The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Bluey, I thought of including you but since I haven't actually SEEN you....

You COULD just be a fake Bluey/Merry and have been faking the accent to boot! Who KNOWS?!?!?!

Can anyone else confirm your physical existence? LOL

Kidding of course. Yes, I'll vouch for you. But now, who will vouch for me? I guess I do have a lot of board buddies in my wedding pics.
    Is it not enough that I am from another planet and really green, not blue?
    Had a green alien card and all for many years.
    What kind of physical existence parameters are necessary?

I guess with all those robot expeditions to other planets I need to go hide a bit better.

You did look wonderful in your pictures, just as nice as you sounded on the phone.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I know some of you are having fun with this, but doesn't anyone else think it's terribly sad that someone would have such a low sense of self-worth that they would invent a career and even a husband ?
    Disco-

I had a post that I typed out earlier, then deleted along the lines of what you're saying.

There's another board member here who I "knew" once upon a time here and elsewhere online and we chatted regularly. Bright gal. Very insightful. She "came out" to me a few years ago and told me that she wasn't who she said she was. Different age, different occupation, different...well, everything. But that wasn't her at her heart. She just started down a path online and it snowballed. I told her then, like I would say again now if she wanted to be friends again that I liked who she was--the other stuff was just details. And that I would be happy to start over again with her.

I still believe that she is a really good egg and at the core is who she "was" when she was posting or emailing or whatever.

I would feel horribly if Graatan is being singled out unfairly and inaccurately.

I feel equally bad to be honest that she's being singled out at all because if it IS true that she's not who she says she is and she's this involved in the board and has the knowledge and is a helpful poster, well then we have a lot to lose as does she.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

13 members found this post helpful.

I AM the Loch Ness Monster. I'll sell any of y'all a vial of my blood for $15 a pop. As a disclaimer, if you get it analyzed, it may LOOK like red food coloring, but that's because it's speshul monster blood.

13 members found this post helpful.

Aw heck I am just one of the long time invisibles around here, so it really doesn't matter who I am

Carry on!
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

3 members found this post helpful.

I just got to the end of this thing... cheese and rice.

FWIW, I'm Superminion because I'm pretty much awesome and my BO doesn't know what she's going to do without me when I have to move.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I know some of you are having fun with this, but doesn't anyone else think it's terribly sad that someone would have such a low sense of self-worth that they would invent a career and even a husband ?
    Yes, which is why I posted a few pages ago that I thought it was sad.

4 members found this post helpful.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Bluey, I thought of including you but since I haven't actually SEEN you....

You COULD just be a fake Bluey/Merry and have been faking the accent to boot! Who KNOWS?!?!?!
    *blink blink* Bluey is/was Merry??? Really???? No way! :-) I always kinda wondered where the heck Merry went...
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Quote Originally Posted by propspony View Post
    *blink blink* Bluey is/was Merry??? Really???? No way! :-) I always kinda wondered where the heck Merry went...
    Not on this board. Bluey is Bluey here, Merry on another board. I "know" her from both.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Me up at does
    out of the floor
    quietly Stare
    a poisoned mouse
    still who alive
    is asking What
    have i done that
    you wouldn't have

e.e.cummings
    Love the poem, Thank you!!! I still can't figure out what Me up at does means though...

I may have misled you all somewhat by presenting myself as an untalented middle-aged ammie on a saintly Holstein/pinto yak/draft X. I might be even less talented and more middle-aged IRL than I seem on COTH. (The horse is pretty much as advertised).

I don't know if Grataan is faking or not. If she really is faking, I'm not saying she is a horrible person who is trying to kill all our horses -- she probably genuinely is trying to be helpful, and probably has helped people out. But I have to disagree with people who say that the quality of her advice is what really matters, or that "you shouldn't be taking advice from an online forum, anyway" somehow excuses her alleged behaviour.

If I tell people on COTH I'm an astronaut when I am not, that makes me a harmless whackjob UNTIL someone PMs me and tells me "My daughter has always wanted to be an astronaut; can you give her some advice?". If I start sending advice on what courses to take, etc., that is unethical. If someone chooses to follow that advice without checking my credentials, that is naive or foolish, but not unethical. Even if my advice turns out to be helpful, it doesn't change the fact that I should not have offered it pretending to have authority when I did not. In the case of vet advice, you might argue that it is unethical for an owner to choose internet advice rather than paying for a real vet, but even in that case two wrongs don't make a right.

