The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Um you guys..... I demand that you shut this thread down until May when I can drink wine with you and in fact will need to after producing a small reproduction of myself that screams and kicks and howls from my loins. I feel that you are excluding the preggo people and I feel all left out and stuff and stuck with popcorn which makes me barf

On a more publicly friendly note, I am sad to inform that I am not on fire at one end, and am just named online after a very special horse.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    That little "tink" noise was the sound of my heart breaking.
    Am only on page 21 and doubtful I'll catch up on this thread tonight but have been thinking about this since the Meupatdoes poem was repeated. A while back there was a thread where people explained their user names and I learned this was from a poem, so I looked up the poem. And I felt the same as the quote above. Now whenever Meupatdoes posts, and I see the user name, I think of the poem and I feel sad. This is not a bad thing, I think the poem is beautiful and effective. But so effective whenever I see "Meupatdoes" I get a little depressed!

I feel a bit better having admitted that. Carry on.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

10 members found this post helpful.

So then. Is that an Andalusian between Colin's legs?

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I also didn't really know Lex was a guy, I thought he was Alexa from Catchride.
    That would be Brave2XRails who either posts under a different name after being outed as Alexa or does not post here at all anymore. I can assure you that I am a much better human being in every way than that piece of work will ever be. Based on what she posted on Catchride about hating children and what she'd like to do to the ones she works with, she has no business being around them or helping them with their problems.
    Last edited by LexInVA; Dec. 7, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    The poster in the stationery sense or in the internet sense?
    OH, LOL, I have the amazon poster of Lex. I've not met him IRL. But people who knew him tell me it's all true and more!

and if he made a movie, wouldn't it be the "white stallion?" Or 10 1/2?

I'm just surprised no one has done a spin off/poll of which Colin is the sexist.

Does anyone else think the mods are laughing their asses off at us? Or taking down names of those of us with psych issues?
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Dec. 7, 2012 at 05:54 AM.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post

Actually - the "shining wizard" is a professional wrestling move and that is where it comes from...I used to be huge into following WWE (don't judge).
    Don't judge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXafy1n9cVY (Key and Peele, adult content but LOL)

I was thinking I hadn't met any COTH posters IRL, but remembered I did meet one long before I joined COTH. A while back someone posted that she and her Saddlebred gelding had participated in the Pony Express reinactment back in 2004 I think? In Minnesota, put on by the Northwest Saddle Club. I wouldn't recognize her if I met her again but I remember being hugely impressed by her big, beautiful gelding. That was before becoming a Saddlebred owner myself and may have had something to do with it.
    The reinactment was extremely fun, I was able to ride 2 years in a row. First year with my AQHA mare, and 2nd year with a nice appendix gelding I owned at the time. Still have my mare, love her so much. She has "one hind sock" which is my name on another forum, though I shortened it to "1sock" on COTH.
    Last edited by 1sock; Dec. 7, 2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    So then. Is that an Andalusian between Colin's legs?
    Snort!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Post #459 was about ReeseTheBeast as was the beginning of #464.

Oh man... thank you, Lex!! I read post #459 and totally blushed... and I obviously know that we've interacted online, but I don't know who you know that knows me... you've kept yourself a mystery to me online for all these years!

You should friend request me on Facebook.

And see u at x, I love you girl; and would do anything for you, at any time. I felt horrible that I was so sick that morning with Claude. I wanted to be a "rock" for you, but kept having to run to the bathroom instead. Regardless, thank you for allowing me into a part of/time in your life which was so private. I felt privileged that you consider me to be that close of a friend <3

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    I have you both beat. I had the pleasure of watching Reese grow up from a precocious 10 year old to the super woman she is today...
    Blushing again! Thank you, Trevelyan! I have many a fond memories of riding for you when I was young; and all the kindness you showed me.
    Last edited by ReeseTheBeast; Dec. 7, 2012 at 06:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

I am on the fence about Grataan. On the one hand, we're talking about a made-up character making up an identity. The fact that she is not using a real name, in my opinion, automatically removes any credibility from her statements and therefore softens the severity of the lie. At least, it just seems like common sense to me that if someone doesn't identify herself and writes, "I'm Pookiemom123 and I'm a Vet," a rational person would take that with a grain of salt. On the other hand, if she were to write the lie, "My CoTH name is Cookie Monster, but I am really Dr. Sandra Smith, DVM, Anytown, USA," then that is a serious and detestable action.

It seems that lying on the internet is a slippery slope. After all, many of us use these silly names which really are untrue. I myself do not hesitate to lie on the public forum to protect my privacy and that of family members and friends, although I must add that I have been honest about my experiences when I have posted advice or anecdotes, and honest in private messages. Maybe forthcoming is a better word. The point is, I think I am honest in what matters, but many would draw the line a little closer.

