The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ok, I don't get why people think the horse jumped out. Reading the post I assumed it was locked/closed up in the indoor arena (my horse, upon finding itself loose and alone in an open indoor, would wander out in the direction of her friends/grass/food, not stay put in an arena).

So even if the OP's horse jumped out, how would it secure itself in the indoor? I feel people are kind of piling up unlikely possibilities instead of the much more likely one that the worker actually did turn the horse out in the indoor.

If the horse did jump and the worker found it and put it in indoor - BO should've been immediately informed.

If the horse was "intimidating" and the worker had to leave it in the indoor - the BO should've been immediately informed.

I'd be furious, with worker and with BO who, apparently having been warned that worker intends on doing a half-assed job, is not looking to either replace or augment current worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Ok, I don't get why people think the horse jumped out. Reading the post I assumed it was locked/closed up in the indoor arena (my horse, upon finding itself loose and alone in an open indoor, would wander out in the direction of her friends/grass/food, not stay put in an arena).

So even if the OP's horse jumped out, how would it secure itself in the indoor? I feel people are kind of piling up unlikely possibilities instead of the much more likely one that the worker actually did turn the horse out in the indoor.

If the horse did jump and the worker found it and put it in indoor - BO should've been immediately informed.

If the horse was "intimidating" and the worker had to leave it in the indoor - the BO should've been immediately informed.

because we read the OP which said:

THe BO put a small pen in the corner of the indoor, where the mare was to hang out for turnout until she was moved a few days later into a stall with a small in/out (read:so she cannot run around).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    because we read the OP which said:

THe BO put a small pen in the corner of the indoor, where the mare was to hang out for turnout until she was moved a few days later into a stall with a small in/out (read:so she cannot run around).
    LOL, my bad.

3 members found this post helpful.

I dunno- I think I agree that LBM should NOT talk to the BW- she should talk to the BO. This (worker slacking off) is the BO's problem.

Oh- and I would be FURIOUS too. Sorry, but if I'm paying board and the stable workers can't follow directions, especially when they read/ speak English and there is a care sign on the stall- I would be outta there sooo fast.

The BW life troubles/ works too much/ has kids/ is young etc... just isn't your problem, nor is it RELEVANT. If BW is being over worked, then BO should hire more help.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    The kid's been cocky with the BO too, they had words...something along the lines of the BO addressing the fact that she is not doing the barnwork right, has forgotten to WATER the horses (my other one included) and so forth. The girl told the BO she had to deal with it, since she could not stretch herself any thinner. She has 1 full time job, 1 part time job, teaches lessons on the weekends and has a kid. The BO trades babysitting for barn work.
    Classic. I'll pose an alternate scenario. This kid has been with the barn owner as horse crazy preteen and they have a well developed relationship which may include a lot of expectations for a little payback on the part of the barn owner. And a young adult who feels she owes something to the barn owner, who probably worked off anything she "owed" years ago Sorry but it happens all the time, I have more than one t-shirt to prove it. So, not that it makes what happened right but there may be a very good reason for the "cocky".

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    cIf she can't follow instructions and do the job right, then she shouldn't be employed. She may think she's got BO over a barrel, but my guess is that BO can find someone else.
    Really? So, it is not plausible that the barn owner is the bad guy here in the relationship with the barn worker?? See the above. It happens more often than not. Geesh, the absolute crap and abuse that many kids tolerate to be around horses. for all you know, this barn owner has been heaping stuff on this kid who has dutifully been doing the best she can while telling the barn owner that it is too much, and now perhaps the 'kid' gets to be blamed because it really was too much..

The worker has been with the BO since she was a kid, pre-teen. According to the BO, this is new behaviour for the working. She tried to speak to her about it, and the BO said "XX basically told me I would have to deal with the half-assed job because she is stretched out too thin as it is. I told her i would no longer babysit in exchange for the work on the weekends, and it would cost her a lot more for a babysitter to cover for 30 hours than the swap we have".
    Sure. how unprofessional is it for the BO to confide this to you? The more I read, the worse I feel for the worker. I think it is the barn owner who thinks she has the worker over a barrel.

