The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is Chiropractic/Acupuncture Work Needed?

As a back story my gelding foundered back in September and has made positive steps in recovering. We are to the point that we are mainly focusing on making sure the new hoof grows out correctly.

Unfortunately this horse has never had great feet and is club footed on the right front. I know our overall goal in the long run will be to balance his hooves out as well as his body since he tends to be uneven.

I'm wondering if while we are doing this he might benefit from some chiropractic work or acupuncture. The vet checked his acupuncture points in October and he didn't react anywhere but I'm wondering if when we lower the heel on his club foot if it might help to then supplement with chiropractic care or acupuncture.

Anyone else had experience in similar situation?

Post neurectomy, as he relearned how to use his body, my guy benefited from chiropractic care

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    Post neurectomy, as he relearned how to use his body, my guy benefited from chiropractic care
    That's what I'm thinking especially as the heel is lowered on the club foot and since you can see how unbalanced his body is at the moment (his right shoulder is smaller then his left which corresponds to the right front being clubbed). I just wasn't sure how much help it might be as he is not being ridden again yet and we aren't making major changes to the heel for a few more weeks. Maybe schedule the chiropractor for the day after the farrier comes and makes the changes?

Post founder, I've used chiro, e-stim, and massage. My horse loved all of it and it really relaxed him and his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Marla 100 View Post
    Post founder, I've used chiro, e-stim, and massage. My horse loved all of it and it really relaxed him and his body.
    Out of curiosity was your horse body sore at all before you had him worked on? I only ask because when the vet checked his acupuncture meridians in October he wasn't showing soreness anywhere. However, as major changes are made to his feet I am curious if it will help him adjust more easily.

I think it's of huge benefit any time the horse has some physical change to adjust to. We had a few adjustments done on a horse who lost his eye in September. At the first adjustment, he was a bit of a trainwreck, most likely because he had been turning his head constantly to see out of his remaining eye. After the surgery he came back even sounder and better than before. I definitely think it made a difference in keeping him even and comfortable.