The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Home remedy help?

Have a horse who has arthritis and laminitis. He's an older guy but has been doing really well with his elevated shoes. However, with the weather change he is really having a hard time walking. I have tried many brand name supplements to help, but didn't exactly see results. I am open to brand suggestions, but mainly I am looking for an home remedies anyone has that keeps the horse comfortable and feel better? Want him back and good ASAP! Such a sweetheart. Thanks!

Call your vet and see what pain management plan you can come up with. With these old guys in pain I treat the heck out of their pain so they feel as good as they can. They deserve it and no supplement ever seems to help.

I would probably give him good old-fashioned bute and pop rocks (granulated omeprazole) for ulcer prevention for the arthritis (but I don't know if that is OK for the laminitis). I know long-term use is disfavored because of ulcers but I kept a navicular horse on bute for 15 years with no ill effects, and a ringbone horse for 6 years. As a bonus, bute is very cost-effective. The pop rocks make ulcer treatment affordable as well.

Previcox is good too and affordable if you can get your vet to write you a prescription for the dog one, the horse one is too $$ for long-term use.

Real painkillers are better than home remedies. In my view, I med the retired ones up to the gills to keep them happy. When I can't keep them happy any more with (lots of) drugs and shoeing, it is time to let them go -- but that's my personal view and everyone has to make their own calls about things like this.

Best of luck with your guy and jingles that he feels better soon.

What are elevated shoes? Wedges? Or did he JUST have a laminitic episode and he's recovering!?

"Really having a hard time walking"??? Call to the vet is in order. Inability to even WALK is way past herbal/home remedy stage... unless you're exaggerating this sounds like a serious pain issue. What kind of quality of life does a horse have who can't walk without having a hard time?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by eqgrey View Post
    Have a horse who has arthritis and laminitis. He's an older guy but has been doing really well with his elevated shoes. However, with the weather change he is really having a hard time walking. I have tried many brand name supplements to help, but didn't exactly see results. I am open to brand suggestions, but mainly I am looking for an home remedies anyone has that keeps the horse comfortable and feel better? Want him back and good ASAP! Such a sweetheart. Thanks!
    It's not uncommon for horses who are prone to laminitis to go downhill when seasons change--it's because the nutritional content of pastures will fluctuate according to temperature and season, in addition to whether there has been rain or not. This year has been crazy with odd weather, unseasonable warm temperatures, and grass that is still growing in some places instead of being dormant.

If your guy is in pain, though, you have an immediate crisis to deal with that you will have to get under control with your vet, in addition to coming up with a way to ensure he gets enough nutrients in a manner that minimizes the threat to his metabolism.

I'll send you a PM to suggest some steps you can take to determine the best nutritional approach to take, and in the meantime, work with your vet and farrier to make your horse as comfortable as he can be.

My old retired guy is on Equioxx, expensive but worth every penny. He has been on joint supplements for years but went downhill last year. I was seriously considering whether we would have to put him down last winter. Now I was just at the barn and saw him catering with the other horses all the way across his large field, I couldn't believe it. He is comfortable and enjoying life again! We started him Eqioxx every day, and after fixing some other issues he is down to 2x week plus a joint supplement. There have been no side effects and I cant say enough about what a life changer is has been for my guy. Please talk to your vet immediately about pain management options. Sometimes, especially with older horses, the joints are just too far gone and all you can do is manage pain.

It sounds as if the laminitis is active. You need the vet out immediately.