Thats what the BO said to me also, that she feeds her kid 3 meals a day and takes good care of HIM so why can't the worker do the same?
    Really? The BO said that to you? To make sure you have a negative perception of the lowly barnworker? Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?

11 members found this post helpful.

What your BO said/did is not professional. At all.

I've had BOs choose to do things with my horse that resulted in injury and behavior issues. Sure the worker was the one that executed those plans, but the BO made the choice. I've also seen BOs hire people who have zero horse experience (hire is a strong word...use the labor of...is more like it) as "interns" for cheap labor.

Either way, I think the BO threw the worker under the bus, and true or not, a leader/manager should never ever do that. I'd be considering moving my horse, personally, not because a mistake was made, but because the BO is not mature enough to admit his/her culpability in the mess and blamed the worker. Wonder what he/she is saying about you behind your back...

5 members found this post helpful.

agreed that the behaviour of the BO is not professional. Hence me not wanting to get involved with their relationship. I'm thinking BO told me about it, in case something was amiss on the weekends, I knew it wasn't HER but the worker. Regardless, I don't want to hear about the issues she is having with their arrangement. I would rather not be privy to their conversations either...been there, done that.

The whole point is that, for whatever reason/error, my horse is laid up again when she should not be. And if it requires additional vet care, I would bring it up to the BO not the worker, since the BO is ultimately responsible for the worker's actions as an employer.

I would not throw one of my employees under the bus to a client-ever-that's wrong on several levels.

Yes, the worker is overworked with her jobs and such, but NOT my problem. I'm paying for a service. When that service is not provided, or done poorly, I can take my business elsewhere. I feel badly that she's stretched thin, as a person I feel bad, but as a consumer, no. I know MY clients don't care that we're crazy busy or so-and-so is on vacation, or that I'm bleary eyed from lack of sleep. It's business.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the worker is overworked with her jobs and such, but NOT my problem. I'm paying for a service. When that service is not provided, or done poorly, I can take my business elsewhere.
    Problem solved then...

You don't want to talk to any of them anyway so... don't be a goupie keep it moving
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Problem solved then...

You don't want to talk to any of them anyway so... don't be a goupie keep it moving
    Dont understand that last bit there. I don't want to speak to the BO about her arrangement. About my horse, yes, but the shennanigans with the relationship she has, none of my business.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I don't know the configuration/size of the arena, but is it possible that the worker thought the (new) pen was actually used as a divider to cut down the size of the arena to make it (the arena itself) small enough to be safe for the horse to be turned out in?

(as in, the worker understood the note/instructions as "put the horse in the now smaller pen/arena)

Or that the horse snagged itself just right to lift and unlatch the gate? I've often been amazed at what a bored horse can manage to do, sometimes unintentionally.

I can see being upset, and the BO should understand that regardless of how it happened it is not acceptable and changes need to be made to prevent it from happening again. But at the same time, sh!t happens, and it's usually not personal.

I would be 100x more upset about finding my horse in a paddock with a water tub frozen solid than turned out in a slightly larger area by mistake. Potable water should be freely accessible in turnout. No exceptions.

The water issue was voiced with the horse being loose in the arena-trust me, that WAS brought up. Also, the horse could not have snagged herself on the gate latch, she was not blanketed and not wearing a halter. It's a round pen gate that slides up the tube of the pen and hooks into a latch. The way it is configured, you have to lift the gate itself to latch it.

I suppose it doesn't matter HOW the horse got loose/was left loose. The fact that she was not where she was supposed to be is the issue-and the worker taught lessons that morning. So she would have taken the mare out of her stall and just left her in the ring, and she never made it to the pen (which is built in the corner of the indoor with round pen panels). According to BO, she told the worker to "put the mare where XX was in the pen in the ring" XX being another horse. Only one pen in the ring.

I suppose it doesn't matter HOW the horse got loose/was left loose.
    Eeeeee, I think it kind of does, if you want to know it won't happen again.

