The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone built a covered round bale feeder?

I would love to get our round bales under roof in our sacrifice lot. I have looked at the hay huts and other products on the market but they are very expensive and I would like something where I can see how much hay is left without peaking in a feeder. Has anyone built one? I can't decide whether to make it permanent with post or put it on skids so that it can be moved. Thoughts, opinions, pictures? Someone down the road from me just put up two posts, one on each side of the round bale feeder and added a roof. It if very cute but would the permanent placing cause a problem?
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Default just a plug for hay huts vs building your own

know you want to build something but just to put in a plug for the hay hut. We thought we would build covered round bale feeders as well. once we priced out lumber and materials for one on skids (we did want to be able to move it), it was more than half of the hay hut cost. Then if you value your labor at all, there wasn't much of a cost difference at all.

We purchased 3 hay huts at a volume discount so check around and see if anyone else wants to buy with you. saved about $100 each.

The hay huts have worked better than we had hoped and I can definitely state they are better built than anything we could have done! Our ROI for them was just under 9 months so they have now paid for themselves. We are in no way associated with hay hut but just a very happy customer. LOVE THEM!
    m

1 members found this post helpful.

Mr. IF has built two covered feeders that we can move around. We feed round bales in them. Not necessarily inexpensive but much better built than the metal feeders or classier looking than the hay huts.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

we just had a customer come today and purchase their third hay feeder - says his belgians had a hay hut and just destroyed in a week - actually lifted off the ground and folded it.

We have one of our rings under a roof [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: To remove advertising violation

someone on here has some great pictures of a home made round bale feeder with a roof... I remember seeing it maybe a year or more ago...I posted on it and so did Bluey I think? it was really nifty-we have one built without a roof based on the same idea.

One downfall of the hay hut is horses rubbing their manes out.

Bravestom, thank you for the link to the picture. That is along the lines of what I would like to build. Do you know how tall the roof is? Safety for the horses nogens is of course a concern for me. Do you wish yours was able to be moved or do you find it fine that it is stationary? I do like the hay huts, but again I want to be able to see the hay level and do worry about manes. Not to mention two of my geldings tend to turn things into toys. I purchased a fake rock to cover an ugly water access pipe in the pasture. Needless to say it is never on the pipe but instead rolled around the pasture. I'll chock that up to enrichment. I did search the forums and found some suggestions though there were links that no longer worked. Anymore pictures and ideas are appreciated!

Well we are off to Lowe's tonight to buy the supplies to build our own. Looks like we can build two for the price of one hay hut. Hubby is putting them on skids so they are movable. Well technically one will be a slow feeder (square bales) for the minis but it will be under roof too. I'll post pictures when done if they aren't too scarey . ha!

Quote Originally Posted by equislover View Post
    Bravestom, thank you for the link to the picture. That is along the lines of what I would like to build. Do you know how tall the roof is? Safety for the horses nogens is of course a concern for me. Do you wish yours was able to be moved or do you find it fine that it is stationary? I do like the hay huts, but again I want to be able to see the hay level and do worry about manes. Not to mention two of my geldings tend to turn things into toys. I purchased a fake rock to cover an ugly water access pipe in the pasture. Needless to say it is never on the pipe but instead rolled around the pasture. I'll chock that up to enrichment. I did search the forums and found some suggestions though there were links that no longer worked. Anymore pictures and ideas are appreciated!
    We made it high enough to get the bale in over top of the ring. Our horses are all 17hh or better - plenty enough room

I have not built one of their hay feeders, but I'm very happy with the shelter frame we got from Klene Pipe: http://www.klenepipe.com/store.asp?p...03&catid=19824

That's in the middle of buy it or build it -- you bolt together their metal frame, then add the wood and roofing yourself.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I have always admired the Klene Pipe hay structures from afar but find them to be out of our budget.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    someone on here has some great pictures of a home made round bale feeder with a roof... I remember seeing it maybe a year or more ago...I posted on it and so did Bluey I think? it was really nifty-we have one built without a roof based on the same idea.
    We have never fed big bales to our horses, so don't have any big bale feeder.
    I may have added pictures of such feeders someone else had made, that looked safe and practical?

This is my home built under roof round bale feeder. The round bale is in a Cinch Chix small hole hay net in the feeder.
    It is easy to fill (one of the sides is removable) and easy to drag around the paddock.

Something to mention, make the floor sturdy enough for a horse to stand in it. Our mare actually climbed into the feeder one day when the round bale was almost gone. So grateful that we thought to make the floor really sturdy.

Very cute trubandloki! That is along the lines of what we will build. Good thought on the floor, I did have my gelding follow me accidently into the feed room one day which I didn't think he would do with the elavated wood floor. You never know do you!

I remember reading of someone building one with an old giant satellite dish (remember those?) Very clever - and cheap!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Just googled "satellite dish hay feeder" and there are lots of pictures
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

That's actually a pretty good idea. When I contemplating just using our hay ring and two post and a roof I had looked for something to use for a round roof. That would have worked. ha! I bet if you painted it to match your other buildings it might be rather cute. I like repurposing things.

I built a roof for my existing hay ring out of PVC pipe and a tarp for under $100. It's not perfect, but it was very easy to make and didn't break the bank.

Our property gets some pretty serious wind so I am not sure that would work for us but that is a good idea. Certainly love the price!

Yeah, it hasn't been tested in the wind yet. It has stakes to anchor it, but haven't had a serious storm to challenge it yet.