The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SMZ's - Suggested methods of giving

What has been successful for you with your difficult horse?

I either put them in a cup with a little bit of water to make a paste and mix that with applesauce, then mix with food, OR if they refuse to eat them on food in any way, I'll put all the pills in a big 60cc dose syringe with some water and squirt them on the back of the tongue (hold their head up until they swallow or you'll end up covered in white paste). If they are notorious for spitting the paste out after syringing, I hold the head up and stick the empty syringe in their mouth a few times (until they open their mouth), and that usually gets them to swallow.

I also will stick the syringe in their mouths a couple of times BEFORE I squirt the SMZ in - that will make them spit out anything they have stored away in their cheeks for later.

3 members found this post helpful.

A friend of mine recently asked me the same question. She was not having a good time trying to give smzs 2x a day. I told her to get a water bucket and dissolve grain and the pills is hot water...about 3 inches of water. Once everything is dissolved add cold water to the mixture until you have at least a third of a bucket. Adding the cold water helps to suspend and mix while cooling it down to just warm. Her horse drank it right down and she was very happy!

First, clicker train the horse to the syringe. It'll take about three 5-minute sessions. Then, I put all the tabs into the (60 CC) dose syringe and suck up about 20 CCs of hot water. With finger over the tip and plunger pulled back so you have 35 CCs of air, shake like mad till all pills have dissolved. Tip syringe up, suck in enough air so there is no medicine in the tip and slowly express all the air, till you have just the liquid/pasty meds in the syringe. (You may have to add a little more hot water if it is too thick) Stick it back in the horse's mouth and squirt. Hold his head up and massage the bars of his jaw with one finger to help him work his tongue and swallow. If the last bit of meds are stuck in the syringe, suck up some water from his bucket, shake and deliver. Follow with a peppermint. Although none of mine will take a treat from my hand, I have to put it into their bowls bc why would someone who just delivered that medicine offer something that wasn't poison!?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I bought a cheap coffee grinder, chopped the pills and half a peppermint up and put them into my horses grain with a bit of water to bind it to his grain. It worked well for my horse.

My horses's normal feed routine is pelleted feed and alfalfa pellets or beet pulp
    shreds soaked in water for a few minutes. I can add any type of broken up pills or even wormer to their mixture and they gobble it up. Works for me.

dissolve the pills in hot water with a little sugar and pour that over the grain. my horse didn't want it without the sugar, but with he ate it fine. (his feed is a basic pellet so not much flavor.)

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldcity View Post
    dissolve the pills in hot water with a little sugar and pour that over the grain. my horse didn't want it without the sugar, but with he ate it fine. (his feed is a basic pellet so not much flavor.)
    This method has worked for my picky pony as well. I used to make a paste and syringe it in, as just dissolving the pills and pouring that into his couple handfuls of grain was not enough. But then I figured out that by adding sugar and/or brown sugar to the pills *after* they dissolved in warm water, and then mixing it into his little bit of grain, worked just fine. Lots easier, and less messy, than oral syringe!

I have a gelding here that won't take meds in his grain no matter how I try to disguise it.

I also add some hot water to the SMZs and make a paste. Usually I add too much water so I found that mixing a little wheat bran makes a perfect consistancy to put in a syringe. I add a layer of applesauce to the syringe first, then the bran/med mix and finally a second applesauce layer. That way, the first and last taste is of applesauce.

Lauren12s method of administering is the way I do it, too.

I use a little wheat bran in the feed and wet it into a slop. They eat it right up.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Dose syringe. Good times!

If he's border line (like maybe just doesn't want to eat the pills) ask your vet for Uniprim. Its the same medicine FWIR, and its powdered and flavored.

Crushed pills mixed with mushed up/aged Banana. Down it goes, nom nom nom
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I've had good luck with peppermints.

Take about 5 or 6 Starlight mints and melt them in a little hot water. Put the SMZs in a little hot water too (they'll melt right away).

Then just mix the peppermint water & SMZ paste together. I throw in a little feed/grain and mix together. Horses eat it up with no problem. If you have a really picky customer, just mix the peppermint/SMZ paste in with their whole grain meal. They'll just think it's an extra tasty dinner/breakfast because of the peppermint candy flavor.

Ground the pills up in a pill crusher, and mixed them with a little bit of warm water and a bunch of pancake syrup, and syringed it in.

Applesauce will work too, but the syrup is nice and sticky, so if you can get it in the mouth, it stays in there a little better.

I've always meant to pick up a bottle of the peppermint syrup that they use to flavor coffees to see if that would work as well, but pancake syrup is easy to find and inexpensive.

Flavored powder.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldcity View Post
    I have found that SMZ's dissolve as rapidly in cold water. If mixing in a syringe, hot water dissolves them too quickly and they can clump.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I dissolve them in a little bit of water in a cup. As little water as possible. I think I usually have to give 14 or 16 SMZs, or something like that.

For the mare who was suspicious of drugs, Callie, I then put the liquid in her wet feed.

For Cloudy who will eat everything but meat, I put the liquid in a coke, and he drinks it up. Things go better with Coke.

Hattie is more suspicious. She gets the liquid in her morning 32 oz gatorade.

I think that by dissolving them in a tiny bit of water, it makes it easy to mix them up with wet grain or any other liquid.

I use cold water. And you can use applesauce or carrot juice or roll a banana in the powdered Smzs. Whatever works for you. I have a mortar and pestle, but you can crush with 2 spoons. Cloudy and Hattie will eat anything rolled in a banana.

Default TMZ's

Jello powder and a doser. You can add as much powder as you want. I have never had it fail. A 20cc may be OK for a youngster (up to 5 tabs) but I prefer the 60cc for a horse. Keep it moving once the water is added. Certain brands disolve better than others, but they all will. Grind or crush if you want. Jello powder can be left in the barn year round, and works with all meds. Handy cheap...magic. putting meds on feed always makes me nervous (in case they waste) this way I am sure meds are given, on time, not just when it is feedtime. 2x's a day for me is 12 hours apart. In a llarge barn it is impossible to feed and watch to see if meds are eaten, there are others to feed and maybe more than one to treat.

The cause of and solution to all of life's problems : BEER

Instead of water, put beer in your syringe (slowly or it will foam all over), the carbonation makes it desolve the pills super fast.

Horses love the taste.

I cared for a thoroughbred stallion who had been treated unfairly and generally mistrusted people. After his surgery, he would actually prick up his ears and put on his "hey whatcha got there" face for his beer and pills .

Plus you get to drink the rest

2 members found this post helpful.

Where do you get the powder Laura? I've used Tucoprim but would love a cheaper source.