I had a client with a horse that had IRAP on a hind leg injury and we made a small pen. I was the one who put her out in her small pen inside the pasture so she could be out. Looked out, and she was in the big pasture. She'd opened the gate. I had to own that $%(*. Owner didn't find her that way, but I did have to tell her and tell her that I would be tying the gate closed with a lead from there on out. And I had to tell everyone in the barn who handled the horse that's how it would go.

I'm not saying you should demand heads on stakes, but you DO need to know what really happened so you can make an informed decision about where your mare will get the care she needs. Accidents happen and mistakes happen. Sometimes a one off mistake is all it takes to really screw the pooch. It doesn't sound like this is the case with your mare, but when accountability is lacking, it should make you nervous about it happening again.

I personally, on your behalf, don't like the black and empty void where the explanation should be.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Gotcha longspot.
    I'm being somewhat attacked for being angry at the situation, not saying something to the worker, not wanting to get involved in their arrangement, the fact that the injured horse may or may not have lept over a 5 foot panel and left the gate open behind her.
    I vent and have to get defensive...

Dont understand that last bit there. I don't want to speak to the BO about her arrangement. About my horse, yes, but the shennanigans with the relationship she has, none of my business.

I think Katarina hit the nail on the head earlier.

I guess the thumbsdown means you don't like the feedback. Katarine did not say anything unfair or mean and I did not mean it to be so either. Which is why I referenced her post rather than risk writing my own that might come across wrong. Take it for what it is worth, which I guess is not much.
    Last edited by sketcher; Dec. 5, 2012 at 06:03 PM.

I think we all misunderstood the nature of your post though - do you want solutions? Or sympathy.

We horsegirls tend to give solutions. At least I know I do...I'm practical like that. Kat's advice isn't bad, if you want to actually solve the problem, I'd talk directly to the worker.

If not - then, well, I'd continue to be frustrated and/or move my horse. Sorry she's still hurt.

ok, it's Katarine.

I cannot imagine being in your shoes and NOT wanting to know how the mare ended up loose in the arena.

I cannot imagine being in your shoes and NOT knowing within .000001% certainty that my injured horse would not be placed anywhere except her stall, or secured in the small pen that is inside the indoor arena. Period. I've had Barn owners and workers go against my wishes for my injured horses and it only happened once. That nonsense stops post haste if my horse is involved. Momma don't play. I would have a sit down conversation with the BO, and the BW, so that I could go home assured we were on the same page.

It's called communicating about a plan and coming to agreement on how to stay on that plan.

Anything short of that is doing a disservice to the horse in the name of 'I don't want to get involved.' It's your horse. You are supposed to be involved.

My original post on this matter was correct. Sometimes, I hate being correct. This is one of those times.

I am not attacking you. I and others are frustrated that the only thing you seem to have your hands on is your keyboard and your need to be the victim. Your horse is the victim, and maybe your pocketbook if she tweaked it badly enough.

You brought the allll the other details into the fold- crap that doesn't matter, no one cares how many kids/age/etc....you brought it all up but then it's all irrelevant because you don't want to be involved but here's another time when she screwed up....wha? No one ever, ever, ever, suggested you get into any of that stuff. We all just think you outta know where the communication chain failed on where the stupid horse was supposed to go. You are NOT that dense, woman you are dragging stuff into the fray that is just jamming the communication lines further.

Your horse is freakin' reinjured but you don't get it b/c you .,..well..you don't want to. That would mean getting involved in what actually happened that resulted in the mare being in the wrong flippin' place. It's just not that complicated. I'm out. Good luck. The horse will need it, in this barn or any barn. You can't see the forest for the trees, LBM.

5 members found this post helpful.

And this is why I don't like to board at places where "some kid/random" is in charge without adequate supervision. "Some kid/random" generally makes poor judgment calls.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

OP, I would be beyond pissed off about this if I were you. There is very little room for error in injury rehab, and the ball was clearly dropped here. Accidents happen, but this sounds like it was just carelessness. In your position, I would not care WHY it happened. I would make it absolutely clear to the barn owner and the barn worker that this is NEVER to happen again. Never, ever.

Actually, in your position, unless the apologies had been immediate and sincere all around, I would have already left.