The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Romance in my future? Probably doomed!

Woke up with a start, after falling asleep on the couch, realizing the winter blanket I had dragged home during this lovely warm day hadn't yet made it into the wash. Dumped it into my front-load, put it through soak and then wash, and have just hung it across the top of the door to the laundry room.

Upon reflection, am sure, if there were any out there ever again, any romantic prospects would be running!

Although must add to the plus list of staying single.

PS I do clean the washer out before the next load!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

2 members found this post helpful.

Hey, no complaints if you clean out the fur from the washer/dryer. I suggest hanging the blanket outside though.

If somebody was that anal retentive over a blanket on the door, you sure wouldn't want them around...who wants to walk on eggshells?
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

CVPeg is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yesterday sunny - forecast the same for today, but they goofed. Rain, then snow. Have kind of a funky/outdoorsy house - the interior doors are all made out of rough cut pine(?) stained barn red - good at snagging blankets 'just so', and neither the doors, nor the blankets become misshapen. Ask me how I know!

I was laughing to myself while removing the blanket, thinking how family/friends/those-from-the-past would be aghast at my washing it in the same machine as my clothes. But only I know the difference.

PPS. I don't run a washing machine between horse loads and my clothes.

They have soap. I have an immune system (which I carry with me), and I get covered with horse dirt on a regular basis.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

6 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Totally agree on the immune system theory. The sickest people I know are the ones afraid of dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    The sickest people I know are the ones afraid of dirt.
    This is true on many levels ...

(ETA--I have even washed saddle pads and jeans together--both need something heavy to balance the load, so ... )
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wash horse laundry in the washer, though the blankets and sheets get hung in the barn to dry. The aisle breezes get things dried fast, even in winter. Husband brings in more horsehair and mud on his clothing, than most of the horse laundry. Spring shedding time makes his work clothes furry!

Newest washer, Speed Queen top-loader has a stainless steel tub, so no worries about chips or dings from metal buckles! Gets things VERY clean too. Speed Queen dryer gets an AMAZING amount of hair out during a load, along with any lint.

No one who knows me would be surprised to learn I do horse laundry in my washer if it fits inside. I run a rinse load of water between horse and people laundry. I do have to change those net lint catcher bags on the washer hose when it empties, the hair will fill them fast. Better to fill the net lint catcher bags with hair, than the drains!!

With pets in the house, it helps prevent allergies. Newer studies are saying that about pets in the house with children. None of us are allergic to animal things. Husband is sensitive to new-cut grass, makes him stuffy. He didn't get that until he was about 18yrs old.

We do have standards of cleanliness, they just are not like town folks standards. Few of them ever really get dirty like horse folks. Things do get cleaned regularly here, but there are a lot of other things to do besides clean the washer tub!

It's a waste of water to run an empty load, so I recommend running some "transitional" clothes -- for example, I do horse blankets, then a load of farm clothes like my Carhartts/jackets, then the regular stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Totally agree on the immune system theory. The sickest people I know are the ones afraid of dirt.
    Yeah, and which part of "consummating the romantic relationship" was not going to involve things far, far worse than horse dirt?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I wash all my horse stuff in my washing machine. Even my girth and nylon halters (when I have them). This is a husband approved activity even.

I actually think having more water emptying into the septic or dry well is helpful to the system. More water used in washing a load, higher water level setting, will actually get fabrics cleaner as the water moves over and thru the material. Not enough water in a cycle in many of the newer washers to actually remove real dirt, settings save water, doing High Efficiency, but clothes come out still dirty. Washing those clothes again is NOT the answer, no savings on water for sure.

Wasted water for me is stuff like cleaning and bleaching water buckets daily, pouring all that water down the drain. Other wasted water is long hot showers, garden sized bathtubs, both using a LOT more water than the occasional water for rinsing a washer tub between loads of laundry. Washing the Carhartts here will usually need two wash cycles, and a rinse to get them presentable. One wash cycle only loosens stuff!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yeah, and which part of "consummating the romantic relationship" was not going to involve things far, far worse than horse dirt?
    Exactly! LOL

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    It's a waste of water to run an empty load, so I recommend running some "transitional" clothes -- for example, I do horse blankets, then a load of farm clothes like my Carhartts/jackets, then the regular stuff.
    Sometimes I'll do a "transitional" load as well. But I have a great spring as a water source so not worried about wasting the water. Actually used to be a public spring at the bottom of my driveway when I was a little girl... long before I bought this place.

Don't forget putting bits into the top rack of the dishwasher. Halters and leads go into the washer with towels or jeans. And biothane tack goes into the shower.

thinking how family/friends/those-from-the-past would be aghast at my washing it in the same machine as my clothes.
    why exactly? I can't think of any reason to NOT use the same machine.

I use the same washer for my horse stuff, and for my dog stuff, no big deal in this household and my husband not only could care less but will encourage it to keep from in his eyes wasting money at the laundry mat, only go there for the super big washers