So I don't think it is a bad thing that she has been outted, but I don't think this is the worst thing I have heard, and I would still like to see her continue to post. It would be nice to hear a little explanation or mea culpa, I think.

As far as harm, I don't recall reading any of her opinions that would have been outside her actual profession (I could be wrong), but I really think the bigger damage is the lack of respect shown to those who really did go the whole way and do the hard work of getting their DVM credentials.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post
    Oh man... thank you, Lex!! I read post #459 and totally blushed... and I obviously know that we've interacted online, but I don't know who you know that knows me... you've kept yourself a mystery to me online for all these years!
    You know one person and that person knows another person and I know them or the person that you know in passing. That's more along the lines of what I wanted to say. I didn't mean to imply that I was BFFs or having regular conversations on Facebook with anyone that you know.That would be gross overstating on my part and I did not intend my earlier post to sound that way.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    I am on the fence about Grataan. On the one hand, we're talking about a made-up character making up an identity. The fact that she is not using a real name, in my opinion, automatically removes any credibility from her statements and therefore softens the severity of the lie. At least, it just seems like common sense to me that if someone doesn't identify herself and writes, "I'm Pookiemom123 and I'm a Vet," a rational person would take that with a grain of salt. On the other hand, if she were to write the lie, "My CoTH name is Cookie Monster, but I am really Dr. Sandra Smith, DVM, Anytown, USA," then that is a serious and detestable action.

It seems that lying on the internet is a slippery slope. After all, many of us use these silly names which really are untrue. I myself do not hesitate to lie on the public forum to protect my privacy and that of family members and friends, although I must add that I have been honest about my experiences when I have posted advice or anecdotes, and honest in private messages. Maybe forthcoming is a better word. The point is, I think I am honest in what matters, but many would draw the line a little closer.

So I don't think it is a bad thing that she has been outted, but I don't think this is the worst thing I have heard, and I would still like to see her continue to post. It would be nice to hear a little explanation or mea culpa, I think.

As far as harm, I don't recall reading any of her opinions that would have been outside her actual profession (I could be wrong), but I really think the bigger damage is the lack of respect shown to those who really did go the whole way and do the hard work of getting their DVM credentials.
    I would like to expand on this, as I don't quite agree lying is a slippery slope as much as indicated there.

Teasing and assuming a false identity while teasing is something some do while in context, when everyone knows and it is understood that to be false and we play along.
    Everyone should know I am not blue, but a green alien, have stated it plenty of times.

When some question what others say with "I disagree, that is what my vet tells me" and we pipe up with "poster xyz IS a vet", because we were led to believe that was the truth, not a joke, then maybe is the time to correct those wrong assumptions and explain "no, not exactly" or something like that, if it is not so.
    Maybe that was done here and there, I don't know.

My impression about the unwritten rules on COTH is that people would not pose, where it matters, as representing a professional when giving advice as such, as something they are not.
    That is not how the game is played, other than, as above, with clear disclosure of what one is or is not.

I don't know if that line was crossed here and if it really matters and to whom.
    If one poster is faking being a vet and a few are in on it and most not, as it seems it was, is it one more internet game playing, is that part of what COTH is?

Not like posing as a vet and giving free advice is like posing as a fancy breeder with stolen pictures and fake performance records and drumming up business thru it, that may be fraud.

I assumed all along that someone speaking as a vet was a vet, is the misunderstanding only mine, or was deception involved and does it matter that it happened?

Those are the questions that are not answered too clearly in now so many pages.
    Maybe there is no answer, each person has to live by their own rules and be aware others may have different ones, when it comes to these situations.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sock View Post
    Am only on page 21 and doubtful I'll catch up on this thread tonight but have been thinking about this since the Meupatdoes poem was repeated. A while back there was a thread where people explained their user names and I learned this was from a poem, so I looked up the poem. And I felt the same as the quote above. Now whenever Meupatdoes posts, and I see the user name, I think of the poem and I feel sad. This is not a bad thing, I think the poem is beautiful and effective. But so effective whenever I see "Meupatdoes" I get a little depressed!

I feel a bit better having admitted that. Carry on.
    So true!! I do remember that thread but the poem wasn't analyzed as succinctly as it was here, so I promptly forgot about it.

Now I have it embedded in my brain, so I also have that little bit of sadness when I see meupatdoes name.

I'm further conflicted because just yesterday I took my absolute favorite quarter sheet out to use. It was a sheet that I bought not because I needed it, but because it was so pretty that I just had to buy it. Since it was on sale, it was a no-brainer. It was beautiful and in my colors. Black with burgundy trim and a gold roping all around and including the tail cord. I don't usually have things that fancy so every time I use it I feel a bit regal. I know this sounds silly.

Anyway, I open up the sheet and there are two large holes with a dead mouse still clinging to the polarfleece.

