The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Since SePowell already said this on Off course I will share here...

"He has a wind issue but is otherwise sound"

I spoke to his old trainer and it's VERY noticeable according to him.

Now what I will add is that the horses who are nice winning horses for Pletcher often have "good health care" in that barn. And the year gap in his record indicates they may have been trying to 1.) fix this issue or 2.) fix this issue and let him grow as bigger babies can have ocd's or just developmental stuff that necessitates letting them not be pressed as hard for a bit.

But he certainly was successful when he came back until his airway caught up.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Emily is it operable or Arytnoids???

Hold on!! Don't dispair!!

Big Fearless is a nice horse with a partially paralyzed flap. I found out about this earlier today and have not had a chance to add this new info to his pictures. I haven't even written any descriptions...

Anyway, I took the video yesterday, less than 24 hours before he raced and the lovely mover you see in the video is the horse he is. He was not on bute when the video was taken and you can't move like that and be an unsound horse. He raced today and came in last because he can't get enough air. I suspect that he'll move as well tomorrow as he did yesterday because he just didn't go fast enough to hurt himself.

Even though he's a colt we could lead him without a chain on his nose. He is a sweet heart and gives hugs. I can't say enough good things about this horse. He's also big and needs more time to finish maturing so he's a long term project. He's a love, a big classic love and one day he may be someone's class horse because he has such a kind heart, good mind and lovely way of going.

I'm pretty sure he'll have a home by the end of the week so don't dispair, but if you want him jump in and make an offer pronto because his trainer is leaving for Belmont on Saturday.

In the meantime there are a lot of people hovering over him and I don't think he'll end up in a bad place.

By the way, his trainer speaks English as well as I speak Spanish and so information was not forthcoming.

PS Emily, thank you for your note. My mail is screwed up and an ad covers the send button so I can't answer pms

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Now I feel guilty for buying 2 @ Penn yesterday and 1 @ Parx and 1 at CT.....although a FLF did arrive today but alas that lovely belongs to another COTHer...

Here's hoping for a soft landing..maybe we can set up our own Mrs Medicott bank account...enabling.....OK if you guys can get him here I will give him a STALL for 3 months NO BOARD $$$....BUT I will not ADOPT of KEEP him.....
    What a nice offer!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

That is a nice offer!

I just want to add that what all of you know, and that is sound to the eye does not reflect brewing problems so please have any horse you buy from FL vetted. At least have their joints flexed and if there are any questions xray. In most cases, a big horse like this needs to mature before his joints can support the kind of pounding that comes with race training and racing, so if I were buying him that's where my focus would be.

I'm going to cross post this down in the Finger Lakes thread too.

I can squeeze the Lemon only so far but if you all get a Sponser I will let him down and get him re-started for 90 days and you all can re-sell him onto a forever home and use the funds to get another FLF deserving horse a "soft-Landing" I just can't spend anymore $$ to buy and ship a horse.

Here's a bit of Hope..i had a horse suddenly develope a Partial Paralized flap...perhaps from a virus..since he was already eventing when it occurred and it was open not closed I was able to sell him onto a ULR and his career continued...then the ULR had a big offfer to sell him and she did so, during the PPE she noticed he wasn't making the gosh aweful noise which she learned to ignore...low and behold he scoped 100% clean and healthy..it had resolved...and they did have the orginal scope on CD so there was no mistake!!!!
    Last edited by judybigredpony; Dec. 5, 2012 at 09:18 AM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    I can squeeze the Lemon only so far but if you all get a Sponser I will let him down and get him re-started and you all can re-sell him onto a forever home and use the funds to get another FLF deserving horse a "soft-Landing" I just can't spend anymore $$ to buy and ship a horse.

Here's a bit of Hope..i had a horse suddenly develope a Partial Paralized flap...perhaps from a virus..since he was already eventing when it occurred and it was open not closed I was able to sell him onto a ULR and his career continued...then the ULR had a big offfer to sell him and she did so, during the PPE she noticed he wasn't making the gosh aweful noise which she learned to ignore...low and behold he scoped 100% clean and healthy..it had resolved...and they did have the orginal scope on CD so there was no mistake!!!!
    WOW

Did someone give him a home? He is listed as placed now.

Lets hope so..Jingling for a new home....

