The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Where I've boarded, they have everyone (with maybe one or two exceptions) on Strategy. All are fat and slick. Seriously, you go there and its Fat Camp.
    Some horses are on some additional supplements, and one or two are on a different feed, but not because the Strategy didn't work, but because the owner has had the horse on something else before moving there.

Now, feed alone is not the reason. She feeds really nice hay, and her fields are immaculately tended to.

I don't have mine on Strategy at home because I have all ponies, who need a lower NSC, but on a healthy adult horse I wouldn't hesitate to put them on it.

I've also really become fond of the Triple Crown Feeds, after seeing the results of the Senior on my cushings pony.

why is fat camp a good thing?

Fat =/= healthy. Nor is it a sign of good husbandry.
    Click here before you buy.

No, not what I meant, my exaggeration. What I meant was when horses come in (off the track,etc) they bloom. Some are a little, erm, plump, but none (besides my fat-on-air pony) are obese.

My point was really to stress that the quality hay and pasture is also a huge factor in diet.
    Last edited by spacytracy; Dec. 8, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

You are just a boarding barn? I would let the owners buy and supply anything in addition to hay that they wanted fed to their horses. That is how the majority used to be run and I think it would make your life a whole lot easier.

Only if the OP has unlimited grain storage space, 100% reliable owners who never forget to buy grain, not to mention time and staff to manage feeding instructions for 12 different horses on 12 different feeds, with a plan in place for owner input as to changes.

It certainly can be done, but IME it is not the norm, nor particularly easy for a busy barn to manage.
    Click here before you buy.

Everyone at our barn provides their own grain but all 12 horses are on different but very similar (seminole, TC, buckeye, etc.) brands of a complete senior feed or a ration balancer. 1/4-1 lb of ration balancer or 4-8 lbs of complete takes care of everyone on property along with amply hay and grazing.

I think a ration balancer, complete feed (low nsc), and a high quality fat supplement, should cover 95% of your needs.

Grace, that is totally the way I'm leaning, Masterfeeds make a high fat supplement called Finishing Touch that I've heard great things about.
    I think that mixed with oats and a ration balancer and/or beet pulp would cover most of them.
    I am so attracted to textured feeds, I don't know why, it's totally the aesthetic. It's so much nicer looking than a bowl of pellets. I've heard great things about the Seminole wellness but I can't get that here. The feed store guy is still touting Cavalor and I am very attracted to the smell and look but not the price. Plus, it's a lot lower fat than the others. I think I will go with masterfeeds and find what works out of their line.
    Thanks again for all of the advice.

PS, it's typical that all boarding barns here include concentrate in board.