The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Lister Star Clippers; Fine or Medium Blade?

I just purchased a Lister star clipper from smartpak and it came with a fine blade. I heard reviews that the fine blade is a, "really close clip."

I will be doing a trace clip with it. Any ideas? I am in northern IL and my horse comes inside at night so I'm not worried about him getting cold.

I use the blades it came with. It seems perfect for me for body clipping.
    Click here before you buy.

The fine blade will take all the hair off. I use a medium blade for my winter trace clips but that is just me. In the spring/early March, I go over the winter trace clip with a fine blade since spring is coming and the horses have started shedding.

The fine blade will take all the hair off
    I've yet to end up with a bald horse and have been using these clippers with the blades they came with for 4-5 years.

I use the medium blades on my Lister Stars when I bodyclip. The fine blades cut too short for me. Kind of like 40 blades on Oster clippers leave no hair behind.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I've yet to end up with a bald horse and have been using these clippers with the blades they came with for 4-5 years.
    Sigh, it won't leave much hair on the horse. My Listers came with a medium blade when I bought them 8+ plus years ago. I bought a fine blade and it leaves a thin layer of hair on the horse.

I switched to the medium blades several years ago and have been much happier with the clip jobs. Since I use smaller clippers with #10 blades on the legs and face, it's so much easier to blend than when using the fine blades.

Fine came with the clippers but I bought the medium and have used those exclusively for trace and body clips. Fine would be too short for me.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I use the fine but it is a short clip. Works for me though because I only clip once a winter.

I do not use the fine, I use the medium. Except mine are not marked by numbers (10, 30, etc.) like Oster blades OR with "fine" etc. Mine are marked with three capital letters? I believe ALS or similar? I'll have to check.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have a chestnut - the medium blade left him chestnut color. The fine blade took him right down to a bald pumpkin color. If you're new to clipping, the medium blade is more forgiving. I used the medium blade for the fall shows when I wanted him to look presentable & then used the fine blade in early winter to hold us over until spring. Love the clippers!

I used the Fine blades for a hunt clip. It is close, but within normal body clip parameters. While unforgiving, it was easy enough and nice enough for two weeks out before a show clip.

I just got mine and used the fine for a trace clip. It was a touch shorter than the 10 blade oster but not too noticeably. I like it because my pony will grow it all back in a week anyway. If I were clipping a horse with less hair to begin with I might try the medium, but I'm still not sure it's worth the extra 50 bucks.

I got them in the mail yesterday. I like them a lot. Do you guys use them to clip the face and legs? If not what other clipper do you use? I don't want the hair length to be shorter in one place than the other.

I don't clip faces and legs normally, but for smaller jobs like bridle paths, ears, and the occasional fetlock I use my Oster A5s.