I was torn between hating the mouse for ruining my sheet and feeling guilty that he/she probably died because I do use poison rarely when the mice start overpopulating...

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    You know one person and that person knows another person and I know them or the person that you know in passing. That's more along the lines of what I wanted to say. I didn't mean to imply that I was BFFs or having regular conversations on Facebook with anyone that you know.That would be gross overstating on my part and I did not intend my earlier post to sound that way.
    Oh, no worries, Lex! I definitely didn't take it that way!!! Although I do wonder who the characters are in "RTB's 6 degrees of separation" (whether or not they're all from COTH, for example... not that it matters, I'm just unrelentingly curious [and nosy... and perhaps a little egotistical, too- I want to know just how famous I really am ]).

But seriously, though. You should be my friend on Facebook (if you use it), or something. I see you here on COTH, but like I've done with so many other awesome people I've met through this site (like see u at x and others), I'd like to take our friendship to the next [virtual] level

Let me know if you're into it.
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    ...I assumed all along that someone speaking as a vet was a vet, is the misunderstanding only mine, or was deception involved and does it matter that it happened?

Those are the questions that are not answered too clearly in now so many pages.

Maybe there is no answer, each person has to live by their own rules and be aware others may have different ones, when it comes to these situations.
    (emphaisis mine)

Very well said, Bluey. And something I feel like everybody should always keep in mind- whether it be when dealing with internet folks or people in real life... sage advice and wisdom, indeed.

Well, I'm gobsmacked Grataan isn't a vet. I thought 'she' was! Oh, well, I've kind of learned to take a whole lot of internet stuff with a grain of salt. I've met some real doozy's on several horse boards, back when I was an over the road truck driver.

What was strange to me, (example coming up), I would talk to people on the boards, tell them I was going to be in their neck of the woods on or around a certain day and would they like to meet up in person. 9 times out of 10, people would say oh yeah, would love to. I'd get to the truckstop, park my rig, go into the restaurant and wait...and wait....and wait. They wouldn't show. Then, when I'd call to remind them, they wouldn't answer their phone. Weird things like that.

Once, a 'lady' in Wickenburg, AZ told me she raised Buckskin horses and showed them. I happened to be driving through a while later and contacted her. Oh, yeah, she'd meet me at the truckstop. Never showed up. I asked the cashier if she knew who this lady was. Wickenburg isn't that big a town. Anywho, no one in the truckstop knew who she was. No one knew of anyone who raised and showed Bucky's.

However, I do have a good friend whom I met on another BB and we've met in person. She even came to my wedding reception, first time I'd met her in person. We still talk and have gone out to lunch. We have the same weird interests, too. Both of us are married and in to horses and identify with each other. I mean, it can be that most on a BB are not who they say they are, but, then again, they can turn out into good friends.

I won't go into all the other oddball people I've actually met from online horse boards. There are some crazies, alright!!
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I haven't seen Lex in a while, that's the truth.

But the last time I saw him it appeared he bathed regularly.

No bleach dipping needed - the Colin Farrell comparison does not extend that far. Just think of the hotness without the grunge.

Single ladies - go get him!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

At least twice a day if I've gone to the gym.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hey Cloudie and Callie

Your in box is full, but it seems she's on the mend and wrote me a very nice note. Let me know if things change and I'll do a run with flowers even though she says she's in need of nothing.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    A few of her posts mention internships with a practice and going to "conferences" - is that something vet techs normally do?

There has been some discussion of her 'recommendations' on the seizure thread over in Eventing, also.
    Yes, vet techs do sometimes go to conferences and the school I went to required an internship. As students, my classmates and I got to go to the state conference for free and there were quite a few techs there whose bosses had paid for them to attend.

The rest of this thread has been a hoot-- thanks for the laugh all! It has provided great entertainment for my breaks at work.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    9 times out of 10, people would say oh yeah, would love to. I'd get to the truckstop, park my rig, go into the restaurant and wait...and wait....and wait. They wouldn't show. Then, when I'd call to remind them, they wouldn't answer their phone. Weird things like that.
    That only happened to me ONCE in *embarrassedtoevenmumblehowmanyyears*.

I drove the WHOLE way into the City (San Francisco, for those who might mistakenly be thinking of Manhattan) to the Drake to meet someone (a man) I'd helped get published (back when that meant books). Granted, having to clean up after leaving the barn (horse-related), I was a bit late.

Not only did I have to pay for valet parking because I'm terrified of parking on city streets much less driving, but I sat in that hotel for over an HOUR waiting, calling the room, waiting ... until the concierge brought me a personal box of kleenex and the bellhops clubbed in to buy me a glass of wine.

The next time I traveled anywhere to meet a male was years later when I went to Devon to see Idocus. HE did not disappoint, but he also had a woman running his schedule
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Dec. 7, 2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: coffee kicked in
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

7 members found this post helpful.