The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Tack Stores in These Cities???

I'm going to be visiting some relatives through December/January and I figure, while I'm gone I might as well hit up some tack stores!

I'm going to be in Albany/Binghamton, NY, Atlanta/Marietta, GA, and Houston/Katy, TX. I will definitely be hitting up my main haunts, (the Dover in Alpharetta and Charlotte's Saddlery in Houston), but are there any other good local or big name tack stores around?

Anything else horsey related I should go check out when I'm in those cities?

I have an awesome tack shop in Rochester NY (about 2 hrs from Binghamton). We do it all! T.S., Rambo, Ariat, Joules, GPA, Edgewood.
    www.thehuntinghorn.com

Come see us !

You have to stop at Empire Saddlery in Webster New York. This shop will be well worth your time, they have all the top brands "in stock" and their Saddle selection is out of this world. 585-872-2270

I love Atlanta Saddlery, which is down the road from the Alpharetta Dover store (same street, same SIDE of the street in fact, just a few miles south.) I am partial to them because they have supported our local and regional H/J scene for decades, and the staff is wonderful. I feel they have a more of the nicer quality goods than Dover (like Heythrop hunt coats), and their prices are competitive on those items. For everyday stuff, Dover will be cheaper.

Atlanta Saddlery also overlooks Wills Park, and there may be a show that weekend depending upon when you are here.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

I grew up in Alpharetta, but moved away 7 years ago. There's a good consignment shop near Atlanta Saddlery called The Tack Exchange and then there was another shop on the other side of the Dover store down highway 9 at the Bethany Bend intersection... but it might not still be there. It was nice from what I can remember.

If you're really up for an adventure go to Hamps, but it's definitely not your average tack store.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Depending on what time you're in Houston, Rose Hollow in Conroe usually has a very good sale in early January. I don't know what the exact dates are for it though.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I second (or third) the suggestion to visit Atlanta Saddlery. MUCH nicer than the Dover store!!! The consignment shop is only a few doors down but it's in a little office type complex, not a store front facing the road (you can find directions on their website at http://snootyfox.net/index.php)

Happy shopping!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Atlanta Saddlery has a much better selection of nice gift items, and it is a fun shop to visit. As a previous poster noted, every day type stuff will be cheaper at Dover, but I doubt that is what you will be looking to buy while you are on vacation. And I've gotten some cute stuff at the Snooty Fox consignment shop too. The Snooty Fox is towards the back of the office park, on the side, as mentioned above, so don't worry if you don't see it right away.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Thanks guys! These are exactly the kind of stores I was looking for! I especially need to find a good present for a fellow equestrian, who has been such an amazing friend this year, so Atlanta Saddlery sounds like it might be a good place for that.

Keep the stores coming!

Is Lightning G still around in NY ? That used to be a great tack shop - not sure if it's still there....