The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting new product

This is not an ad. It's a new product that deserves exposure, as it fills an unmet need.

At Equine Affaire I happened upon a pair of useful products that I had never seen before. To be clear, I have nothing to do with either of these companies, and have no potential gain here.
    Product #1. Equi Flexsleeve. This is a compression sock to be used in place of a standing wrap. My sister, who is a (human) massage therapist and is very up to date with circulation, etc. looked at these and gave them the OK. They come in sizes. www.flexsleeve.com It says they are not for turnout, but I asked, because I really wanted to use them with product #2. The person at the booth said to try it. So I did.
    Sunny had a substantial ding which wasn't healing really well and he kept knocking the scab off. I used the flexsleeve with product #2, full turnout for 3 days, the sock slipped down maybe 3/4 inch on the rainy day. I'm pretty darned impressed.
    Product #2. Silver contact dressing available through farriersmagic.com. A silver -impregnated mesh. I put it over the wound, pulled the sock on , and when i took it off 3 days later, healing was substantial. These products work really well together, and I love new stuff that works.

https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...PAXP-deijE.gifFlexsleeve, LLC. - HOME Page
    flexsleeve.comEqui Flexsleeve The New Way to Treat Your Horse's Legs

madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

7 members found this post helpful.

Very interesting.

I wonder if the Flexsleeve could be used at shows instead of standing wraps? It looks like that is what they are saying.

I couldn't find the silver contact dressing on the farriersmagic website.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Hmm, I'm intrigued by the Flexisleeve for sure. I have a older TB with chronic lymphangitis, who seems to do better with a compression wrap on when stalled. I might have to order one to see what I can do with it.

try here for the silver dressing:

http://www.fine-silver-productsnet.com/vetagcare.html
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

1 members found this post helpful.

I spoke with the woman who had the Flexsleeve there, and yes, she was saying that the product's intended to be used in place of standing wraps. I tried one on my arm - it was interesting, and actually provided more support than I'd anticipated it would.

I've used silver mesh dressings for years on different types of human wounds. Works great on most. Really helps to reduce bacterial counts.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I want to be a believer, but I will need someone to give feedback on how long they last -- with wearing and washing and wearing and washing..... How long can the elasticity remain strong?

If they can stay "like new" for 20 washings, I am a customer. Otherwise, the good old standing wraps will stay in my grooming stall cupboard.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

2 members found this post helpful.

How easy is it to take on/off? (thinking of using in place of standing wraps at shows)
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Hmm, I'm intrigued by the Flexisleeve for sure. I have a older TB with chronic lymphangitis, who seems to do better with a compression wrap on when stalled. I might have to order one to see what I can do with it.
    Yes, I could see it being helpful in that situation. My older TB with chronic lymphangitis was euthed due to it 18 months ago but if I still had him I would definitely give it a try.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    How easy is it to take on/off? (thinking of using in place of standing wraps at shows)
    That is what I was wondering too. Do not look like they would be easy to wiggle on over a no bow or pillow wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    That is what I was wondering too. Do not look like they would be easy to wiggle on over a no bow or pillow wrap.
    I just went to the Schnieder's website, and it looks like you have to put some sort of plastic wrap (not included) on over the hoof so you can slip it on without snagging. I can see this maybe being a little more tedious at a show unless you could develop a system/get used to it quickly. Although, if it were more beneficial then I can't see that being too much of a hassle.
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

It looks like the sleeve is expected to be used right against the leg, no wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    Easy. Just put a gallon ziplock over the hoof. Slide the sleeve up a little beyond where you want it. Slide down to get the hair right. Remove baggie.
    madeline

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    It doesn't go over any wrap.
    madeline

How stretchy are they? It looks like you'd really have to struggle to get it on, and make all the hair rub in the opposite direction. I hate mussed-hair-shifted-wrap look.

I would be worried that any slippage could cause serious binding.

Edited to add - I have worn a compression sock for swelling after an ankle injury. Any little wrinkle in the sock would cause an indentation on my ankle - from the increased pressure. I had to be very careful to keep the sock smoothed out, and pulled up at all times, otherwise it would bind, constrict, and be very uncomfortable.

These seem like an interesting idea. Having had to bandage a leg (covering a wound) for a month once - I would have appreciated the breathability of these. But, I would be very worried about binding and constricting if they slipped, or a horse (like mine that likes to bite at wraps) pulled it out of place.

Personally, I would not use these unattended.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Dec. 7, 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Easy. Just put a gallon ziplock over the hoof. Slide the sleeve up a little beyond where you want it. Slide down to get the hair right. Remove baggie.
    Oh ok! Using a ziplock sounds like it would be pretty easy! Do you know how the sizing runs? I wish they had a chart

Here are the sizes:
    Length: Cannon bone to mid-pastern
    top: Around cannon just below joint
    bottom: Circumference of pastern at widest point

1; L 9.5, t 8.0, b 10.5 ( small front, xs hind)
    2: L 10, t 8.5, b 11 (M front)
    3: L 10.5, t 9.5, b 12.5 (L front)
    4: L 11, t 9.5, b 12.0 ( S hind)
    5: L 12, t 9.5, b 12 (M hind)
    6: L 13.0, t 10.5, b 13 ( L hind)

And they come in colors, too.
    madeline

wish they made one to cover the hock. i've got a human compression sock on my mare for a capped hock and I can't get the dang thing to stay in place.

Looks cool though! I'd buy them just to not have to mess with re-wrapping bandages at shows!

@Madeline: Thanks!