The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping from MD to Aiken - what should it cost? (and any shipper suggestions?)

I've hauled my horse myself from Maryland to Aiken the past four winters...but this year I've decided to take the plunge and send the horse down ahead to get whipped into shape before I come down (alas, I can only get away from work for a week, maybe two). I've started getting some quotes from commercial shippers...but I have no idea what it should cost, so I have no idea whether these quotes are reasonable or not!

What's the "going rate" for a trip like this...we're located just north of DC, so it's about 560mi.

Does anyone have any suggestions for commercial shippers...or ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance! I'm very nervous about sending my horse without me
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

If you can hitch a ride with someone who's not a commercial shipper, it'll save you $$$. I think I was quoted at least $600-700 when I was looking to send my guy south last February. Ended up paying around $300 to a girl going down for the Developing Rider sessions.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I used Brookledge to ship to CO; they are awesome but really expensive! You should be able to find a commercial shipper to do it for under $1000, but you can save a lot of $$ finding a spot on a private rig.

I've heard not-so-great things about Nationwide and also Bob Hubbard, who shipped one of our mutual friends' horse to CA a couple of years ago. Equine Express and McLemore seem to consistently get positive reviews on COTH. Good luck!

I think that Tara Ziegler is going down soon and has room to take another. you can find her on Facebook she probably has a website too

Yes, much less if you get someone who has a spare spot. Although, I paid $450 to have mine shipped with Sally Cousins' horses in 2011. She takes so many, she uses commercial along with her own rig, so you might call and check with her. Also, with Chris Talley/Ryan Wood, with the folks in Boyd's barn (Allison Howarth took one down for me last year from Unionville), Kate Chadderton, Molly Rosin, etc. Many may have connections, clients or their own empty spots. As far as commercial, I am very sad that Potomac is no longer in business. Used Brookledge for my last move (Florida to VA), but they are definitely on the high end of the scale cost-wise. The other I really like is Tapp transport.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Keep them coming! He's headed to Sally Cousins' farm down there, so I'm investigating that option...I'm looking to send him around the first week of January, so if anyone knows someone headed down around then with an empty spot, please let me know!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Highly recommend: www.fairwayhorsetransport.com
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

I paid 500/horse from Middleburg to Aiken last winter. (my whole barn filled the rig- 7 horses i think)

I'm not heading down until the end of Feb/beginning of March but I just saw Nate Chambers post this on facebook: "HEY EVERYONE!! I will begin my annual winter shipping runs just after Christmas through the end of January. I will be traveling back and forth from FL and PA as well as anywhere in between. Call me if you need help shiping horses south for the winter!! (703) 472-0063."

I'm taking a horse up to NY this weekend and charging $0.85/mile... that's what I was last told is the going rate. I would ballpark $500, one way.

We miss TJ and Potomac Horse Carriers too ;-( In his place, we've used Charlie and Holly Hill. Last year they charged $700/horse to go from MA-Aiken, 1003 miles. The horses all arrived fresh, fat and cheerful. I'd suggest giving them a call. How lucky are you to be going to Sal's!!?
    http://www.hollyhilltransport.com
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

We used Nate Chambers last winter, and he did a great job. His rig is very nice and he was easy to deal with.