The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    No. It makes you confused.
    Or maybe a liar. It's the interwebz. Somehow people think they are "honest" if they hide behind the same alter, performing their interwebz persona consistently. It's all selective revelation and concealment.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    LMAO. COTH is a wonderful world of random strangers, drunken houseguests and all kinds of entertaining alters. Sift through it all and there are some really good people here!
    Yes, but how do we know they are real? I think they are all zombies and the apocalypse has arrived.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just want everyone to know I am NOT a brain surgeon.

You just inferred that due to my superlative intelligence.

I, am, however, a super model.

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Well I know someone who said she knew Lex IRL when she lived in VA. And she said he really is as hot as he says he is.

There are doctors doing operations who aren't doctors.
    Lawyers giving legal advice who aren't lawyers.
    I always check vet credentials. The internet is a big help in finding out if someone is degreed. But then you have to also know where that person graduated in his class and what school he is degreed from.

I still want to know the imposter that Lex referred to on off topic day.
    Well I've been on here for years, and just found out that Lex is a man, about a yr or 2 ago... (I really AM a blonde!)

4 members found this post helpful.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

I just want to go on the record saying that my weanling really DOES love her blue foal feeder more than *anything* in the world!
    Last edited by propspony; Dec. 5, 2012 at 02:12 AM.
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

13 members found this post helpful.

I am devastated by this deception. Surely not grataan? Really?

You watery tart! You moistened bint! Stand aside!

You say, " It's but a scratch".

For god's sake,"Your arm's OFF!"

"You make me sad.."

I think the holy hand granade of antioch shall be lobbed .. and it shall be three.. (five is right out).

(skydy bangs coconut halves together and skips off in search of the grail..)
    Last edited by skydy; Dec. 5, 2012 at 02:58 AM.

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Yes, but how do we know they are real? I think they are all zombies and the apocalypse has arrived.
    How utterly ridiculous! Everyone knows zombies can't type.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    How utterly ridiculous! Everyone knows zombies can't type.
    Oh, I don't know about that. From what we're seeing here, it seems quite possible..

LOL jetsmom. At least Lex is not an old geezer in his underwear, what's the tee shirt without sleeves called?, sitting with his can of PBR and his cigar at the computer, letting us think he's cool.

He isn't, is he? Lex? He wouldn't be the old guy with beer belly drinking a PBR?

OTOH, I'm often amazed how cothers have admitted in emails and PMs that they lied on coth. People who shouldn't need to lie about their credentials. They were good enough as themselves. Why try to be #1 in cyberspace? Speaking of zombies, I worked in same office with Nancy Grace. And she sent me Easter cards. Really. I still have them packed up somewhere. Only person I ever knew who sent Easter cards was Nancy.

Horsewise, I do worry about vets and their credentials.

And LMH, without quoting your post, I do remember that amastrike was someone else on coth. And about the horse issue she had. I forget her old username. So I'm a little confused as to why amastrike would question OP.
    Most people who come on as alters don't want all the grief associated with telling the truth. I've always found it weird that whistleblowers are punished while people who do bad things sometimes are defended on coth.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Dec. 5, 2012 at 05:56 AM.

9 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

OK, time for me to come clean...
    IRL I am really She-Ra, Mistress of the Universe.

As for the vet-wannabe - anyone who seriously takes veterinary advice from an internet BB without a grain of salt needs help themselves.
    If any supposed internet-vet answered a post of mine, even if it sounded legit, you can bet I'd talk to my RL vet before using said advice.

Actually - someone on here - vet or no - pointed me toward a treatment for cellulitis that my vet agreed would help. And it did.

If someone's pathetic dreamlife is laid open who gets hurt?
    I dunno, smacks to me of Mean Girls.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    You left out: On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog...

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/56/169...6197ccb05c.jpg

I like that.
    On forums, you live and die mostly by what you post.
    Any other you are is not relevant to what you post.
    No one cares who you are or how you look, if you bark funny, dress funny, your hair is spikey or non existent, if you are blue or green.

