The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Westaphalian or not?

Hi!
    I'm thinking about buying this horse. He was rescued and doesn't have papers but I noticed his brand. It looks like he is a Westaphalian (w, crest, etc) but he doesn't have any numbers under his brand and it looks like such a small brand compared to any of the other warmblod brands I've seen. I've attached a photo of his brand as well as a Westaphalian brand I found on google to compare the two. Is it odd that it is smaller? Is it fake? Thanks!

brand found online:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9080067...n/photostream/

horse's brand:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9080067...n/photostream/

here's a photo of him as well:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9080067...in/photostream

I can't see the pictures...

Links don't work.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

Hi - with all due respect his breed is called Westphalian (not Westaphalian) named for the North Rhine-Westphalia region in Germany.

We can't link to your photos - however fake brands are rampant so beware. The best way to know if you have a real Westphalian horse is you will also have his passport book - regardless of whether be was born in the states or Germany he should have been approved by the Westfalen Horse Association which is the US division of the Westfälisches Pferdestammbuch e.V. in Germany.

They have a thread going with the same question on Off Course, and the photo links do work there:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...21#post6701521

oops sorry about the links! I posted it in two forums so more people would see! He is a rescue so no papers, passport, etc. I was just trying to find out more about him. He seems to be a lovely mover and well trained in dressage, so it's a mystery how he ended up starving and in need of rescue! I was hoping to find out more about his brand to try and contact the appropriate society to look for records/info (long shot...but worth a try!). I'll try to take better photos and post them soon

he's very cute - but it is not the correct size/shape/type of westfalen brand.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl22 View Post
    oops sorry about the links! I posted it in two forums so more people would see! He is a rescue so no papers, passport, etc. I was just trying to find out more about him. He seems to be a lovely mover and well trained in dressage, so it's a mystery how he ended up starving and in need of rescue! I was hoping to find out more about his brand to try and contact the appropriate society to look for records/info (long shot...but worth a try!). I'll try to take better photos and post them soon
    A BO I know once bought a horse at a local auction who was bred by a very famous, Olympic rider. He was in rough shape and he HAD his papers. There's no telling where they'll wind up when we Have to let them go. We can only hope for the best.