The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    guys-plural. I'm not Cloudy and HMMV, but ... WHO do you think does all the cougar chasing?

I had to move to the land of retirees to find someone age-appropriate to date!
    LOL Sorry to hear that! I guess I never really thought about it, and I really don't care to do the research!

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I would too, Superminion. I like Grataan. She has a fun sense of humor! I don't know the whys or wheres but I will say that the OP is a real sh!t in my book. Why could she not approach Grataan either in person or by email/PM and ask her what was up with the making things up? Was it REALLY necessary to try and embarrass her in front of all of us??

It is one thing to make up a persona complete with fake job credentials (and no I am not excusing or downplaying Grataans poor decision here) but it is an entirely separate sort of evil and maliciousness to try and hurt, embarrass, and publicly humiliate someone.

Shame on the OP!!!!!!!
    Gee, maybe because giving veterinary advice, while pretending to be a vet could actually really cause harm or expense to someone who believed her? But you're more upset that she was outed? Seriously?

You lie you pay the price. The price in this case was being outed.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

31 members found this post helpful.

I think the behaviour of someone pretending to be vet on a public BB and giving advice is shameful and potentialy quite harmful.
    It seems that the op has tried in vain to get this person to stop the deception.

IMO your outrage is misdirected.

23 members found this post helpful.

Hardly outrage but both of them display shameful behavior. So, no I am not excusing Grataans poor judgment and I am not excusing the OPs need for attention or vengeful acts.

I do not believe it was some "last resort" hopped up thing. Yeah, nope. But anyway, y'all are entitled to your own opinions.

I always go by my vets advice, by the way. Or, if I hear something from here or a friend, I run it by my vet to see the veracity and helpfulness of it. FYI.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Holy Cow! You know, just for kicks, I googled "#10069 on Amazon.com" and the first page was mostly links to uninteresting (to me) stuff ... but cloudy's post of just an hour ago was on the FIRST PAGE of returns!

SEO people -- eat yer hearts out!
    Wait? Is there really such a thing on amazon? I made it up, you know 69. If Lex is on amazon, there's going to be a run on those posters. Big resale value on ebay like those twinkies.

Your words, so if you think I am then you can own that my dear.

I hardly think that and quite honestly, I doubt many come here for actual vet advice anymore than I do.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I would like to add Sophocles to our reading list, as apparently the assignment I have was supposed to be on Oedipus the character not the entire play! I should right now be rewriting my final paper instead of reading this thread. Dang you people!
    Haven't got anything fun about Sophocles other than everybody loved him. He was the quintessential "nice guy."

My fun filled fact is: Euripides was born on Salamis Day. ;-)
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Wait? Is there really such a thing on amazon? I made it up, you know 69. If Lex is on amazon, there's going to be a run on those posters. Big resale value on ebay like those twinkies.
    I actually went ON Amazon and tried every 10069 combo I could think of.... all it pulled up were men's boots and various other trivial things. I was ever so disappointed.

So if Lex were a movie title...which one would it be?
    "10"?
    "The Black Stallion"?
    "Insidious"?
    Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    You are all quite right - I mixed up my Colin F's! (Someday I may wake up and smell the pop culture)!

Neh, Firth is sexier and classier.
    Here's my Colin Firth story. He was in a lousy movie a few years ago called When Did You Last See Your Father? or some such. We had a difficult time parking because the theater is right next to a big indy bookstore that was hosting a reading by Salman Rushdie. Colin played a writer whose dad, played by Jim Broadbent, was a boozy old fart who embarrassed his son. Colin Firth had brought his dad to a literary reception where he was being honored, and someone asked him where his dad was, and Colin replied, "He's over there talking to Salman Rushdie." So I leaned over to my husband and said, "WE could be over there talking to Salman Rushdie!" After that scene, the movie got worse and worse, but that is still one of our favorite things to say to each other.

Okay, that's not really a Colin Firth story.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Here's my Colin Firth story.

Okay, that's not really a Colin Firth story.
    But it's an excellent story, nonetheless.

I for one am very glad to know of this, deception is a huge issue to me no matter if someone here took her advice or not... but this isn't the only time I have seen false personas come to light so really not a shock there....

We all, me included, toss around a lot of advice and its a good reminder that we are just faceless internet people (most times) and who really knows how sound the advice is?

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Yes,you may have. Did you see the picture of Lex in his speedo at Virginia Beach that someone posted? I think the mods deleted it because so many women were looking at it that the website crashed.

I have the poster in my bedroom.
    The poster in the stationery sense or in the internet sense?
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

3 members found this post helpful.

48 hours and 32 pages later....I <3 COTH Forums!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I think there is advice and that there is experience. Two seperate things. Most (I hope) people on here will provide their own experience since we all don't have large numbers of horses in our lives and we tend to come here when we have situations that we cannot understand. I also think that is what is dissappointing in having someone make up experiences. Being a vet tech would have been great too, but the lies don't allow anyone to value her experience or advice.

Sometimes we come here to gain perspective and having someone lie makes this place not as valuable for that.

9 members found this post helpful.

Hang on a sec. I've been reading this thinking that the issue is that she called herself a vet, when in reality she wasn't. Are you saying that what she wrote about was also not true? That the things she talked about were incorrect or falsified?

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    As a last resort??? You mean like "We fired the CEO as a last resort" or, "We had to bomb the rioters with tear gas as a last resort?". Please. It's a horsie BB, not National Security. Grataan is not the first and will not be the last to pretend online.

The OP had an axe to grind and found an audience. Congrats. I hope she comes out west, I would love to dig into and announce her past indiscretions LOL!
    Yes. It's just a horsie BB, so surely being "outed" isn't a big deal, if lying about who you are isn't either.

If you'd read all 32 pages, or even the first ~10... you'd probably have noticed that the OP did try multiple times in person to ask Grataan to stop lying. And you'd also have noticed us PNW'ers discussing that we seem to recall that Grataan is from OR (out west, as you refer to it). That would likely make the OP reside in a similar geographical location....... you may get your wish. Although that would make you a royal hypocrite, in this case.

Carry on.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

20 members found this post helpful.

Working to finish reading through all this 30-someodd pages, but in the mean time.....

I AM in real life a small animal vet tech, although not yet registered in the state of NC. I do work in a 24-hour specaility/ER practice with 5 clinics in NC. My job is as 2nd shift ICU Tech. Also, I limit my responses to when I actually know what I am talking about. ;-)

Anybody who wants more info to prove it feel free to PM me.

Have to say, when I first read this I was thinking about Ghazzu and was TOTALLY non-believing. Makes way more sense now....
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    Hang on a sec. I've been reading this thinking that the issue is that she called herself a vet, when in reality she wasn't. Are you saying that what she wrote about was also not true? That the things she talked about were incorrect or falsified?
    Not 100% sure since I don't know the history with this poster....At this point I would conclude if they lie about one thing the rest is suspect. Its like a cheater--- if you can lie in one area its not a far leap to lie in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegal984 View Post
    Have to say, when I first read this I was thinking about Ghazzu and was TOTALLY non-believing. Makes way more sense now....

Well, Tamara will tell you that, back in the day, in rec.eq, I was accused of being a "self-proclaimed vet".

I was sufficiently taken with the phrase that I added it to my sig.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

6 members found this post helpful.