The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter pony stallion recommendations?

Tentatively looking for a hunter stallion for a mare I have. She is 14.2 and I want to produce a large but I don't want a hony!. Her last foal was out of a 13 hand stallion and the baby ended at 13 hands.

My mare has a natural hunter-type carriage, and is flat kneed with a nice trot. Her trot could be a little more "toe flicking" but overall it's very good. She has a nice neck, nice straight legs, great feet, great temperament so none of those things are a concern. She jumps round but her knees are not perfectly even - close but not quite there. I would like a stallion who *consistently* produces quality hunter babies who can improve her canter and her jump, and who isn't likely to throw something with knee action. She is of a nice medium build, and so I am looking for a similar stallion - nothing too dinky or thick.

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

The first thing people need to know is, how is your mare bred? Purebred Welsh or crossbred and with what?

I'm assuming your mare is a crossbred based on her height. How is she bred? It will be very tough to breed her to get a large pony.......you're going to have to find a small hunter stallion in order to accomplish that OR a large Section B like Crossgates Larasan (14 hands) - www.venturestable.com.

Large Section B pony stallions are out there, but tough to find. I'd really only recommend you go with a purebred (assuming your mare is a crossbred).

Small hunter stallions are also going to be tough. Jupiter (warmblood) comes to mind as one but he is a crossbred.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

2 members found this post helpful.

I would recommend that you look at Romany River Talisman and Rotherwood Bo Jangles - both gorgeous British Riding ponies producing some very nice offspring
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you looked at Evan's Showtime Victory? www.legacysportponies.com