The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

This type of stuff happens IRL also. A nice young narc over in Hinesville (by Fort Stewart, for location purposes) met a guy, dated him and married him. She found out within months that the guy's name was not even the name he gave her. Nor did he work for the company that he said he traveled for. And he'd had 3 other wives, one of which he was still married to. I worked cases with her and her narc squad while all that was happening to her.

I used to think (when I was a callow youth, LOL) that people should be judged by how they act, not by whom their parents are or where they live or what clothes they wear or what car they drive, etc. Then I went to work in Atlanta and found out that the year before, a woman had met a cute guy in Friday's dating bar, had dated him 2 weeks, had taken him home to meet her mother, etc. Cops found him outside her apt. with part of her liver in a jar. In her bathtub cops found her dismembered and gutted body. They never found her heart, but the guy had blood all over his face and mouth. He had killed his grandparents in Florida when he was a teen, and had been put into mental hospital. When he turned 21, he was released, and his parents sent him to Atlanta so he'd not kill them in Florida.

After I saw those pictures, I said every man I met should have his fingerprints run before I dated him. People aren't what they seen IRL. So online, it's a lot easier to be someone you are not.

Cloudy is real. Everyone around here knows Cloudy. All the kids at barns loved his antics when he was young. BOs, not so much.
    Callie was my ottb mare, "Kick and Howl." now deceased.
    Hattie is the mare I got from last BO. Hat Trick is her registered name.

ETA Lex, do post a picture. Is that manly man thread still around? The cother who knew you in VA left here voluntarily and now does FB mostly. Give these women something to dream about!

ETA2: Didn't Lex block all PMs because so many women were PMing him? Most popular man on coth.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Dec. 6, 2012 at 07:21 AM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    I've met several people on here IRL via a COTH get-together several years ago, and all of them are exactly who they appear to be online - awesome, nice, and really fun people.

A couple of other people I know on here from boarding at my most recent barn - they are both really nice and good people. There are a couple of people on here, or who used to be on here, who I boarded with at a barn several years ago. Even though they were always kind of in their own "clique," I tried to reach out to one of them a few years back to offer help with something she had posted about on here, but she wasn't overly receptive, which is fine. One other person, I met at a friend's party several years ago, and when I joined COTH, I realized who she was by photos posted in her signature.

One person I know on here happens to be one of the most vile and repulsive people I've ever met, but I'm not getting into that right now...
    But see u at x, what about me? I'm heartbroken that you failed to regale the COTH crowd with the tale about the first time we met! You remember, how we went to The Noodle Co. for lunch, and then to Starbucks for dessert (I ordered a Green Tea Frap, with whipped cream). And about how our "lunch date," which we had assumed would be maybe an hour or so out of our respective days; turned into 5+ hours of talking and talking and talking- about anything and EVERYTHING! And then literally as we were getting up to finally leave Starbucks, a MASSIVE thunderstorm with seriously torrential rain rolled up on us; at which point we decided to sit back down and continue chatting until it passed

I have a horrible memory, and forget a lot of things... but I will never forget that day; or remembering how I thought to myself, "hey, not every horse person in this area is a bitchy, nasty, lying c*nt... this girl is *real*!;" and being so grateful that we met.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    You can't say something like that....and not tell us more! Not right now at any rate!
    Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Sorry, I had to delete that. She's already been mentioned on this thread and has been called out on the board for various reasons. I changed my mind and hesitate saying too much because she's a sociopathic stalker and will try to do whatever she can to make life hell for someone I know. My friend wasn't comfortable with the post because she has a horse that this nutcase claims is hers and is tired of having to reactivate her phone and change her email passwords because this person tries to hack into them. I am certainly happy to PM the details of my deleted post to anyone who is really interested.
    And I agree with Lex!!! I'm dying of curiosity now... c u at x, please do PM me with the details that you deleted from your post... I totally missed that; and even though I no longer ride, I'm still nosy as hell

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Me up at does
    out of the floor
    quietly Stare
    a poisoned mouse
    still who alive
    is asking What
    have i done that
    you wouldn't have

e.e.cummings
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    That little "tink" noise was the sound of my heart breaking.
    ARGH!!! mine too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    ...ETA Lex, do post a picture. Is that manly man thread still around? The cother who knew you in VA left here voluntarily and now does FB mostly. Give these women something to dream about!
    Agreed. Lex, please do post a picture. I've been dying of curiosity for all these years. And why don't you PM me anymore?!

ETA: I used to own Reese, who I lovingly nicknamed "Reese The Beast," from Sept 2003-Feb 2011... I had to give him away due to finances; and was blessed to find his new, amazing owner and perfect home right here on COTH. So while I no longer own RTB, he will always be part of me; so I see no need to change my Screen Name

and ETA to stay OT: If Grataan really is falsifying her qualifications (and I've seen several posts in which she refers to herself as a DVM); I think that is a very serious issue. It's easy to say "no harm, no foul;" because she is a likeable poster on these boards, but the reality is that lying about something like this and dispensing advice under the guise of being a vet when you're not, *is* a foul; and will cause great harm (it's not a matter of if, but of when)- even if the intentions of the person masquerading as a vet are purely rooted in a desire to help. I'm interested to see how this plays out from a number of perspectives:

• Grattan's reponse (if she actually does respond to any of this);
    • how the mods handle it,
    • and how the COTH community will ultimately react to all of this

Historically, the COTHers have collectively banished community members who were revealed to be something other than what they were representing themselves to be online- such as breeders who actually turned out to be hoarders, or owners who were negligent or abusive to their horses, etc.

