The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Using 2H straight load like a box stall

Pros? Cons? for a nervous hauler/loader...

I can remove everything in the trailer so it would be like a stall. Short hauls - 20-30 min, not highway driving.

I've found this to be the best scenario to haul a nervous one..

As long as all your doors cannot be bumped upon from the inside (that is your escape doors are not the "door latch" type, but are held closed from the outside like the ramp is, so no pressure from the inside can pop the doors open.

I would not leave a horse loose, but tied would be okay. At six feet wide, most horses can't turn around easily in a 2 horse trailer. I'd be afraid of one scrambling to turn as you rounded a curve!! It would be hard to control your vehicle/trailer.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

This question seems to be coming up a lot! Consider putting in some 3/4 thick board across your escape doors, these doors are not heavy duty in most cases to be exposed to the horse, a lot of bulk head walls are not heavy enough either, best to be safe. What sid said.
    Risa
    www.HappytrailsTrailers.com
    www.BalancedRideTrailers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Pros? Cons? for a nervous hauler/loader...

I can remove everything in the trailer so it would be like a stall. Short hauls - 20-30 min, not highway driving.

I've always left them untied. But my trailer was specifically designed to break down to a box stall for hauling. And the escaped doors have heavy duty outside latches, just like the back doors.

When hauling mares and foals, I tie the mare.

But for single horse, I have left them loose. When I go to take them out, they've preferred to travel facing the back. Every one of these nervous ones, seem to be happier traveling that way.

I have always when traveling with one horse allowed them to be loose. I have always removed centerboards. Of course the one time, with a two horse, rear ramp, the horse was tied, somehow got loose and traveled head hanging over the rear ramp. Fortunately, it was a local run.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Double Ditto what everyone has said about your escape doors!!

Even if they are not full-length, unless they have latches a horse could get through one if traveling with enough space to bump into them.

I generally do not tie my horses when I haul, but when I did remove my center partition to haul one I tied the horse "just in case".
    Full-length escape doors on this trailer did have latches outside.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

My doors do not have latches on the outside. Do you just nail 3/4 wood across door? What about when I need to get in and out?

When you take out the center partition, do you also remove the chest bars/middle bar or leave those in?

My doors do not have latches on the outside. Do you just nail 3/4 wood across door? What about when I need to get in and out?

When you take out the center partition, do you also remove the chest bars/middle bar or leave those in?
    Some trailers (Brenderup comes to mind) are supposed to have those dividers, etc. because they add stability to the frame. Pretty sure I read or saw that somewhere, and while I know that is vague info, it thought it was important enough to bear mentioning.

If I take out my center divider (which is designed to take be taken out via pins) my end posts are still there and that is what the butt bars attach to. I would definitely want the butt bars! I have mangers, so can't answer the first part, but if there was a way the horse could get too far forward, I would definitely want the chest bar and to tie the horse.

If you have a horse that is being difficult I would opt to rent or borrow a stock trailer if at all possible.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

My divider is all one piece, so all the chest and butt bars come out with it. But I prefer it this way, so it's just a large open box when I want it to be and all my horses are ALWAYS trained to self-load. I do tie, but with a twine breakaway fuse, but if they are alone in there, I'd have less heartburn about the tying.

Your horse will probably not fit unless you remove all, depending on your trailer materials and where your frame spacing is, you would want to use self tapping screws so they can be removed without a lot of damage or problem.

Warning too that even if you have outside latches the vast majority of walk out doors and a lot of bulk head walls are too lightly built to keep a hoof from going thru or from busting out the bottom frame... I am paranoid about it
    Risa