The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Well said. The unelected board elected another board and then elected a president in a most suspect and unethical way. I'm ashamed to be a member of this organization, and beyond frustrated that I *have* to be a member and pay dues to these clowns.
    Moi aussi. I have no respect for these people or this organization. The fact I have no choice really frustrates me. What is the point of the USHJA? What's in it for me? I'm sick of monopolies in this sport!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I understand what they do, but if nonmember fees weren't 30 dollars a show then I would not be a member. It makes it cheaper just to be a member with the amount of shows I do. If there were no nonmember fees, or if they were closer to 2-5 dollars, then I certainly wouldn't be a member.

I feel that USHJA as an organization has ZERO regards for what it members actually wants. It's ridiculous that only a small board has a chance to vote on matters, that's like an electoral college made entirely of Republicans or Democrats, despite a popular vote of the opposite from the actual people. The government of the USHJA takes a very close resemblance to an oligarchy, and a very biased one at that. It is truly ridiculous and not run with the best interest of its members.

And this is coming from a junior member. Once kids have a problem with it, you know "ya dun goofed".

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    A most disappointing outcome.

The USHJA has now demonstrated that it is an organization that is not due our respect. The Board has chosen to re-elect a man that failed to groom and train his successor. The Board has chosen to re-elect a man that first supported and then undermined a professional colleague.

The Board had the chance to enhance the organization's credibility and to endorse that the organization had the maturity and established leadership with the ability and confidence to move forward - they chose not to.

There is truly no excuse.
    I couldn't agree more. From the perspective of an outsider (I am a member but not connected to the leadership at all) it is baffling to me how Moroney could groom and nominate somebody else to fill his position and then change his mind within a couple of weeks of the election.

The USEF board does not represent our interests as amateur competitors even though we constitute the vast majority of the membership.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Agree and moreover... I can't figure out what the USHJA DOES for ME except take my money routinely?!
    Ya but, it's always been like this. No matter how many times the AHSA/USEF/USHJA reinvents itself, it's still the same old sheep in wolf's clothing.

I've been a member since 1960. This organization has not changed, in my opinion, in all that time, nor will it EVER change. I'm continually amazed that people are still assuming that somehow, the USEF and all its (now) affiliates will miraculously transform itself into some sort of representative organization. Won't happen. You have to join, they know it, and treat you accordingly.

Personally, I think the AHSA/USEF/USHJA sucks, has always sucked, and will continue to suck in the future.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

3 members found this post helpful.

They have everyone over a barrel, the non-member showing fee.

Too bad there's no way to remove the barrel, because if enough people stopped joining they would start listening.

It irritates me that I have to join, because the organization seemingly does nothing for me as an amateur who shows once or so a month., But it's too expensive not to join.

Ive often wondered about the legality of essentially forcing people to join an organization just to be able to compete at sanctioned events. And also if this happens in other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by jody jaffe View Post
    Ive often wondered about the legality of essentially forcing people to join an organization just to be able to compete at sanctioned events. And also if this happens in other sports.
    Yes, definitely happens in other sports.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Yes, definitely happens in other sports.
    Which ones?

Which ones?
    Well, figure skating for one, you have to be a USFSA member. I believe rowing also - my boss who rows sculls isn't here to ask at the moment but I do STR having a convo w/ him about NGBs & him stating something along the lines of "we just pay our dues and shut up"...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    I couldn't agree more. From the perspective of an outsider (I am a member but not connected to the leadership at all) it is baffling to me how Moroney could groom and nominate somebody else to fill his position and then change his mind within a couple of weeks of the election.

The USEF board does not represent our interests as amateur competitors even though we constitute the vast majority of the membership.
    I have to tell you, I'm a professional and the USEF board doesn't represent my interests either. But, with that being said, I'm not a pro in the sense of having clients and training people.

Having only shown local, I'm not a member. What IS their role supposed to be, in all seriousness? Do they have an agenda? Or are they supposed to, anyway?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I was planning to join as an affiliate, even though I'm not likely to be doing any showing whatsoever, because I wanted to support programs like the EAP. I will not be doing that.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Thanks for the regrettable but predictable report, Tackpud. As you know I went to the convention for years. Once i fully understood that all major decisions are made prior to the meetings and most opinions were not welcome regarding anything unless about elevating the needs of the 1% I found it an execise in futility to attend.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

4 members found this post helpful.

Which ones?
    Youth Sports, hockey=USHockey, lacrosse=USLacrosse, even if you play rec(in house) you have to pay a membership fee

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Having only shown local, I'm not a member. What IS their role supposed to be, in all seriousness? Do they have an agenda? Or are they supposed to, anyway?
    Well, that's part of the problem. The way the USEF is currently set up, each discipline has to have a national governing body. USHJA is ours. However, the USHJA does not really have any power. They can make recomendations on rules they want passed or declined to the USEF board, but don't have rules of their own to enforce.

