The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm so sorry... how terrifying and worrysome!!! I agree with Grattaan... I'd worry about neck stuff... but also neuro stuff. I'd go ahead and schedule an appt with a university/specialty clinic. And do please be careful. He'll not hurt you on purpose, but when they are seizuring, they are not aware of what they are doing. Good luck! Saying a prayer for you and Gully.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Oh crap. I'd start with cervical rads and a neuro exam, grab some lab samples, and hire an equine ambulance to get him to the nearest VTH for in-depth studies. I wouldn't try hauling him in my personal rig unless I could get him slinged in there. I would not delay.

I'll put extra long jingly curb chains on everyone I ride today.
    I know that you, Gully, would not take anyone's words as actual vet advice, but just a heads up in case this person PMs you. They have been pretending to be an equine vet on this board and apparently they are not a vet, but a small animal vet tech. See the thread in Off Course.

I hope Gully will be ok.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

10 members found this post helpful.

I'd rather agree with a vet than some random poster on a BB.

Please call your vet ASAP. That is frightening and just realize that he could crush you if this happened at the wrong moment. Please do not delay- I totally get 'frozen in the moment' but that moment's passed- get on the phone!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    There is a commonality here...when he went to take OFF the Halter...When you put on his grazing muzzle..it IS Poll or head oriented...GET the VET.....
    Agreed, this was what struck me as well. The issue appears to be related to movement near the poll.

2 members found this post helpful.

Gully, call your vet, or call the vet clinic you're planning to haul to. Ask a a vet in real life for advice on how to haul him.

Jingles.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

5 members found this post helpful.

Just sending the best for you and Gully. Seizures are frightening to see, the only consolation is that usually the animal is not truly conscious during this time. I hope your vets can give you some guidance. <3

Sending jingles.

Any news?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

It is always scary when any animal -- dog or horse or person -- has a seizure. I sincerely hope you are doing OK and your basement problem got fixed and your poor horseshoer wasn't too traumatized. When you can update us on Gully, please do --- and make sure you stay safe in the meantime!
    Jingles.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Ugh, massive jingles your way!

I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with a young horse with (a) brain tumor(s). She would have fairly random episodes where she would just freak out and one time ended "running blind" back home after she got away from her owner and basically through a fence. She also started with poll pain symptoms. She was humanely euthanized as she was a danger to herself and the people around her.

Thanks, everybody. I'm going to call UT tomorrow and see about taking him in for a workup; the local vets don't handle stuff like this. For sure the farrier didn't inject him--I keep my horses on my property, and the farrier's an old and trusted friend. Plus I was right there for half Gully's shoeing (and for the 3 horses that preceded him). How common are brain tumors in horses? I hate this.

Gully's pilot, here's hoping it's as easily resolved as the mini across the road. He hit his head trying to sneak in through the gate. Owner is a newbie, didn't call the vet out right away, the next day he had a seizure and obvious neuro problems. A couple days of steroids (about a week IIRC) and he's as good as new.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

More jingles for you all - hope an easy solution is found.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Just so you know, seizures have absolutely nothing to do with the neck. They are specifically derived from the cerebrum (forebrain) and occasionally the midbrain.

Brain tumors are not common in horses, but yes they do happen. Brain abscesses can also happen; caused by the same organism that causes strangles. Really you just need to get him into your clinic as soon as possible and get the work up done. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!

2 members found this post helpful.

I would be more worried about something like EPM than a brain tumor....but regardless....try not to imagine or worry about what could be wrong. Try not to stress...I know, easier said than done. Take things one step at a time. All you know now is that something was/is wrong with him. You will get him to the vet asap and try and find out what it is and what you can do. When you know more...you will deal with it then but for now, try not to think about possible worst case scenarios...it will not help. Thinking positive thoughts for you!!!!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by justhoofit View Post
    Just so you know, seizures have absolutely nothing to do with the neck. They are specifically derived from the cerebrum (forebrain) and occasionally the midbrain.

Brain tumors are not common in horses, but yes they do happen. Brain abscesses can also happen; caused by the same organism that causes strangles. Really you just need to get him into your clinic as soon as possible and get the work up done. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!
    Thank you!! Here I am reading all this stuff about the neck and cervical vertebrae, and I'm like Huh??? What does the spine have to do with a seizure? A seizure is neuronal misfiring in the cortex and mesial structures of the brain, as mentioned, sometimes midbrain. You can't have a seizure originating from the spine or in the spine in any way. But it was a fun read about an imaginary world.

The advice about magical neck problems in relation to seizures, and about getting cervical scans, etc. is the PERFECT example of why you DON'T ask for advice on a horse bulletin board. Glad to hear the OP is going to talk to her regional vet school people.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

Not saying anything about any of the other vets in this area but I would trust noone but Dr D locally. Is there some reason you would not call him? He could at least tell you what he thinks and refer you on if needed. He has helped me in more ways then I could write! The best and most skillful field vet I have ever come across and that says alot. Not to mention he is surgically trained and the most up to date on all the latest procedures.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    Thank you!! Here I am reading all this stuff about the neck and cervical vertebrae, and I'm like Huh??? What does the spine have to do with a seizure? A seizure is neuronal misfiring in the cortex and mesial structures of the brain, as mentioned, sometimes midbrain. You can't have a seizure originating from the spine or in the spine in any way. But it was a fun read about an imaginary world.

The advice about magical neck problems in relation to seizures, and about getting cervical scans, etc. is the PERFECT example of why you DON'T ask for advice on a horse bulletin board. Glad to hear the OP is going to talk to her regional vet school people.
    Thanks for backing me up. One very uneducated poster felt the need to leave me a "bad" feedback rating - not sure why; if they would just do some reading they would learn. Oh well.

I've got an appointment for UT for all day on Monday. Don't worry, guys, Mr. GP is actually Dr. GP, and I have a pretty clear idea of how seizures happen. Europa, I figure this is likely to need some advanced diagnosis; even Dr. D is hampered by not having the university's equipment.

He seems fine--I watched him for a long time yesterday and I don't see any other obvious neuro symptoms. Of course we're being extremely careful around him, and I'm going with the assumption that something's very wrong whether we can see symptoms or not.

I know the UT vets will try their hardest to find you some answers! Neuro problems can be quite difficult to figure out. Jingles and best of luck for Monday! I hope they can figure out what's going on with poor Gully!
    "There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." - Robert Smith Surtees