The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default One horse, two riders/levels...

I have stumbled into a great opportunity to own a very nice prospect who is showing potential. My current horse and I are running Novice, plan is to move up to Training next spring. My trainer has no problem seeing us easily doing Training. We've schooled it with no problems. Stadium is our biggest obstacle, so to speak, at the moment.

However. Boarding two horses, even with a discount, is pricey. Campaigning two horses is damn near impossible. I would essentially have to alternate what horse I take to shows, except for local schooling shows. Shots/farrier/feed/etc is pricey, but absolutely do-able with some pinching and changing of things.

I have already thought about what I'm going to do with my current horse when I am ready to move beyond his capabilities. I don't want to relinquish ownership, but am thinking of doing a half-lease for the time being, and potentially a full lease. There is a girl at the barn who is ready to move up from her pony, and Trainer and I think they would make a good team. Only problem is, I do want to keep showing him for part of the year, and put at least two TL shows under our belt. She would be going BN and possibly N. Has anyone done anything like this with good results?

Yes, millions of lesson/college ponies, all over the world, handle riders of different skill levels on a regular basis.

Most horses will handle it just fine. There are a select few who truly are "one person" horses, but there aren't that many of them....it's more that there's a lot of crazy owners who say "Dobbin is bonded only to MEEEEEEEE!"

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL ok I set myself up for the lesson pony comparison.

I guess what I mean is, has anyone worked out a lease situation similar to this with good results? I don't want to deny the girl a fun season and I want to show the prospect, but I still want to be able to show my horse now and then. The family is super nice, I guess I'm just worried about it being an all or nothing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post

I guess what I mean is, has anyone worked out a lease situation similar to this with good results? I don't want to deny the girl a fun season and I want to show the prospect, but I still want to be able to show my horse now and then. The family is super nice, I guess I'm just worried about it being an all or nothing situation.

I think you'll be just fine with the half-lease situation. In most leases, the riders are never at the same skill level, and it can work out really well for both parties. Good rider keeps the horse in line, and gets the horse worked/$$ contributed. The less-experienced rider gets to ride a more advanced horse, while not being completely responsible for keeping it's training "up to date", as it were.

I was lucky enough to have a lease on a former 3* horse. I rode him preliminary and his owner rode him novice. He was fine and we both had a blast with him. I have also half leased mine in the past, but they were green, so both riders doing the same level, but no problems at all. Both Josie and Deltawave competed Keebler in the same year. He certainly didn't care. I think it can work very well making sure that the expectations are outlined in writing and that you figure out showing arrangements in advance.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I competed my horse at BN while my trainer kept her going at training and finished her at Prelim. She was conscious when riding her that I was the owner and kept her mind balanced at the higher level. When I rode her, I had confidence that the smaller stuff we did was nothing to worry about!

I competed my advanced horse while a student leased him and ran him preliminary. I found it was a great way to keep him fresh while putting fewer miles on him. People questioned it at times, but my horse never did.

Sure – its no problem at all. I was doing training level with my TB when my half lessor was doing BN. As long as the horse is not a hot head, who insists on galloping 500mpm on novice XC, it should be fine.

The only time I have seen “issues” wasn’t when a horse was doing two levels at once, but when upper level horses (intermediate +) moved down to the novice ranks with green riders – and would proceed to try to do advanced speed around a novice course!

I was the lessor on a horse years ago. I took him Novice, his owner did some jumper shows and a BN.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post

Happens all the time. Just work it out now in your lease what you both expect the competition season to be. Sit down with her and your trainer and map out his season. Pick the shows she will ride in and you will ride in. Lay out his typical weekly schedule (days he jumps, flats and hacks...days off). Make sure it is understood up front that the schedule will need to be flexible (lost shoes, lameness weather). What makes these lease situations work is flexibility and communication.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Awesome. Thank you for the positive reinforcement. He can get a bit strong on XC...in fact, I literally had to put him on his a$$ halfway through our course at a schooling show Sunday to remind him that yes, *I* was the brains of the operation, and NO, we're not going Prelim speed...but in his defense, it was chilly and he was feeling very "up" all day. When Trainer and I were discussing this whole scenario, her response was "Easy fix. bit him up." He is a very safe XC horse and she's a good rider. It will definitely not hurt my feelings to put him back in a kimberwicke with a kid.

I have no doubts we will be able to work out a good schedule. I just found out I'm going to miss the first HT of the year, so that can be her first recognized, which will work out great. Their schedule is pretty tight, so scheduling ride days/times won't be an issue. Plus it helps I work for my trainer, so we have all the horses on a weekly schedule, including lessons, so at a glance we can know who rides who on what day. I think of all the lease scenarios out there, this could hopefully end up being one of the best for both of us. Cross your fingers! Her first lesson on my horse is next week!