USHJA has the ability to create and run programs - EAP, International Hunter Derby, etc - and has done a good job of creating those. But they are aimed primarily at the top echelon of the sport. That doesn't do a lot of good for those who only show occasionally. Clinics and the TCP are great - but expensive. Again, while well meaning, they have been aimed at those who can afford them. There are ways to help with costs but those haven't been well advertised. How many of you know that you can apply to your zone committee for funding for the TCP or EAP? How many of you know that the Outreach program will piggy back on an existing organizations year end medal finals and reward those who are USHJA members? The problem is communication. The lack of communication is appalling and what needs to be changed. Mary would have gotten the organization on that track and that is the biggest loss right now.

I don't know that all the affiliates are this way. I signed up for USDF last year because my horse went to DAD. I got all sorts of information about programs, breed-specific awards, etc. that I could enter him in. I felt like there was a lot more aimed at the amateur level and that your yearly fee actually bought you something if you were so-inclined to go for awards. I don't really feel that way about the USHJA.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Just to add to the membership fee part of this....intercollegiate riders have to have at least a collegiate membership. I go for a regular membership in the instance I end up showing at a recognized show. If it wasn't a requirement for IHSA I probably wouldn't be a member at all and just eat the 30 buck non member fee as I don't show that much.

I think riders at zones last year got a pen and coffee cup....woohoo

And Mary....I am so disappointed in this whole scenario. I had really hoped that she would be elected as she really is a class act and I think would have been a breath of fresh air instead of the same hot stink that is usually blown our way.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Re. intercollegiate membership... as captain of my alma mater's IHSA team the year that went into effect, I was pretty steamed about that. Here we had a bunch of girls who realistically were not going to go to Nationals who were paying for everything out of pocket with very little school support, and the extra fee meant we lost riders. The extra $15 really was the straw that broke the camel's back for them. When we first discussed it at our open meeting, I was asked "What does the USHJA membership do for us?" I had to answer truthfully. "Nothing."
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

A most disappointing outcome.

The USHJA has now demonstrated that it is an organization that is not due our respect. The Board has chosen to re-elect a man that failed to groom and train his successor. The Board has chosen to re-elect a man that first supported and then undermined a professional colleague.

The Board had the chance to enhance the organization's credibility and to endorse that the organization had the maturity and established leadership with the ability and confidence to move forward - they chose not to.

There is truly no excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Well said. The unelected board elected another board and then elected a president in a most suspect and unethical way. I'm ashamed to be a member of this organization, and beyond frustrated that I *have* to be a member and pay dues to these clowns.
    Late to this conversation but I totally agree. Beyond disappointing. I am very glad I am doing dressage now.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

The IHSA connection really steams me as a coach. It's fine if the IHSA wants to be affiliated, but don't make everyone buy a USHJA membership as well. The cost is annoying and the paperwork is a pain in the a**.

6 members found this post helpful.

Hope y'all will forgive a soft derail to thank Tackpud for her well thought out and detailed posts from the convention! Thank you!!

I'm disappointed also, even though I won't be showing rated after all in the next few years. First and foremost I think what we ALL would wish for would be an H/J affiliate that earns our RESPECT, and doesn't leave us all wondering where all the money went!

Lest anyone think it's only the "little people" (to bring back an old contentious phrase!) that don't feel well represented under the present regime, permit me to pass on some intelligence I gleaned at the Natl. Horse Show (had a BLAST BTW, y'all should GO!). The way the layout of the place was, you had the spectators & exhibitors on one long side and on the opposite side were the private boxes for the high mucky-mucks of, in order, USHJA, USEF, the FEI, and Alltech. I ended up at one point sitting next to some "None Mo' Bigger" hunter and eq. riders/trainers, and overheard one bitterly complaining to another that the only time there was EVER anyone in the USHJA box was when the jumpers were in the ring. The rest of the time the only person in the USHJA box was their private bartender. I had just gotten there & thought "Well, there surely must be a certain amount of exaggeration in that remark." But you know what? There wasn't. I kind of made it a point to look after that, not that it was difficult - it was painfully noticeable in fact - and the BNTs who were speaking were absolutely right. USHJA's headquarters is not EVEN five minutes down the road on foot, and they can't be bothered to show up and at least LOOK like they are supporting the biggest of big-name hunter trainers and eq. trainers at the NATIONAL? Wow. At least give some hard-working USHJA clerical workers the day off and let THEM sit there so it doesn't look *quite* so much like you don't give a FF. I mean - I *swear* to you that the FEI peeps showed up at 6:00 a.m. for the first round of Maclay Finals. USEF... A few did... USHJA? Not one. living. soul. Except the bartender, who didn't come on duty until 10 a.m.

I can't be the only one who has noticed USEF's focus seems to be very much moving in the direction of the GP ring, but if you do hunters or Big Eq. at the "A"s right now, I feel ya when you say you're not represented, b/c the empty USHJA box at the National REALLY said it all.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief