The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lessons barns (w/ schoolies) in Montgomery County, MD

I know similar threads pop up from time to time but a search didn't reveal anything overly helpful (or particularly recent).

I'm an adult re-rider--I've gotten back into the saddle this summer thanks to a lovely COTHer who found me on the Riderless horses matchmaking thread. So I've got some of my riding muscles back, and, now I'm itching for some proper lessons again too.

I've found a few possibilities in this area--Oatland, Queenside Stables--but I would really appreciate some advice and/or opinions from some locals, as I'm totally not into the "horse loop" in this area. (PM's are fine!)

I'm primarily a h/j rider, but I'm definitely open to riding at an eventing barn as well, as any serious showing just isn't in the picture for me anytime in the next year or so, $$-wise. This would likely also rule out any really serious show barns, as I'm not financially in a position to join any sort of program.

The only real "requirements" I have are 1) price--it would be preferable if lessons were under $50 a piece, 2) location--Montgomery County only, though upper or eastern is fine (VA is just too much of a slog for me, especially if I'm going to try and make it over in the evenings after work), and 3) decent schoolies for an adult to ride.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Hi Natalie, sent you a PM

The obvious seems Meadowbrook.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

I believe when I checked Meadowbrook out close to 10 years ago their per lesson price was well above $50 then. Worth a call though.

Most of your best bets are probably in the Poolesville area. Joanne Schaudies at Surmont has been around forever and is a solid teacher. Kevin and Holly at Broad Run Farm are also good, but I imagine cost above the $50 mark. Robin Wilcox is another good choice, several clients allow their horses to be used in lessons and are very well schooled. She is known to be very flexible too, which may help in your situation.

In the Brookeville area, Alexandra Panetta comes to mind, but again- not sure what she charges. I believe Rolling Acres also has a few lesson horses.

Check out the Equiery, but your best bet is to ask around at the local tack shops. Many of the good barns don't advertise and get their business word-of-mouth. Feel free to send me a PM if you like. Best of luck with your search.

baymarewithaflair and gottagrey--you both have PM's.

And chunky munky--thanks for the help, but I looked into Meadowbrook ages ago and their lessons are way out of my price range right now, haha.

Hi- I sent you a PM, may or may not be helpful.

Outside of the h/j circle, you could look into Waredaca. I believe they are reasonably priced and have nice facilities, good instructors, and I'm sure good school horses.

Meadowbrook is VERY pricey (they know their market and their neighborhood). They also don't have an indoor.

JoAnn Schaudies is good, no indoor but that doesn't seem to be an issue. She'd fit into the OP's price point for lessons as well... and also is pretty good about helping folks get in more saddle time - meaning some good partial lease arrangements.
    Broad Run also a good option but might be more per lesson - but worth calling.

I rode at Tulip Pond in Poolesville a few years back and was very happy with my group lessons and instruction.

Traffic was horrific on weekdays but I'm guess that on a weekend you'd be fine.