recent stock. Must take measurements tomorrow and send those in, since they will adjust to fit at no extra cost.



  11. #31
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2003
    Location
    Orlean, Virginia
    Posts
    2,932

    Thumbs up My vote!

    Paris Tack Hunt Bridle w/reins in Dover catalog. Like 90 bucks w/reins!
    Using one now. Wider. Normal size fits my draft crosses. I like cheap given how often I tear them up. Well, THEY tear them up!!



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2006
    Location
    South-Central PA
    Posts
    2,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    Bartville is our “neighborhood” tack store so needless to say we do quite a lot of business with them. My only complaint with their bridles’ is they tend to run rather large for just about any of our Thoroughbreds. Not that they are “over all” large is just the adjustment strap, headstall to cheek almost always have to be put all the way up leaving a long “tail” which I don’t like the look of. The same can be said of their nose bands. Some of their brow bands can be a bit narrow which pulls the headstall uncomfortably close to some of our horses ears. I also wish they would move the keepers just a bit further from the buckle for those of us with larger hands and fingers. The nose bands can be hard to get undone quickly when a horse is all worked up after a race or a good workout. Or trying to make quick adjustments to the bit on young horses just learning the drill.
    The one thing I like about Bartville, is being able to mix sizes on the bridles! I'm pretty sure my TB needs a cob crownpiece/cob cheekpiece/horse browband/horse caveson. I guess since I ran out of time and didn't make it to Warrenton on Saturday, I'll just pick up a Bartville bridle this weekend. Thanks for all the help everybody!!!
    Cindy



  13. #33
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2011
    Location
    Cartersville, VA
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Yet Another vote for Bartville Harness. I own several hunt bridles, padded bridles, martingales, breastplates, etc, from them and have always been impressed by the quality workmanship, product and price. As someone mentioned earlier, the roller buckles are much easier on the leather than a standard buckle. Bartville tack is manufactured by people who still use horses daily, and whos tack must be reliable and durable. In my opinion, it is absolutely the best tack for the money available (and frankly I feel some of the best tack around period). I doubt you would be dissapointed with it. I have yet to get anything from Bartville that I was unhappy with.

    My .02



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul. 8, 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Bartville is phenomenal. I have two hunt bridles and two breastplates from them and have been very pleased with their craftsmanship. You can customize sizes and finishes completely at no charge. Their rubber grip reins are incredible, too. Very flexible.



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2006
    Location
    South-Central PA
    Posts
    2,292

    Default

    Went to Bartville yesterday and picked up my new hunt bridle and breastplate. However, the best bargain was what I found hanging in their 2nd hand area...a gorgeous black rolled/braided leather Hamilton halter for $37! I had never seen one before- braided rolled cheeks, braided rolled noseband, braided rolled throatlatch! I did NOT need another leather halter, but just couldn't resist...it is in pristine condition
    Cindy



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Another vote for Bartville! Have their hunt bridle, super-grip reins, standing martingale, breastplate, and running attachment. The buckles do not look bulky on my fine-boned TB. In fact I have gotten many compliments and the leather is just amazing! Totally recommend.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

    Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue



  17. #37
    Join Date
    May. 12, 2008
    Location
    Rocky Point Farm
    Posts
    244

    Default Clever With Leather

    Claire Painter at Clever With Leather in Versailles, KY makes wonderful, traditional bridles and appointments. Cleverwithleather.com or 859/879-0075.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2001
    Location
    Rosco, GA
    Posts
    1,872

    Default

    Bobby's. Very heavy and not too expensive. Btw, I got two from Horse Country, way expensive and both stretched out and look like crap. The Bobby's has never stretched and gets better and better.



Similar Threads

  1. HDR Hunt Bridle
    By spacytracy in forum Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec. 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
  2. Black Hunt Bridle--where to buy
    By ISR in forum Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 13, 2011, 08:11 PM
  3. hunt bridle
    By ride29 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar. 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
  4. Flat Hunt Bridle
    By Painted Wings in forum Hunting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov. 21, 2010, 10:29 AM
  5. Hunt Bridle
    By Acertainsmile in forum Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep. 12, 2009, 08:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness