The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Fake Warmblood Brand?

Hi!
    I'm thinking about buying this horse. He was rescued and doesn't have papers but I noticed his brand. It looks like he is a Westaphalian (w, crest, etc) but he doesn't have any numbers under his brand and it looks like such a small brand compared to any of the other warmblod brands I've seen. I've attached a photo of his brand as well as a Westaphalian brand I found on google to compare the two. Is it odd that it is smaller? Is it fake? Thanks!

brand found online:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9080067...n/photostream/

horse's brand:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9080067...n/photostream/

here's a photo of him as well:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9080067...in/photostream

Hard to tell from the picture, but I am seeing more of a Holsteiner brand than Westphalian.

From casual observation I would say that Holsteiner brands are a bit smaller than the Westphalen brand, and I can't recall that I have ever seen one with a number.

I don't see why anyone would go to the trouble of faking a brand for a rescue horse, but I guess anything is possible.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't really tell what brand it is from the photo as it is not very clear in the photos. That being said, you were also concerned with the size. Not all horses grow the same and depending on the growth after the brand was placed, it can change the size. Also horses can be branded at most ages, so he could have been branded as say a 2 year old after most of his growing was done. There are a lot of factors involved in size of brand.
    (sorry for the wording being a bit funny, I shouldn't be awake yet haha)

Also he could just be a QH with a ranch brand. If he's the horse you want, I wouldn't be concerned about it...

6 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if he's a holsteiner bred in South America or something? in my experience, the breed brands vary a bit from country to country. The Germans use the numbers under the brands, some US brands have NA or other variances. I don't know the specifics from other countries, but the Aregentinian warmbloods I've seen had breed brands that looked "not quite right". Not sure how to research that, but just a thought...
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

I'm seeing more of a holsteiner brand too. Either way, he's really cute and looks really nice!

Brands can also be done pooly. I know one horse who was uncooperative at branding as a foal and now he's an adult. His brand just looks like a big moosh, hard to say WHAT it is?!

If you like the horse, who cares wht his butt says?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

ignore the brand; he's adorableand conformationally, quite nice. Good luck with him

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post

If you like the horse, who cares what his butt says?
    LOL!!!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

1 members found this post helpful.

I only pay attention to what my horse's butt says when I'm picking his back feet...

He pooped on the farrier after all.

Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I understand those of you who are downplaying the importance of the brand are making a legitimate argument that the brand itself contributes nothing to the performance of the horse. However, I think researching whatever you can find out about a rescue horse (including the brand) can matter. There was a thread in the Sport Horse Breeding forum started by a poster asking about the brand of the horse she had just purchased. She eventually found out that the horse had been given away by the original breeder with the understanding that because of a severe pasture injury, he would never be ridden or sold. She found out all this by starting to research the brand. She posted pictures of the brand out of curiosity, people started to chime in, and before you know it, the real story came out.

I am not trying to warn you against buying this horse, OP. I just want to encourage you to find out everything you can, including researching the brand. It can't hurt, and it may help you find out vital info about the horse's past.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

My Westphalian is not branded at all, and I have no idea why. I have his passport and am absolutely certain he is who his papers say he is (can trace his history back to birth and someone who assisted with inspections and branding when he was a baby can't remember why he might not have been branded...our theory is that he was such a pill, they couldn't catch him to do it -- this would fit his personality !).

Since this is a gelding the OP is looking at, breed/breeding wouldn't really matter much to me either, but I also understand being curious. A better picture would help -- not that you can really go and do this to someone else's horse, but shaving and wetting the area will make it stand out better for photos. I wouldn't hazard a guess at what is there from the currently available photo.

does look like holsteiner to me

Another vote for Holsteiner
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

My Dutch Warmblood has a chip instead of a brand, according to his papers.

Speaking of brands, I once owned a mare who was simply branded "204" with no symbol, anyone ever see this?

204 is probably more of a ranch number, maybe a mustang or quarter horse? Generally warmbloods will either have the brand or a microchip.

She was listed as a thoroughbred, big bodied, 16.2hh without lip tattoo. I was just always curious.

Jhorne, I know a horse named 150 b/c that is the freeze brand on his neck, they always said he was a standardbred and that was his race brand, now he did have the lovely standardbred head but the brand was different than the brand on a ex pacer mare, her brand looked more like a mustang brand