The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WARNING

In the last two days, I have received three "PM" notices as I've logged on here. One was from 5 and the other two were from Cloudyandcallie.

The title of these three messages have made absolutely NO SENSE at all (the last one from Cloudyandcallie was RE: new mailing address). As I have NOT PMed either of the two parties regarding the "titles" of the PMs nor responded to a thread ANYWHERE on the COTH forums regarding same, I have to believe it's a hacker or virus.

I am NOT accusing the two parties above of sending me something nasty. It's just a warning that others here MIGHT receive something similar. For what it's worth, NOR HAVE I PM'd ANYONE here in the last (I'd say) SIX MONTHS, SO IF ANYONE HERE RECEIVES A PM NOTICE FROM ME, DELETE IT. DO NOT OPEN.

RHdobes563
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Sounds like the accounts may have been hacked...I would forward both messages to one of the moderators.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

We should change our passwords too, right?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Were you involved in helping to buy the old chestnut TB mare last spring? The messages have to do with that and are legit. If you didn't contribute then I'm sure they were sent to you in error. They aren't hackers or spam.

6 members found this post helpful.

I got them and they made perfect sense to me. It was sent to all of the "owners" of the Old Chestnut Mare (aka Always Funny). If you're not part of the "syndicate" than you just got put on the list accidentally. Nothing sinister going on here.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

5 members found this post helpful.

Thank you. I DID send some money along for the old chestnut TB mare. I'll check the other e-mails for same.

If by some chance all of my PMs were about the chestnut mare, I apologize to 5 and Cloudyandcallie.

Sorry, guys.

RHdobes563
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

2 members found this post helpful.

better to be safe than sorry!
    it has been known to happen, not on COTH but various accounts do get hacked and used for nefarious purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The change of address was a correction for BlueandGrays mailing address which CnC mistyped the first time.

You were included in the email from the list of Always Funny owners listed halfway down on page 39 of this thread.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...rement!/page39
    You are the 55th one down the list.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

4 members found this post helpful.

They are about the chestnut mare Funny. No hacker. They just used the list of folks who helped the mare to contact them.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

Hey, I was PMing all the owners of Always Funny. Your name was on the list. Those PMs are not spam, but I'll delete you from them.

Oh OK, just got home from barn and see that others have clarified it.

I got a PM from 5, so I offered to do some PMing. Then I needed to change the address, so you got another PM. Sorry about the confusion.

And thanks guys, for telling everyone it's not spam. Or hacking.

8 members found this post helpful.

I've tried to respond to the PM's asking that someone send me a paypal address so I can send a holiday dribble for Funny, but so far have not received any info. So if either 5 or C&C are reading this.....

thanks!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Hi guys,
    The confusion is partly my fault as I had done the original pming and collecting for Funny when we first bought her, but this time I'm stuck in the hospital so I'm grateful that 5 and C&C are taking care of things this time around. We may want to take this conversation to the Facebook page as of course we are in kind of a gray area as far as reminding people about sending $$ for a non-charity which isn't allowed by COTH. They were kind enough not to shut down the original thread, so let's not push our luck .

Also, I know the PM's got sent out this time because a bunch of our "owners" had requested a reminder at Christmas to send more dribble at this time. Kim herself did not contact us asking for funds, just to clarify. Also, if you are not interested or not able to dribble more, please don't be upset/offended/worried/ashamed/angry or anything else....just have a very merry Christmas and know we are all grateful for the initial dribble that made buying Funny possible. She's a greatññn gal and a joy to the herd. Oh, and should you prefer to send feed directly vice $$, she buys her feed at Tri County feeds in Marshall.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll PM the PayPal address to you, pony4me. Looks like from this thread that both 5 and C&C have been dealing with rapidly filling inboxes. I'm sure one of them would send it as soon as they saw your post, but hey, I'm up and all so it will be to you in a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I've tried to respond to the PM's asking that someone send me a paypal address so I can send a holiday dribble for Funny, but so far have not received any info. So if either 5 or C&C are reading this.....

thanks!

I got it to her already also, lol.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

I thought there was a pretty good chance of that, but figured it wouldn't hurt to send it anyway just in case. I posted that I was sending the PM since as a lurker I didn't want my PM to seem like it was coming out of left field or anything. Glad to see you posting so soon after surgery! Hope everything went as well as possible and that your recovery is uneventful.

I kind of feel left out. I didn't get any PM's about Funny and I was the one that trailered her to her soft landing! Can I please be included on the owners list so I can continue to help with her care? It is Christmas time! I think we should have a reunion on her one year anniversery!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kimball56 View Post
    I kind of feel left out. I didn't get any PM's about Funny and I was the one that trailered her to her soft landing! Can I please be included on the owners list so I can continue to help with her care? It is Christmas time! I think we should have a reunion on her one year anniversery!

I'm a bonehead.

I just copied the list of people who donated through paypal and completely forgot about the rescue possie.

You did much much more that donate funds. Anyone can sit behind a computer and press a button on paypal.
    Without the COTHers willing to pull things together Always Funny would never have been ours.

Everyone who was actually there for the rescue are of course owners, even more than the rest of us because you actually have touched and petted our old girl
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Missing some owners is my fault. i went back when 5 told me there were more people than on her list, and some of those I found had full PM mailboxes, and some had different spellings, so I missed something like 5 or 7 owners.

The email for paypal is good. 5 and I are NOT running a nigerian scam to get your money. We are not soliciting. And the email/paypal addy is good. And please don't apologize for not doing anything or tell me how much, as you all have done enough already.

And a note to all: Alittlegray, and others, have been helping out all along. (not me, I thought the old girl wouldn't last long. And I'm not on FB, altho her FB page is open to all of us.)

And alittlegray is in hospital now for 8th time this year. Yes, that is 8th time this year. I hope someone near Fredricksburg, VA, will PM me so I can get something sent to alittlegray in hospital. I think it is Fredricksburg? Where Mary Washington is. PM me if anyone is around there.

Quote Originally Posted by kimball56 View Post
    It's my fault. I got the list and some issues arouse with emailing a list. My fault.

And I too PMed pony4me yesterday and she did send some. Do not feel pressured. Do not apologize. Do not tell me the amount! We are all owners here.

Please guys it's ok! I am just happy to be included now and able to send a dribble her way! I don't have any children or husband so I have just included Funny on my short Christmas list that includes my horse and my dogs!