The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Louise, cats and dogs both can upchuck at the blink of an eye. I hope everything stays down and she's perkier in the morning.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

As for the grooming...it is expensive to have done, but buy a set of clippers at Walmart for about $15 and a book on grooming and go at it. Hope your cat is better and you get the dog!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

While I've had dogs my whole life, we always started with a puppy, it seemed, until Mr. CC and I got an older, small, mixed spaniel type from my mom. He was a rescue and while he's a known biter, he's been easy for us. This summer, we (okay, me!) adopted an "older" male Pom from our local shelter. Whooeey! This little old man has multiple health issues (unbeknownst to us at adoption time), but after a healthy investment of $$, he is healthy, happy and has fit in to our 4 cat, 5 dog household.

My mom had Shih Tzus for years--the boys are hard to potty train, but her little girl was a delight. They are sweet, smart, quiet, clean and easy to groom. If she's been professionally groomed before, you should be able to easily do it yourself. As with many small breeds, teeth are usually an issue.

As I type this, I am tossing a cat toy for the Pom (yup, loves those crunchy foil ball thingies), and scratching our ancient, fat yellow, ugly Daisy Dog. We adopted her 2 years ago. She is probably 11-13 years old now, and I'm sure she would have been euthanized had we not taken her. She's our allergic to everything $30 "deal" dog.

I think I live on the farm of misfit strays sometimes.

Louise--go for it!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

If you get her then you can clip her yourself. If you don't want to use the pet clippers (human clippers are noisier, and animal clippers are better) electric model, then get the hand clippers. They're what people barbers used to use, and they work very well.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I woke up this morning knowing the right thing to do. On this board, it's not going to be popular, and I can certainly understand that. So, let me try to explain.

Money is part of it, but, truly, not the major reason why I have decided not to get Bella. The most important thing is that I know, in my heart of hearts, that it would distress Becky, my scardy-cat. Becky has been through major trauma already, these past few months. Some of you may remember, from another thread here, that she is the cat that had to go to Cornell for radiation treatment because she was hyperthyroid. She was a hard case there and the vets had to really struggle to get her to eat anything. She's now totally back to normal, but it took a while.

And, as I mentioned earlier, we will be going through some major construction around the house over the winter. That will have her upset again. She will be under the bed for days. She is my heart cat. I know, deep inside, that I do not want to expose her to any more trauma, especially right now.

Those of us who love animals, which is all of us here, always want to do more. We want to take in every sad and lonely animal that we find. If it were wise, my house would be overflowing with all kinds of animals. But, as a couple of you have said, my first responsibility is to the animals that I already have. I cannot risk harm or undue stress to them, just because I want, whatever I want.

I put this before you because I was unsure. I've been a member of COTH almost since its beginning. I know its foibles, and I know its strengths. I know I will get advice from the heart here, and I know that there will be people who will slap me alongside the head and tell me to smarten up. I am grateful for both. I thank all of you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts and feelings.

I'm very sad right now. I want this dog. But, I'm not going to go get her. I'm going to take top notch care of the four cats I already have, and do the right thing by them. That is the responsibility that I undertook when they came into my house. I owe it to them.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

5 members found this post helpful.

Louise - I think you're doing the right thing. Yes, it would be lovely to take poor old Bella home, but your first responsibility is to your present pets and to yourself. If it isn't the right time, it isn't. There will be a point when you're ready, and a dog will be waiting. That will be your dog.

StG

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Kitties first

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    Louise - I think you're doing the right thing. Yes, it would be lovely to take poor old Bella home, but your first responsibility is to your present pets and to yourself. If it isn't the right time, it isn't. There will be a point when you're ready, and a dog will be waiting. That will be your dog.

StG
    I'm in total agreement with this.^

I didn't mean to 'slap you upside your head' but we both are alike in that we would take in every stray, mistreated, etc critter out there. You knew about Bones remember? But once you've taken them in, that is your major job to do right by them. You do a wonderful job with your cats and with Lexy.

Do you remember when I had Bonnie and, much as I wanted to adopt another dog or even cat, I was afraid to for fear she would kill it because of the number of animals she did kill outside protecting the farm (baby coon, rabbit, chipmunk, etc) and the damned fox she tried so hard to kill!

Now, go give your kitties a hug.

Hope that Gina got the vomiting out of her system for good.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Louise, you have made an informed and heartfelt decision. No one can fault you.

OTOH I could slap upside the head the couple with the infant who unloaded the aged dog. Gee whiz people.

I have a friend who fosters dogs for a rescue. At one point, after a couple particularly difficult and destructive dogs, she and her husband decided to take a break for a couple months. She felt so guilty about not housing a couple extra dogs, but I told her that if she didn't take a break and burned herself out of fostering far more dogs could potentially be harmed.

As my sister says, when the oxygen masks drops, you're supposed to put yours on before you help anyone else.

You might consider fostering a rescue for your first dog, so you can see if it fits into your lifestyle before you commit to adoption. A dog will be there when you're ready.

StG

Your existing critters have to come first. I think you're doing the right thing for you and your pets.

((hugs))
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I was one who was sort of "enabling" you initially, but as you have explained things, it seems you are making a very sensible decision under the circumstances. Of course the needs of our exiistimg animals must come first! Kudos to you for respecting the needs of your current family of animals!