The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Arrow Neck cover sizing?

My horse is a 15.2-15.3h OTTB, wears a size 78 blanket. I've found a Dover Northwind neck cover for cheap, but have no idea how neck covers run size wise. It's a size large. Is there a general guidelines as to what constitutes a medium in neck covers, or a large? Trying to decide if this will fit my boy!

TIA for any advice!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

you're going to want a medium, they run on the big side i'd say.

I'd do a medium for a horse of that size unless he's got an unusually long neck for his size.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Yep, medium unless he has the neck of a giaraffe. My 15.3, short backed sized 76" blanket QH fits well in a medium. The neck size chart at Schneider's suggested a large for his blanket size and after reading the reviews, I went with the medium. Glad I did.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Oh, boo, haha. Was really hoping a large would work, since it's so cheap. But very glad I didn't buy it, and get stuck with it being useless. Thank you for the advice!!!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

LOL yes the Dover neck covers run large.

I bought a large for my 16.2h TB, who has a lot of neck. He wears a large neck in other brands.

OMG- the Dover Large is HUGE on him. It would fit a Draft horse.

I would get a medium. The large is HUGE! My 15.3hh big necked morgan fits in the medium with room to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    LOL yes the Dover neck covers run large.

I bought a large for my 16.2h TB, who has a lot of neck. He wears a large neck in other brands.

OMG- the Dover Large is HUGE on him. It would fit a Draft horse.
    I agree that the Dover's run HUGE! I have a 15.3 TB that wears a 75" blanket. I bought him a med neck cover and it is almost dangerously too large! The med Schneiders neck cover fits him perfectly, but it's a mid-weight, so it doesn't go on him very often.
    Cindy

Cloudy and Hattie have warmblood necks (short and chubby) so they were a large neck rug.

Callie was a sleek old fashioned elegant TB mare, but she too wore a large neck rug. You cannot go wrong with that for most horses. Actually, another cother in Florida has the "medium" neck rug that I bought for Callie once. It was a little tight on Callie. One X-large came with a rug for Cloudy, I don't know why, cause he wears a 78 rug, and it's ok. A little wide at the top of the neck, but OK.

The brands I've used are: Rambo, Bucas, Weatherbeeta and one from Schneider's brand. All the large neck rugs were consistent in size.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    The brands I've used are: Rambo, Bucas, Weatherbeeta and one from Schneider's brand. All the large neck rugs were consistent in size.
    The OP is talking about Dover's neck rugs. They run HUGE. The Dover large is actually nearly the same size than the Rambo/Amigo XL. I held them up side by side. The Dover neck rugs run ridiculously huge. To the point of absurdity.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Now I'm very glad I didn't buy it! My boy definitely doesn't have a big neck, he's more compact. I guess I'll have to think about getting it directly from Dover in a Medium if I decide to clip his neck. Oh well!

FYI: If anybody was looking for a large Dover Northwind neck cover, there's one for nearly half price on Ebay!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

Yep, we just bought the Northwind neck cover for our 17.1hh, 78" blanket, fairly long-necked but slender TB and the medium fits him quite well (with a bit of room to spare). You were right to pass, the large would have been HUGE.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

When Dover first started making the neck covers they only came in one size(large). My horse is the same size as yours and the large was too big for her. What I did to make it work better was to move the atachments on the neck cover so it kept it from sliding down over her head. I was really glad when they came up with a medium size.

I had the same experience with the Dover Northwind neck covers.

Bought a large for my 16.1 TB who wears a 78" blanket, and he SWIMS in the neck cover. It's kind of ridiculous. What horse wears something that big?