The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moroney's re-election

Just saw on my Facebook news feed from the Chronicle that Bill Moroney had been re-elected as president of USHJA.

I'm deeply disappointed in the members of the Board who voted for him.

I guess I just opened up this thread to hear everyone else's opinions and such...
    Does anyone have any insight as to what caused so many people to vote his way?

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes - it us true. Bill was re-elected. Mary gave an excellent speech that was extremely well received by those in attendance. She does remain as a vice president due to her position as head of the hunter working group.

Ugh wish Mary would have been elected. She is a class act. I really hope she will run again. I have no trust in Moroney

Sorry - I was typing on my iPhone earlier so couldn't write more. On the notebook now so I'll try to fill in some blanks.

At the Hunter Rule Change forum this morning there was about 1/2 an hour of open time where a few people asked some questions about the process and what led up to this point. It was brought up that the process seemed really hidden and no one really understood what had gotten us to this point. Shelby French gave a clear time line of the process and what the nominating committee had done, Bill's nomination of Mary, and then his nomination from the floor. Shelley Campf spoke asking people to please speak up instead of talking in the halls. My only issue with that was that this was the first opportunity anyone has had in all the conventions to speak freely - usually we are in meetings that are discussing rule changes and don't have time to ask questions of the board in an open forum setting. Bill then stepped up and blew smoke up everyone's a**. I really think an open forum with no set topics should be added to the agenda each year to air the dirty laundry.

At the board meeting, Sally Ike once again went over the process and then Mary and Bill both had a chance to speak. Both are excellent speakers but approached the election from different points of view. Bill emphasized the need for continuity of leadership while the organization is restructuring itself, and Mary spoke of her leadership abilities and the need for transparency in the organization. The audience seemed to cheer a bit more for Mary, but I did notice a group on one side who didn't raise their hands at all and just shook their heads at her speech. Bill received applause from that group. Honestly - the election had already been decided before either candidate spoke - probably before we even arrived down here in Miami. Mary has a long list of successes in her career, but done quietly and a lot of people don't know her. Bill's name is out in the media and he has his hand in everyone's business.

I hope the people who are newly elected onto the board will listen to a lot of what was said today and open their ears to the members. While we don't have a new president, we still have a new governance structure that can take us far and we have strong leaders in top positions in that structure. Mary is president of the hunter working group and willing to listen to anyone with an idea or a thought. (It doesn't have to be about hunters...) She will continue to push for open lines of communication and for the general membership to become more involved. Don't give up because she didn't win - trust her to continue to what she would have done as president in a different fashion from the VP chair.

11 members found this post helpful.

A most disappointing outcome.

The USHJA has now demonstrated that it is an organization that is not due our respect. The Board has chosen to re-elect a man that failed to groom and train his successor. The Board has chosen to re-elect a man that first supported and then undermined a professional colleague.

The Board had the chance to enhance the organization's credibility and to endorse that the organization had the maturity and established leadership with the ability and confidence to move forward - they chose not to.

There is truly no excuse.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    A most disappointing outcome.

The USHJA has now demonstrated that it is an organization that is not due our respect. The Board has chosen to re-elect a man that failed to groom and train his successor. The Board has chosen to re-elect a man that first supported and then undermined a professional colleague.

The Board had the chance to enhance the organization's credibility and to endorse that the organization had the maturity and established leadership with the ability and confidence to move forward - they chose not to.

There is truly no excuse.
    Well said. The unelected board elected another board and then elected a president in a most suspect and unethical way. I'm ashamed to be a member of this organization, and beyond frustrated that I *have* to be a member and pay dues to these clowns.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wanderlust - just to be clear. The outgoing board elected the officers first, then elected the incoming board. Or actually - just elected a few new people and a number of returning members. Very disappointing.

Disappointed but far from surprised. Business as usual.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's a good ol' boys club.

Disappointed but not surprised.

Pathetic. I wish I had a choice not to be apart of this organization.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby G. Weber View Post
    Disappointed but far from surprised. Business as usual.
    Yup....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

For those of us who think that this was disappointing but just what was expected..... how do you justify that your money is being used to support it ..... Just asking, and I do know that is no avoiding it in many ways ......

Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    Wanderlust - just to be clear. The outgoing board elected the officers first, then elected the incoming board. Or actually - just elected a few new people and a number of returning members. Very disappointing.
    Understood, and yes, so disappointing. I was just pointing out the fact that the members of USHJA don't do any electing... all electing is done by a board who is not elected by the general membership.

Wish there was some way to "vote with my feet" against this organization, but how do you do that when you need to be a member in order to compete?

I can't justify that my money is being used to support it, but I have clients that go to the "AA" shows so I have to be a member. So I come to the convention every year and attempt to make a small difference. Don't worry - I'm not delusional - I know I'm not going to change everything, but I have been on the Youth Committee since the start and we are making a difference. We've started an amazing program in the Horsemanship Quiz Challenge and are moving forward with more.

Wanderlust -Gotcha! Very true - we don't vote on electing the board. But we do get to elect our Zone leaders and everyone needs to vote when that comes along. Apparently only about 9% of the membership voted in the Zone elections this year - that's pitiful. Everyone wants to know how to make a difference - there's an easy place to start. Pay attention and vote when given the chance. Send in nominations for positions when given the chance. Only when we stand up and make our voices heard will we get somewhere.

3 members found this post helpful.

I just may reconsider showing at open hunter/jumper shows this year and only show at Arabian shows/schooling shows. How long is this term again?

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    For those of us who think that this was disappointing but just what was expected..... how do you justify that your money is being used to support it ..... Just asking, and I do know that is no avoiding it in many ways ......
    We are forced to join or pay a $30 nonmember fee per show, let's see, thinking that would of been around $500 for 2012.....hard to justify for a little spite. And yes I am disapointed too, but we are held hostage if we want to show at A shows. Would love any suggestions......

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    I just may reconsider showing at open hunter/jumper shows this year and only show at Arabian shows/schooling shows. How long is this term again?
    4 more years...

I didn't make it to the rule change forum this morning (wish I had!) but definitely agree that we need an open discussion session where people can address the board with any questions/concerns. I'm not excited that Bill was reelected IMO. I finally got a chance to meet Mary in person and she seemed very concerned about the future of our sport.

But with that being said, I don't think that Bill being president is the end of the world. As a committee member, I never felt like Bill interacted with us much anyways. I felt like I dealt more with other USHJA personnel like Shelby French (CEO).

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I didn't make it to the rule change forum this morning (wish I had!) but definitely agree that we need an open discussion session where people can address the board with any questions/concerns. I'm not excited that Bill was reelected IMO. I finally got a chance to meet Mary in person and she seemed very concerned about the future of our sport.

But with that being said, I don't think that Bill being president is the end of the world. As a committee member, I never felt like Bill interacted with us much anyways. I felt like I dealt more with other USHJA personnel like Shelby French (CEO).
    Not a question of it being the end of the world.....few things are. But it is an example of an organization which is supposed to represent its members demonstrating a poor approach to management and vision. If Bill had done a good job, the organization would have been more than prepared to move forward with its vision with a new President in place. Initially, Bill said they were and endorsed Mary.... All of a sudden it can't be done without him. Honestly, no one is that crucial or irreplaceable.... And if he is he did a very poor job of preparing his successor.

The fact that as a committee member you had little impression of Bill's involvement is not a reassuring statement either.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Pathetic. I wish I had a choice not to be apart of this organization.
    Agree and moreover... I can't figure out what the USHJA DOES for ME except take my money routinely?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

8 members found this post helpful.