He is still there -- I was at the track this morning. Our not for profit group Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds has been working on a soft landing for this horse for a week and half now. We showed him to someone looking for a high performance sport horse on the Friday after Thanksgiving who understandably flipped over him and agreed to purchase pending PPE. So we did not put him on the listings. He raced a couple of days later, then failed the PPE due to serious knee problems and a serious roaring condition despite previous tie back surgery. We were then informed that the price dropped to rock bottom and he had to go immediately. So I immediately got in touch with people who know the breeder and started working on arrangements for a sponsorship and a very good placement with a highly reputable program. We also have donors lined up for the gelding procedure and for a full set of knee x-rays. And we also have a temporary home all lined up where the horse can recover from the gelding procedure, since the program that will take him cannot take a stud colt.
    SEPowell did not know about this since she is no longer part of our organization.
    While recent well intentioned but not fully informed interventions have made our plans a bit more difficult, we are still working hard on them. We remain hopeful that we will be taking the horse to safety this weekend.
    Thank you everybody for your offers of help. JBRP, what a wonderful generous offer! But your place is in the opposite direction from the place where we eventually hope to place him, and that would be too much shipping logistics. The temporary home we have arranged is in the direction of the ultimate destination. And thank you so much for providing a temporary home to the stunning Finger Lakes Finest that we helped his new person see and pick out!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

What a shame.

Thank you for setting the record straight though and I really hope this guy gets a wonderful retirement home.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    He is still there -- I was at the track this morning. Our not for profit group Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds has been working on a soft landing for this horse for a week and half now. We showed him to someone looking for a high performance sport horse on the Friday after Thanksgiving who understandably flipped over him and agreed to purchase pending PPE. So we did not put him on the listings. He raced a couple of days later, then failed the PPE due to serious knee problems and a serious roaring condition despite previous tie back surgery. We were then informed that the price dropped to rock bottom and he had to go immediately. So I immediately got in touch with people who know the breeder and started working on arrangements for a sponsorship and a very good placement with a highly reputable program. We also have donors lined up for the gelding procedure and for a full set of knee x-rays. And we also have a temporary home all lined up where the horse can recover from the gelding procedure, since the program that will take him cannot take a stud colt.
    SEPowell did not know about this since she is no longer part of our organization.
    While recent well intentioned but not fully informed interventions have made our plans a bit more difficult, we are still working hard on them. We remain hopeful that we will be taking the horse to safety this weekend.
    Thank you everybody for your offers of help. JBRP, what a wonderful generous offer! But your place is in the opposite direction from the place where we eventually hope to place him, and that would be too much shipping logistics. The temporary home we have arranged is in the direction of the ultimate destination. And thank you so much for providing a temporary home to the stunning Finger Lakes Finest that we helped his new person see and pick out!
    Big Fearless has an incredibly soft landing and is shipping tomorrow. He is to be a family horse, he'll be loved and pampered, he'll have his own people, he'll be used but not abused. There is no better situation for an animal as kind and people oriented as this horse. He was safe yesterday, he is safe now and he'll be safe tomorrow, the next day and the next day.

His trainer wanted and needed to sell him. He's not a rich man and just claimed this horse for $4000 and he needed some compensation. It was his perogative to sell him to this loving family. Only the owner has the right to make plans for and move this horse, it's that simple.

How dare any of us assume this trainer made a bad decision or that this new home isn't anything but the best situation for the horse? As it turns out I know the trainer made a good decision. The horse is going to experienced horse people who know how to handle horses who may be developing arthritis. They're looking for a family pet, not the next Cafe Prince. Please, let's put this to rest.
    Last edited by SEPowell; Dec. 5, 2012 at 04:02 PM.

What wonderful news! Two groups working to help, but without full knowledge of each others' efforts, and something indeed came through -- what a happy ending to the story. I wish Biggie and his new family many happy years together.
    If the new home is a not for profit I would be happy to try to ask our donors to redirect their donations.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

SEPowell - random question - do you know where Kingston Five landed? Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by ellisrun View Post
    SEPowell - random question - do you know where Kingston Five landed? Keep up the good work
    Hi, I do not but email Christine and ask her. If he went to a resale home she'll be able to tell you.

While I'm here, I'll give an update on Big Fearless. I just received a family picture of him with his head and body wrapped around his new family. They said he's the most gentle and special horse they've known and already love him. He lives on a beautiful farm in Georgia and has people and horses for companions. They're not worried about his ankle, his knees are cold, and he's sound and very comfortable. He's with very good horsemen and has a wonderful home. It can't get better than this for any horse.

2 members found this post helpful.