The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm awaiting a round bale net that I ordered (version of the Cinch Net)

Bought it privately from a lady who makes them. Anxious to see how much difference it will make. I've tracked the last 4 round bales for my two horses- they last an average of 10 days...there's definitely some waste. I use a Bale buddy so that helps but when they pull it out and fling it down or when my IdiotBlackHorse reaches in and actually picks up and removes the center of the bale and then uses that at his own personal comfy potty spot , it's time to find something better! I'm going to use the net in conjunction with the Bale Buddy. My guys are plump and slowing them down wouldn't be a bad thing. If anyone has been wondering if a net is really worth it, I'll update you after a few round bales and see what it looks like! Great price too!
    Kerri

Mind pming me the info? I've been looking at the cinch net but if someone makes the same thing and cheaper I'm all for it. I was considering making my own, someone said you can use the hockey/soccer netting and sew them together too.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

I've had the cinch chix round bale net for 2 years and it's more then paid for itself. I have literally no waste. Our rolls are roughly 900-1000 pounds; that lasts 3 horses 12-14 days.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think I'm on my 3rd year with my Cinch Chix net. It works perfectly, and looks exactly the same as it did the first time I used it. Should last forever.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

1 members found this post helpful.

I was in love with my Cinch Chix net for the first 8 months - since then, not so much. Holes galore. Terrible. Like insane. And my horses are not hard on the net, it is used with a feeder so they can't go free willy on it. They eat out of small hole nets in the trailer so the concept wasn't new to them.

I have been cobbling it together with bailing twine. I contacted Cinch Chix about the issue, they said if I had more holes to let them know, so I did, and I never heard another word.

Please pm me the info for the private maker, too, kasjordan, if you don't mind.

Just wanted to update- I've got my 3rd round bale in the net. The first one, I just set the whole thing on the ground. Was not happy with results- the bottom 100lbs of hay turned into a muddy,gooey,disgusting mess and had to be struggled out of the net to dump. The 2nd round, I used the net and the Bale Buddy- THRILLED with the results. There was maybe 6 cups of itty bitty ground pieces of hay in the bottom of the BBB and that was it- ZERO waste. We had snow during that bale and it didn't affect it at all. It is NOT slowing my horses down, matter of fact, because of the cold we got hit with they were eating it faster if anything....but I don't mind, I'd rather they were eating it than it laying wasted- so far, combined with the BBB, it's two thumbs up!
    Kerri

3 members found this post helpful.