The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    Which ones?
    USA Cycling requires a racing license to race in sanctioned races. If you’re looking to compete in a USA Cycling-sanctioned race in the United States, you’ll need a USA Cycling racing license. There are two ways to obtain a USA Cycling racing license:

You can buy an annual racing license ($60 for adults; $30 for junior or collegiate) which covers you in all USA Cycling races and expires on December 31.
    OR, if you don’t plan to get your money’s worth out of an annual license, you can go one race at a time with one-day-licenses which cost $10 each. These can be purchased on site at the race you choose to enter.

They only have one organization to join though, not two and of course it is only the rider that needs to be a member. Their fees are much cheaper too.

You do have to pay an additional $30 per discipline to have a license to race in say road racing and mountain bike races.

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    Which ones?
    USA Cycling requires a racing license to race in sanctioned races. If you’re looking to compete in a USA Cycling-sanctioned race in the United States, you’ll need a USA Cycling racing license. There are two ways to obtain a USA Cycling racing license:

You can buy an annual racing license ($60 for adults; $30 for junior or collegiate) which covers you in all USA Cycling races and expires on December 31.
    OR, if you don’t plan to get your money’s worth out of an annual license, you can go one race at a time with one-day-licenses which cost $10 each. These can be purchased on site at the race you choose to enter.

They only have one organization to join though, not two and of course it is only the rider that needs to be a member. Their fees are much cheaper too.

You do have to pay an additional $30 per discipline to have a license to race in say road racing and mountain bike races.

As an IHSA member, I was also annoyed about the necessity to join USHJA. I can't really see what they do for people at the lower end of the sport. There aren't even any clinics near me, that I've seen! While $15 is not a ton of money, it just seems pointless-- take the $60 you would have spent over 4 years and buy yourself whatever prize they're giving out! It also drives away those who are just thinking about entering the sport. At that point, not only do they have to buy all the necessary equipment (including show clothes if they can't borrow), they have to join lots of organizations and fill out lots of paperwork. This is not a great introduction to those who might have initially been interested in becoming involved with horses.

In regards to non-member fees, do those go to the USHJA or to show management (I'm not familiar with how A shows work). If they go to USHJA, you can't win!

Fees go to USHJA. None of that goes to the show.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Well, figure skating for one, you have to be a USFSA member .
    Only if you want to test, or compete in USFS recognized events (which are geared almost entirely to supporting the Olympic-stream kids. There is Adult Nationals now, but almost anyone can go, and Adult "Worlds" are an entirely separate event pretty much anyone can show up for, too. But Adult Nats now EXISTS, because USFS listened to what their members wanted.) And if you don't want to do USFS at all, you can test and skate in ISI events. You can't go to the Olympics that route as USFS is the ISU-IOC affiliate, but for the 99% of skaters, it's not REALLY that important.

And most USFS memberships are bought as part of joining a Skating Club, where you have other benefits like club-only ice time, shows, team memberships, etc. I used to work for the Skating Club of Boston in the cafe, and as an employee I got to pay member rates for ice time, which was a nice discount from a non-member fee. Little things like that add up. If I were going to get back into skating (ie lived a lot nearer a rink) I would reup my membership. Of course it's only about $85 a year last I looked.

Whereas I'm not really hearing anything that makes me want to join USHJA....Is he now President-for-Life Moroney?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I joined USEF but not USHJA last year as my small protest. I didn't show at any USEF-rated shows so it's not much of a protest, but at least they didn't get any of my money. I did join USEA (the eventing affiliate) as a full member, remembering the bygone days when you could join USEF and USEA and show HJ, eventing and dressage without paying a non-member fee. My USEF was a three-year renewal and this year I renewed with USEA as a non-competing member.

I figure that, between the 13-y.o. with the neck arthritis that I haven't been jumping and who gets a bit exuberant in group flat classes and the 3 y.o. that's barely started I am not too likely to see the inside of a USEF show, or at least enough of them to trigger making a membership worth it.

Why did I join USEF? I feel some obligation to support the parent ship and I love USEF Network.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I agree about being held hostage and HAVING to belong if we list hunter or jumper on our USEF membership! i mostly show breed shows but occassionaly would like to do open hunter shows but the extra costs of having my riders, owners, and horses have to belong makes the cost so much worse, especially when I don't see the organization doing that much for us at the lower end of the spectrum.