The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oh, sssssugarfoot! Do I get a dog sooner than I planned or not? Decision made.

So, I'm going to go to Lollypop Farm today, to drop off the proceeds from some donation jars that I am responsible for. I decide, for some unknown reason, to take a look at the cats and dogs that they have available on line. None of the cats grabbed my heart, but, there on the dog page is Bella. She's 10 years old, and was given up because they got a new baby. She's so little, and old. I would think she's scared, too.

I've not gotten a dog because I'm afraid that one of my cats is too much of a scardy-cat to tolerate her. Do I go look, or not? She's so little, and old. My heart just breaks.

Unfortunately, it won't let me link the page directly, but if you go here and look for Bella, you'll see some pictures of her. http://www.lollypop.org/site/c.clKUI....BCC6/Dogs.htm
    Last edited by Louise; Dec. 5, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

3 members found this post helpful.

I can't believe you took the time to type out the question! Go get her!!

4 members found this post helpful.

God it just ticks me off to no end when people do that sort of thing.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the little ones, it sure does sound like she'd be small and not intimidating for your other critters and might be a good fit!

Post pics once you pick her up. LOL!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Not going to help you out here.... You have room, can afford her, have thought about the implications of adding a dog, why haven't you gone to meet her yet!!!! She is adorable!

An aside, really? A baby and you dump your dog? Nice.

1 members found this post helpful.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I know, the reason she was given up ticked me off, too. Sigh, I know nothing about dogs, never had one, so I'm somewhat intimidated, myself. I'd take her to training class, for sure, but, how trainable is this type of dog, at her age?

Oh shoot, I see that link doesn't even take you to the dog page. Lollypop is really missing out by not having each individual dog linkable. Sorry, I guess you'll just have to look for her.

The old adage that you can't teach an old dog new tricks is a bunch of baloney, but my guess is that she's already got enough training to be fine even w/o some classes.

Since you've not had a dog before, I'll jot down a few thoughts.

First, having an older dog as a first dog is probably really wise because you don't have to muddle your way through all the potty training and such. However, it also means that you're coming into dog ownership at a time when medical issues start popping up.

For her breed, 10 isn't THAT old. Depending on her current health, she may have more than 5 years left in her. But especially with smaller breeds like her, you may have dentition issues that need to be addressed which can also lead to additional expenses for food.

She's also a groomable breed which means that to keep her coat in good condition, she'll need to visit the groomer every 5-6 weeks. For a dog that size, you're probably looking at 50 bucks a pop.

She will need to be able to go out to potty at least every 8 hours--possibly more with her age. My older dog has to be able to go out more like every 3 hours right now. At his best, he can go 6. So unlike the kitties where you don't have to think about it, you'll want to stay on top of it with a dog in the house.

That also means that if you want to take a weekend trip or something, you have to make arrangement to either board her or find someone who can come stay with her. Some people just have a dog sitter come twice a day when they're gone, but I don't think that's enough--especially for an older dog.

One nice thing about a small, older dog is that the activity level probably isn't really high so you won't have to worry about doing lots of walking/play time else risk having your house destroyed. LOL

Most dogs can learn to be around cats and most cats can learn to tolerate or even LIKE dogs. LOL I don't think you'll have too much trouble there because you know your cats.

Good luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Original Poster

Should I quarantine her at first? I would if she was a cat, but I don't know if it's necessary with a dog.

Original Poster

Oh dear. Hopefully she'll still be there tomorrow. I just had one of my cats throw up for the fourth time in an hour. Then, I caught her straining in the litter box but not being able to go. I called the vet and instead of going to Lollypop, I'm going to be taking Gina for a doctor's visit.

Obviously, she doesn't want me to get a dog.

Default Bella

I've seen Bella there before when I was looking and keeping an eye open because I knew I'd have to put down Bonnie so I'm guessing since July at least. She'll be there tomorrow so don't worry about it. If not, then it wasn't meant to be.

Yes, old dogs are trainable and they do adapt easily to your schedule but you need to find out if she's been around cats or not. I'm rather certain you'd need to take Leon with you to see her as he's boss at your place. Not sure it you don't want to try to take all the cats actually. Becky esp.

Also, are you really sure you want to start out with winter and snow and ice having to walk a dog? It can be a royal PITA. Patsy is good about the Invisible Fence but if it's a nice day, like today (65F) she doesn't want to come in whereas on a really cold morning (22F) she didn't want to stay out long enough to do her business either.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Go get her! Senior rescues are the best. I adopted my new/old cocker last spring. It took her a while to get over her depression, but she fits right in with the rest of my dogs. She's delightful. I love the seniors the most.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Member of Kathy S. has me on ignore club.