On forums, what matters is how you come across as a basic person, real or not and what ideas, knowledge and general information you can share, as you learn all kinds of interesting things from what others have to say.
    Those others you don't care who they are, but expect to be representing themselves honestly in important matters, like being a professional in any one field and so having achieved a higher order of knowledge.
    There are laws already governing that aspect of our lives.

I don't let my horses use my computer, but I am not sure at times my dog may not have taken liberties and logged in when I was not around.
    She is terrible at spelling, but with spellcheck, you would never know it.

7 members found this post helpful.

My name isn't really Oliver. That's my cat. But my maiden name WAS Reed.

Claudia
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    My name isn't really Oliver. That's my cat. But my maiden name WAS Reed.

Claudia
    I just thought you were a brain surgeon at the hospital....

And LMH, without quoting your post, I do remember that amastrike was someone else on coth. And about the horse issue she had. I forget her old username. So I'm a little confused as to why amastrike would question OP.
    No. I don't know if you're thinking of someone else or if you're just misinformed, but I don't have an old username.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

2Dogs... I also run everything by my vet, but I think we are overestimating some posters. For instance the blind filly thread? What vet would "guess" it was ulcers or uveitis and not insist on sedating and actually diagnosing/treating? No vet I have ever used. I think someone used Dr. Google or Dr. COTH.... I am sure people do try to use this advice and avoid a vet call... dumb as that is.

And I'm not gray. I color.

I said this on the other thread and I'll say it again here - I've met a number of COTHers irl, and every one of them has been what they said they were. I personally think that is important. I don't go to forums like HGS or barnmice or catchride (gag) because that kind of nonsense make-believe stuff happens all the time and no one discourages it.

I'm not saying that one should believe the advice/not check identities, but it has been my general experience that many are honest here and the ones that aren't, get outed. That's how communities online survive.

It may also be that I've done a lot of research work in online community maintenance over the last 6 years. Or it may be because I've always felt there was something more valuable about COTH than other forums where that BS was more highly tolerated.

For the record, I'm also not short. And my horse is not gray. FWIW, I *did* have a gray pony when I signed up this username (my old was lost due to a lost password and old email address) but I thought changing it again would be disingenuous. Now I just fear I may be misleading...

9 members found this post helpful.

I take the online persona seriously. Why bother being truthful if everyone is fabricating themselves?

Sure, we don't take online vet advice to heart (or shouldn't)... but just hop over to Horse Care, and you'll see thousands of threads asking for medical advice. So clearly people seek that stuff and most likely follow the advice, especially if the person comes with "credentials". And to think that a person claiming to be a vet is giving out advice, well, that's scary.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    OK, time for me to come clean...
    IRL I am really She-Ra, Mistress of the Universe.
    Umm, unless I have a doppelganger, 2dogs is not She-Ra!

And Lex, love ya and all, but I'm looking for a job as an administrative assistant, where I'll be underemployed but far from pathetic.

After all, I'll still be the Princess of Power
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

3 members found this post helpful.

Hey everyone!!!! Im real.... really

and my horses DO jump....

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Sure, we don't take online vet advice to heart (or shouldn't)... but just hop over to Horse Care, and you'll see thousands of threads asking for medical advice. So clearly people seek that stuff and most likely follow the advice, especially if the person comes with "credentials". And to think that a person claiming to be a vet is giving out advice, well, that's scary.
    Sure, it's ok to ask advice to get ideas to bring you your real life vet. IMO, anyone who treats their horse for a medical condition that they know nothing about based on what a random, anonymous, stranger says on the internet is a complete moron. What type of person accepts "Yes, I am a large animal vet" as acceptable "credentials"???

And, even if they were an equine vet, I know a whole lotta vets who are complete morons that I wouldn't let touch my horse with a 10 foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I may look for other people's experiences on a BB but any actual medical advice is going to come from my real life vet....

6 members found this post helpful.