There is a huge gulf between me posting on the Horse Care forum saying "hey, my horse had an abscess and this was how I treated it" and me posting "I'm a vet and this is how I treat abscesses". The first one is not unethical; the second one is. If the advice is flaky and someone follows it, causing more problems for their horse -- well, the person is foolish for following unverified advice either way. But they were not misled in the first case; in the second they were.

For any advice we take, it's ALWAYS buyer beware -- for that matter, I've never asked my vet IRL to see her diploma!! -- but that doesn't lead to saying "who cares if Grataan's really a vet?".

20 members found this post helpful.

Merry on another forum, not COTH.
    I had signed as Merry on COTH years ago, but didn't post hardly.
    Then they went thru some changes and next time I tried to log in, I could not, someone was now already using that name.
    Was told to just get another name, so I did, after two dozen tries, when I saw some blue birds flying around the yard and Bluey stuck.
    Then found out there was already a Bluesy, to make it all more confusing.

I explain that because the one Merry that has been posting on COTH is a very nice person and someone else altogether.

"Me up at does' means the mouse is looking up at the author. Typical cummings twisted verbiage (and I mean twisted in the nicest possible way).
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Well I am a Victoria's Secret model and theoretical physicist who could have competed on the US Olympic equestrian team with my 18hh Gypsy Vanner except I didn't have the time given my modeling and research projects. And that's the truth, pfffttttt.

9 members found this post helpful.

ah gotcha! :-) Well you both *sound* like fun, (as does Buddy Roo too!) but I suppose that could be misleading, and you could all be very boring in real life. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Scenario 1: thru Scenario 5:

Either way, there's wine and popcorn involved.
    I thought there was a strict code of ethics/political correctness/yadda.yadda.yadda, "No popcorn before noon."

Wine, of course, is for all seasons and sessions. This means all day, everyday, but never with coffee in the morning.

I prefer red. But I will do white or rose. I am not picky, depending on the situation.

rmh - drinking tea, ran out of wine about 5-6 pages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    I think it was right of the OP to call out a fake, if that is indeed the case.

Can anyone think of any reason why the OP would bother to start a thread to call someone out falsely? I can't think what they would achieve by that. For one, I am comfortable believing that the OP genuinely was concerned for people believing information that she/he knows to be coming from someone falsely claiming credentials.
    There are a million and one reasons to accuse somebody of something he/she has not done.
    being spiteful, trying to ruin a person, or just plain being unhinged.

Either way, if you think you have a case outing somebody, it carries more when you don't hide yourself.

Now pass the wine, you can keep the popcorn, I have cheese to go with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

No, not necessarily. She could just be having fun, or doing it as a writing exercise. You know, to see if she could create believable human and equine characters. Which, obviously, she can.

Although I know a girl from another board entirely who made herself out to be a BNT when actually she's a fairly inept ammy. Since it's a small community, most people know this and politely ignore the fiction. But I think that person does it for sad, wish-fulfillment reasons.

Just sayin' that's not the only possibility, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    There is a huge gulf between me posting on the Horse Care forum saying "hey, my horse had an abscess and this was how I treated it" and me posting "I'm a vet and this is how I treat abscesses". .
    Can anyone actually find a post where Grataan claims to be a vet? I know she has never disabused the notion when people say she is a vet but did she actually say she is?

3 members found this post helpful.

Love the poem, Thank you!!! I still can't figure out what Me up at does means though...
    This is how I read it/interpret it - colored type is my addition for clarity:

Me (the mouse) up at (the person standing over me)
    does out of the floor quietly Stare,
    a poisoned mouse still, who alive,
    is asking, "What have i done that
    you wouldn't have?"

e.e.cummings

Liz, who has always loved cummings' visual poetry. And I actually am a lot of hot air on the prairie.

I hope Lex won't mind me posting this...but someone asked and I think it's a fairly benign story....

So here's how I met Lex. I had spoken and PM'd with Lex for a few years when I lived in MI. So I know his voice.

I went to a dog park (in VA) a few weeks ago that he had recommended. I was a little flustered at one point because my lab wasn't being very polite--read, humping every dog he thought he could--embarassing. I was rounding them up to head home and this nice young man started chatting w/ me and was walking me out.

There was something "familiar" about him but I couldn't put my finger on it.

As we were walking and chatting, I was just SURE it was Lex, but I didn't want to sound like a total creeper by asking "Hey, are you Lex from COTH? I'm Roo."

But once I got to my car, I texted him. "Did I just meet you in the dog park????"

Anyway, it WAS him and he was just trying to help out as he saw I was frazzled and was pretty sure it was me. I mean, who else shows up in riding clothes, tall boots, and has a black lab and a black standard poodle and just arrived in this region of VA? LOL

So. I met Lex.

5 members found this post helpful.