She's adorable...and needs a softer place to spend her Golden Years!! Not much for you to learn with an older "lap sized" dog. She will tell you how to do it!! Food, water, exercise (indoor will suit her in bad weather) and a cozy person to cuddle with. I don't know how people can just dump their older ...or any dogs just because they are no longer important to their life plan!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Oh, gosh go get her. And while you are at it, get Andrea too! Oh wait, that's $100 or so for grooming every 5-6 weeks.

Look, I got my first dog at the age of 52. Was supposed to be daughter's dog, but she went off to college that year and here I am nine years later with not one, but two toy poodles. (Had to get the second one to keep the first one company right?)

They are now Bella-age, almost, and really require nothing more than a daily 20 minute walk, and then they are ready to just cuddle and nap the rest of the day.

If you can take care of a horse, you can take care of a tiny dog!
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

Of course I hope that you go snatch her up and she is a perfect match for your lifestyle but I think it can be helpful to play devils advocate as well. You know your cats the best. Is there a chance that the afore mentioned "scaredy cat" will be genuinely traumatized by the new addition? If so, are you willing to potentially handle anxiety related destruction, urination, etc? If scaredy cat is a bit tentative but overall a resilient cat, then I bet he or she will settle in just fine. At 10 she most likely is going to be pretty laid-back or quiet enough that she leaves the cats alone once they establish their dynamic. My current cat is not a fan of dogs at all but over time she established an adorable dynamic with my dog. Most cats are surprisingly adaptable.

I hope that sick kitty feels better and that you have an opportunity to meet Bella. She looks absolutely darling.

Original Poster

Well, $250 later, it's one of those "she's not right, but nothing obvious is wrong" things with the cat. No constipation showing in the X-rays, no bladder blockage, no temperature. I came home with antibiotics because my vet says that she is beginning to notice a few cats come in with gastrointestinal upsets and she wonders if there isn't some gut thing going around. Plus, my vet reminded me that I need to get her teeth done, and Becky's. That's several hundred dollars for that, because I know that there are going to have to be teeth removed along with the cleaning. Now, I'm wondering if I can afford a dog.

I hate being so torn. And, GraceLikeRain, I am worried about the scardy-cat. I can't even use my ceiling fans because she hides under the bed and won't come out for hours if I turn them on. And, I'm looking at some major construction around the house which might upset her, also. Oh, I wish there was somebody who would step up and say that Bella is just right for them. I'm not pleased with myself for being so wishy-washy.

You might try some of the Feli-way pheromone products for the scaredy cat. Or even prozac. It works and can make a huge difference in quality of life. And then GO GET YOUR DOG!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Louise. I don't think you are being wishy washy in the slightest. You are trying to be a responsible owner and put your current animals first. I think that is much more commendable then getting the dog and telling your cats to deal with it regardless of the consequences.

I bet you could groom her yourself, clip or scissor, and bet she would be ok with the cats.

I cannot fathom why her owners would part with her!

It is too bad that finances might discourage a good home....bet you could really handle quite a lot with little $$ spent, and you sound like you would be a terrific home. You can spend a ton, or not....

I used to live in Pittsfard and have been to Lollipop!

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Louise. I don't think you are being wishy washy in the slightest. You are trying to be a responsible owner and put your current animals first. I think that is much more commendable then getting the dog and telling your cats to deal with it regardless of the consequences.
    Yes GraceLikeRain, I gave you the thumbs up! At least the first one. Louise, you must honor your commitment to your cats first and formost. You know I've said how rewarding it is to 'save' a senior but your first commitment was to Becky, Gina, Leon and (I forgot the last one-me bad).

Here's a little story for you. A very dear friend had 2 older dogs. She lost one and thought it felt strange around the house with only 1 dog. Mind you they also had 3 cats. Anyway, she went to a local adoption, Big Dogs, Big Hearts and adopted first a pit bull as she had lost a pit bull mix. That dog did appear to live up to all the bad rap of PB and the adoption took it back. She then adopted a lovely YOUNG husky/shepard mix. Young dog and old remaining dog got on OK but old dog got knocked down a LOT. She then adopted another YOUNG pit bull that is as sweet as it can be but is very dog aggressive to unfamiliar dogs. Old dog gets knocked down more and more by 2 young healthy playful dogs. Moral to the story, even she admits she never should have adopted the 2 younger dogs until the older one finally passed on. She loves all of them and does realize her mistake. It's too late to take the young dogs back as they are part of the family but the old dog literally hides all day.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

As for Gina, sometimes no diagosis happens. How is she doing? Did she stop vomiting?
    Sue

Original Poster

Yes, Sue, she has stopped vomiting, and is very hungry. I guess she was just being a cat. I'm going to sleep on this. Sometimes, things are clearer in the morning.