The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Non-Profit to Donate To

What is your favorite non-profit to donate to? Why?

We are so lucky to afford a hobby, and an expensive one at that. I often wonder where the proper place to donate is. Obviously, a horse related charity - but what is your favorite? Who do you believe in?

I personally have a soft spot for any military related charities, any reputable ones that involve horses as well?

1 members found this post helpful.

I donate to a local pet rescue. They are very small, volunteer run, and have mostly pittie crosses and undesirables.

I donate money, gift baskets for raffles and goodies!

Believe me I am not rolling in it, but I love being able to give the dogs at the shelter and it warms my heart to know I can help make a difference, even if its just a little goodie to brighten up a shelter dog's day.

I donate a % of my custom made items year round, and all my vintage items over 15.00 during the holidays to New Vocations. They do great work with off track Tbs and Standardbreds.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

I like to donate to local handicapped riding centers.

This is another organization I would suggest, Compton Jr. Posse, a group that brings riding to kids in Compton, and gets them out to real horse shows and international quality clinicians. I think it's really important to broaden the base of equestrian sport to more people.

http://www.comptonjrposse.org

I've also donated to the McPhail chair at MSU to help support equine-related scientific research by Dr. Hilary Clayton and her group:
    http://cvm.msu.edu/research/research...hilary-clayton

Another option is to donate to a local horse park or other shared facility, something that benefits riders across the area it serves.

These kinds of donations can make great barn xmas presents.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Animal-wise, I donate the most to Christian Veterinary Mission. Their vets are the ones that come out and treat our campus and local animals including the ponies.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Of course the rescue I run gets the most of my money, time, and stuff. But I have made a long term loan of one of my personal horses who is a retired show horse to a group that does Special Olympics competitions. I sometimes make small donations to other groups....if I had enough money, I would like to donate to a fund for scholarships for equine science students.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I donate to CDCTA which is dedicated to dressage and combined training in Virginia. They are a 501(c)(3) and do an incredible amount of work on a shoe string. Right now I am handling their Silent Auction which opens on 1/1.

I also donate to Lift Me Up Therapeutic Riding Center in Great Falls, VA. They have Fjords there and I have a soft spot for Fjords. Also, they do lots of great work on a shoe string.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I donate to Heifer International. I think it's one of the best charities in the world and I believe very strongly in their mission.

Horse and veteran related? http://www.horsesforheroes.org I don't know them personally, but they sound great.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

the horse and donkey trust for Gambia was the latest one.
    http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/05/05/ga.../#.UIX1-fWejTo
    the COTH group
    http://www.justgiving.com/screwpeta
    even though we have reached the goal, we can still give more
    (and I humbly thank Thomas1 for his generous donation! cantankerous as he might be, he has the heart in the right place)

I have given some crafts to a rescue nearby in the past but currently I am spread a little thin, mostly time and brain-power wise.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I donate to and recommend donating to the Animal Protection Society of Iowa (or something similar near you). They provide low cost or free pet spay or neuter. Also, our local shelter.

Since I own/run a horse rescue, and a large amount of my time/money is donated to that ... when I donate to other non-profits it tends to be non-horse related. Right now any of the "clean water" organizations tend to be my favorites. I admit it took Jef Holm being on The Bachelor to open my eyes to just how blessed we are to have such a ready supply of clean water - the quote about having "so much clean water" we go to the bathroom in it really got to me. I don't order People Water (I also don't buy shoes from Tom's), but will donate directly to the organizations that make the wells. I also tend to keep my support local - food pantries, coats for kids programs, homeless programs, etc.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

I like to donate to therapeutic riding centers (I live near Thorncroft), but my current favorite are organizations like this http://www.hero-dogs.org/ as well as this supported by Luis Carlos Montalvan opened my eyes to this idea http://invisiblehero.org/invisible-h...h-of-advocacy/
    and this is the organization Tuesday came from http://ecad1.org/ProjectHeal/Home.htm
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I think Wounded Warriers.org does some work with riding horses, but not sure.
    TB Friends is one of my favorites. If I wasn't feeding six foster cats who haven't adopted, I'd have more to donate. And they all started as kittens.....our groups adoptions are way, way down the last couple of years.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I like to do a little research to make sure my money is being used wisely...web sites like www.charitynavigator.org can help. They rate many animal-related charities.

I donate to CANTER, New Bolton Center, and the Work to Ride Program in Philly For me, Work to Ride is extra special as it gives hope and a chance to become something special to kids who come from the same backgrounds as the people I prosecute. They've been featured in a lot in magazines and television (because of their polo team and ties with Nacho), so you might assume they get tons of donations, but the woman who runs it told me they really don't. Here's the website - http://www.worktoride.net

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    I donate to CDCTA which is dedicated to dressage and combined training in Virginia. They are a 501(c)(3) and do an incredible amount of work on a shoe string. Right now I am handling their Silent Auction which opens on 1/1.

I also donate to Lift Me Up Therapeutic Riding Center in Great Falls, VA. They have Fjords there and I have a soft spot for Fjords. Also, they do lots of great work on a shoe string.
    I also donate to Lift Me Up since GF is my home town. It's a fantastic program!

Heifer International is my favourite, they do amazing work.

Horsey-wise, I like CANTER MA (where my boy came from) and TB Friends in CA.

The Brooke Hospital in Cairo and other places where donkeys and mules are worked so hard, this organization tries to train and help horseowners take better care for their little beasts of burden. www.thebrooke.org
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique