The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Local Horse scene near Louisville, Kentucky?

Hi,
    Any and all info appreciated re: local horse news websites or magazines/newspapers, where the nicest horse property areas are surrounding the city, which disciplines are most active, and trail riding areas?
    Thanks
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Prospect area east of town on US42 also the Wolf Pen Branch Road/Covered Bridge area of eastern Jefferson Co/Western Oldham Co. (this is ahigher end area)

....or Simpsonville/Shelbyville area od US60... center of Saddlehorse world

Pewee Valley area in the old days was a small sleepy place that was nice for horses

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/364.jpg

St Matthews still has Rock creek Stables,but we used to keep our pony at our house in St Matthews.... the riding trails are still in Cherokee/Seneca Parks

The Rt 60 corridor from Simpsonville to Shelbyville is Saddlebred central. Gorgeous farms! I know there used to be a few Arabian farms in the area and maybe a hunter/jumper farm or two, but mainly that is Saddlebred country.

Local backyard horses seem to be gaited. I know there is a Rocky Mountain farm between Campbellsburg and Eminence, and Google shows one in LaGrange too.

Goshen, north of Louisville. Eventing! Very pricey area, if you are looking to buy, though.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

[QUOTE=Plumcreek;6701555]Hi,
    Any and all info appreciated re: local horse news websites or magazines/newspapers, where the nicest horse property areas are surrounding the city, which disciplines are most active, and trail riding areas?
    Thanks[/QUOTE

I would be happy to help. There is a nice facility, Equestrian Lakes, that offers homesites as well as a barn and covered arena. They also have trails. Nice area.
    www.khja.org Our Kentucky hunter jumper site that has a trainers list.
    Lots of eventing and saddlebreds. Some dressage barns and a few h/j. There are several state parks just a short trailer ride away where you can trail ride.
    Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info.

Default Specific Trail heads

I too am interested in trail riding opportunities in the Shelbyville, Kentucky area. I am not very computer literate so if anyone could be specific on the names of the trailheads or state parks that have horse trails available in this area it would be greatly appreciated. I agree it is beautiful country and we look forward to riding the trails up there.

Thanks everyone. Good information.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernOakFarm View Post
    I too am interested in trail riding opportunities in the Shelbyville, Kentucky area. I am not very computer literate so if anyone could be specific on the names of the trailheads or state parks that have horse trails available in this area it would be greatly appreciated. I agree it is beautiful country and we look forward to riding the trails up there.
    Shelby Trails (Simpsonville) - Small place, charges day use fee or annual bridle tag.
    Long Run Park (Simpsonville) - Not really many trails, but horses are allowed there.
    Taylorsville Lake State Park (Taylorsville) - trails are closed much of the year when trails are wet, call first
    Lake Jericho (Smithfield) - small place, charges day use fee, lots of ups and downs around the lake.
    Jefferson Memorial Forest (Louisville) - used to be pretty narrow hilly trails, but they recently put in new wide boring trails instead
    Iroquois Park (Louisville) - neat views of the city from the hill top. Outdoor arena available use. Mounted Patrol is based there.
    McNeely Lake Park (Louisville) - small place with a few miles of trails.
    Otter Creek (south of Louisville) - pretty trail along a beautiful creek, can ride on the beach of the Ohio River- fun! Day use fee.

if you want to haul slightly farther, southern Indiana has the best trails locally, IMO. My favorite is O'Bannon Woods / Harrison Crawford in Corydon, IN. I also really like Deam Lake / Clark State Forest in Henryville, IN.

Within 3-4 hours the options are endless... absolutely gorgeous trail riding to the east.

Any other locals have any additions? I'm always looking for somewhere new to ride!

Cherokee Park/Seneca Parks ...still have their trails... Hogan's Fountain was put in there so people could water their horses.

Is that bridge across I-64 still there?

I train from a private farm (no boarders) in Simpsonville where my disciplne is hunters and jumpers. We are directly across from the Shelby Trails area and the land and farms there are beautiful. I've also done a riding demonstration at Equestrian Lakes and that place is amazing. The barns are immaculate and it boasts a huge covered arena that has miles of trails surrounding it. I've been here for one year and I'm just beginning to get a lay of the land but I'm liking most everything about KY so far.

The bridge is still there, but the trail leading to it was not passable a year or two ago when some friends tried to go trail riding.

When we were teenagers (1970s), my friend boarded at Rock Creek. We rode all the way to the end of that trail and back several times. So much fun!!

I'm seriously considering b uying a farm in Ky...any input /advice is greatly appreciated.I'm in Pa now.

Quote Originally Posted by maxiford812 View Post
    The bridge is still there, but the trail leading to it was not passable a year or two ago when some friends tried to go trail riding.

When we were teenagers (1970s), my friend boarded at Rock Creek. We rode all the way to the end of that trail and back several times. So much fun!!
    so, was Avis Smith there when you were at Rock Creek?

You guys are the greatest! I am taking notes and cannot wait to hit these trails! We will definitely trailer to be able to ride some beautiful trails. Keep them coming....like I said, I am taking notes !!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernOakFarm View Post
    We will definitely trailer to be able to ride some beautiful trails. Keep them coming....like I said, I am taking notes !!
    Land-Between-the-Lakes
    http://www.lbl.org/horse.html