Conversely, the COTHers have, at times, collectively forgiven community members for their transgressions. The situation with 2ndyrgal comes to mind as an example- she seems to have been truly humbled by that whole experience [shitshow]; which seems to have allowed her the "grace" of her peers like BuddyRoo so eloquently mentioned earlier in this thread...

However- it doesn't take a rocket scientist, brain surgeon or DVM (real or fake ) to recognize that there is a huge difference between posting something distasteful out of acute anger or frustration and leaving a bad taste in peoples' mouths; and pretending to be a licensed medical professional and dispensing advice in such a capacity.

I don't need popcorn (though I will never turn down alcohol); but I for one am interested to see how all of this ends up. And not for the "trainwreck entertainment value" (although sticking around for that is just human nature, let's be honest here)- but mostly to observe how the COTH community will handle this situation and this member, from a socio/anthropological standpoint.

Please... do carry on now.
    Last edited by ReeseTheBeast; Dec. 6, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

11 members found this post helpful.

Yikes, C&C! That was NOT where I was expecting your post to go!!!

I met my DH when I was working as a personnel coordinator. He was interviewing for a job. I checked his references, as well as accidentally talked to his ex-wife and his mother before I actually got in touch directly with him. We're going on 21 years together so I fell short of the fingerprint check but I think I did a pretty good job. And yes, he got the job but that was not my decision to make

And I agree this stuff happens SO much in real-life. Keeping this HR, when I lived down in C&C's neck of the woods (I wonder if we know each other?) I moved into a subdivision that had an equestrian facility, but it was essentially a co-op (no hired help, all do-it-yourself). There was a young woman there when I first moved in that told me her background and it seemed honest, non-amazing, typical stuff.... rode some as a kid, mom never let her get a horse, now she's excited to have her first horse, etc. No biggie, I was all cool with that. She asked me alot of questions that newbies ask and that's fine, we were all newbies at one time (and in many areas we are all still newbies) Well as more people started moving in, her story eventually developed into her growing up with horses, training horses, and having been giving riding lessons for ages, she became an 'expert' in everything and all the newer people bought right in to it. The funniest thing was that she didn't know how small the horse world was, this chick sent a resume' to someone for a BM job. You want to talk about what the fruitbat? Now she was also the barn manager of our co-op! Self-appointed, anyway. Apparently she took care of the entire facility, all the horses, and gave riding lessons too. I know that's not exactly like cutting someone's liver out, but yes there are people even NOT on the internet that do a great job at embellishing their life story.

fwiw, my screen name is close to the truth. I'm not THAT old but with bad knees, a bad back, and foot problems I just feel old all the time. I was born in '66 and I ride a 14.1 hand pony. I have about 5 posts from my first screen name going back a few years, but I forgot the password or correct screen name and could NOT log back in for anything so I just created a new one.

3 members found this post helpful.

Damn! My last post just won me my first "bad" post rating!

Kinda hurts my feelings a little bit... So now I'm sitting here at my desk, wondering, "what did I do or say that was so wrong?!;" and listening to sad music while feeling sorry for myself.

[not really]

...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

7 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Dang!
    I am impressed this thread has grown so fast - like Topsy
    And it has to be the best-natured trainwreck EVER!

Definitely my nominee for some sort of COTH End of Year Award

And now I confess I have read it all to date and made myself nearly 1/4h late for starting barn chores.
    I assure you all there is now 1 horse & 1 pony standing by the fenceline projecting Psychic Hunger towards the house.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    ... I do. not. want. people from work to be FaceBook friends with me. I don't mean the folks I actually become friends with, I mean plain co-workers. ...
    I feel this way about my in-laws. Unfortunately, they have homed-in like an AIM-9 Sidewinder.

1 members found this post helpful.

I feel the need to admit that my name is not Teddy. I also no longer a girl. Uh, I didn't have an operation, I just aged out of girldom many moons ago. Not trying to start another tangent...

Teddy is my pony, who's actually not a pony, but a sweet Perch/TB begging machine.

And I can neither confirm nor deny if I am a BNT, stunning star of stage and screen, and/or powerful politician. I do know a number of COTHers, but will protect their identity with my life or until I don't feel like it anymore.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm late to the party and haven't waded through this whole thread...been operating on a nun's brain while flying my helicopter over the south pole.....We all know if it's on the internet it's got to be true.....meet my date, the French model...

