The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HELP!!! Boarding Barn or barn property for rent in Jacksonville, FL

We are being sent to jacksonville for out next deployment. Does anyone have any recommendations on good boarding barns in or within reasonable driving distance of Jacksonville/ Mayport area? I have looked at Hidden Fields and Skyway Meadows, any thoughts? Or even better does anyone know of a home for rent with a barn... I have one horse so I don't need much... Thanks.

What is your price range? I like in Jacksonville, there are lots of options but your price range and discipline would change what I recommend.

There's also a lot of barns in St Augustine/St John's County which is a bit of a drive depending on where you live. I can't think of any barns I'd want to board at near Mayport though.

I am trying not to go above 600... My ideal would be to find a home with a barn to rent and there was one in Julington Creek but it is off the market now. I would be doing jumpers and I have an interest in cross country and eventing. Mostly we just trail ride and fox hunt at the moment.I just want a decent safe place for him the preferably doesn't feed coastal hay... big pet peeve of mine. We are still negotiating places to live... do you know anything about HIdden Fields or Skyway Meadows?

I sent you a private message, but just so you know everyone feeds coastal here in that price range. Alfalfa is about 20 a bale here.

I'm in Jacksonville as well. I doubt you are going to find anything actually in the Mayport area. Julington Creek is a nice area but quite a way from Mayport. There are a couple of places in the Palm Valley area, which is in St. Johns Co. The problem you are going to find with a rental property is that the land value is high anywhere on or near the barrier island (Mayport, Jacksonville Bches, Palm Valley, Ponte Vedra) Any property large enough for horses, somebody wants to build a condo or McMansion on it! Your best bet may be to look north north/west of Mayport where there is still more rural land and lower land values.

Also, the above poster is correct about the cost of hay here! Coming from Ky., I was pretty astounded at the 15 - 20.00 bales of alfalfa! You'll learn to love coastal. It's really not that bad.

Thank you to your family for your service to our country and welcome to the area. Jacksonville is a great place to live.
    Last edited by GracesMom; Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

Thank You. I am suprised about the hay prices. When I left Tampa which is where I am from originally about a year ago T/A only 9-11 dollars a bale. And I know there is a guy in Ocala my trainer gets big bales from for less than 200 dolalrs and they last one horse almost a month if not more. That is crazy that hay is so much. I am in PA right now and my horse is still in Tampa. But my friend from work here rides and baords at her home. She gets really nice T/A for 2 dollars a bale!. I am half tempted to buy a shit load and bring it down with me LOL.