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    I feel this way about my in-laws. Unfortunately, they have homed-in like an AIM-9 Sidewinder.
    Mine are like a Patriot PAC-3 missile. Fortunately I worked on that upgrade and know how to misalign the radar occasionally The "show post to all but" option is your friend, and if you use it sparingly they'll never notice

Reese, I'm sorry we've never met! I place myself firmly in the nice, non-c*#tish Maryland horse community. Unfortunately, as of tomorrow I'll be trying to find that group in the Research Triangle of North Carolina
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I'm late to the party and haven't waded through this whole thread...been operating on a nun's brain while flying my helicopter over the south pole.....We all know if it's on the internet it's got to be true.....meet my date, the French model...
    Bonjour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Oh, that's kind of sad to hear about this truth and honestly, not too surprising.

While I am a veterinarian (with a real license number and everything!), I'm a small animal vet. I think that any real veterinarian knows better than to diagnose or try to treat an animal via the internet. Without ever having examined the animal in person, that's illegal. That said, some things are benign -- like recommending bathing for dogs or horses with itchy skin, or giving guidelines about changing food. However, those are things that do not take a licensed vet to figure out. Usually, most of my vet-related posts are limited to giving a more educated list of differentials or alerting people to situations that require them to actually to go a vet in person, as opposed to messing around online. This is my job/livelihood and while I'm happy to give some advice/guidance for free, I have a job for a reason! LoL!

That said, I think it's wrong that Grataan has misrepresented him/herself as a member of a profession he/she does not belong to. It makes me sad that someone would have to resort to this for an ego boost, potentially putting animals at harm. While I think that some of the advice he/she has dispensed is OK (and honestly things a layperson could tell you), some things are not. It just highlights the issue that ANYTHING you read on the internet must be taken with a grain of salt. THE INTERNET IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A VETERINARIAN EXAMINING YOUR ANIMAL. There is a LOT of good advice and sharing of experiences on here, which adds to knowledge base for everyone, but it really is up to each individual to have better sense than to believe everything written (that goes for everything, not just health issues!).

I know I'm late to the party, but hey, work calls! Carry on...

28 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    Reese, I'm sorry we've never met! I place myself firmly in the nice, non-c*#tish Maryland horse community. Unfortunately, as of tomorrow I'll be trying to find that group in the Research Triangle of North Carolina
    Ah, I'm sorry we've never met, either! But hey, we'll always have COTH! *sighs wistfully*

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    "vile and nasty" doesn't narrow it down much.

It does exclude Lex and finders keepers.

oh and while we're talking about nice people: Alittlegray is back in the hospital in VA for the 8th time this year! Lex, are you near Fredricksburg? We need to send a beefcake to cheer her up in the hospital. Don't tell her husband we're sending you though. He's a marine.
    Beefcake is a lot nicer to look at than are flowers. And you can entertain her with your wit.
    I'm not a "Beefcake" I'm actually what my line is. . . born in 55 and an eventer, but I do live very near Fredericksburg and wouldn't mind visiting her if she wants company. Send me a Pm and I'll try to get in a visit.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by nycjumper View Post
    meupatdoes I always read as meatandpotatoes , it's my Irish showing I suppose
    Me, too!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    While there could be bugs under my rugs, my screename has nothing to do with them. I used to swing dance and it's a combination of Rugcutter and Jitterbug. It's not a username that is usually taken, so... (although I was devasted to find another RugBug or two out there).
    We met at a CoTH dinner a bunch of years ago, right? I think it was a Mexican restaurant? I think I still have a photo of a bunch of us at the table together.

You're blond and adorable and very slender in my memory
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

In sounding it out, I, too, had always tried to make meupatdoes about deer. ("A deer, a female deer. Re, a drop of golden sun . . .") The username got that song running through my head over the years more times than I could count. I like the Sound of Music, but there's a limit to how much mental Do, Re you can take in a day. I would usually have to fall back eventually on one of my "drives anything else out of your head" standbys, like the Hallelujah Chorus or the Stars and Stripes Forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

RugBug... *snort*.... it's too early to be catching up on this thread.

Superminion toddles away to put on another pot of coffee.....
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My username has some basis in truth, if you really stretch it.. my birthday is 6/28, I am short (about 1.55m on a tall day). The super part is subjective. I am not super enough to have a cape or anything cool like that, but it had a nicer ring to it to say supershorty628 than shorty628.

And, for the record, some COTHers have met me before at the MN Harvest Horse Show and did ask me if I was supershorty - so I do answer to it

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    Nah, two totally different things. In the "Saddlebred Pirouette" you make one full rotation and are still in the saddle,
    Because a Saddlebred is brave enough to look at the monster twice before leaving. They want to double check to see if they should take you with them or leave you behind to fend off the monster thus improving their odds of a safe escape.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

12 members found this post helpful.

well I guess everyone knows who I am ....
    as for the exact moniker it dates back to about 1991 -or 2 to the AOHell
    boards...there was great chatter then on the walking horse boards about various things and people were a little too quick to tell me to shut up until I added "in TN" to my name and explained that I grew up 1000 feet thru the woods to one of the nastiest sore likkers of the day and then spent my formative years skirting them :>
    anyway...I grew up on Req Equestrian(old Usenet) where anon postings were viewed with disdain and if you were man enough to say something, you used your real name to do it for the most part.
    so there you go.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.