The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I dont get it?

My mare was cleared for small turnout after hurting her ankle. THe BO put a small pen in the corner of the indoor, where the mare was to hang out for turnout until she was moved a few days later into a stall with a small in/out (read:so she cannot run around).

This horse is hot, has a lot of energy to start with, and can be flighty.

After my follow up vet appointment, I left a note with my board bill with the vets instructions. No big deal?

I get to the barn the next day and walk in to find my horse loose in the indoor arena, the barn worker has left for the day. She's resting the hurt ankle (which was nice and tight, no heat, no swelling, no tenderness) the day before, and the ankle is slightly bigger than the other one.

I spoke to the BO, who told me she'd sent a text to the weekend worker about turning the mare out in the small (empty) pen in the arena. BO was furious. I left a HUGE note taped to the horse's stall (where she went back to) about NOT turning her loose.

Lately the BO has been having issues with the worker, who is young (20). She works only on Sat/Sun, gives lessons both mornings as well as cleans stalls/waters/sets up feed. The horses are turned out at 5 AM by BO's DH for breakfast.

I know the worker left my horse loose because she taught lessons that morning, and BO's DH went to work.

Now my horse, who was on stall rest for 2 weeks, has to be back in the stall for another week and turned out in the in/out stall after.

I feel like this is a blatant F-U from the worker, and I am not sure why, since her and I get along well.She has her phone permanently attached to her face 24/7 so she definitely got the message...

BO knows that I'll leave if things don't shape up (there has been more things that bothered me, but this-after spending $500 on vet appointments-takes the cake). I'd hate to leave, I won't find such an affordable barn with an indoor in my area. (though with a lame horse, its a moot point)

2 members found this post helpful.

My guess? She felt bad for Miss Mare and didn't think it would be a big deal to let her have a little more room to stretch her legs OR didn't understand the instructions OR just plain ol' screwed up and wasn't paying attention. I doubt it has anything to do with you, your relationship with her, or anything else personal.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

11 members found this post helpful.

No probably not, but she knew the horse was on stall rest for a tendon injury.
    The kid's been cocky with the BO too, they had words...something along the lines of the BO addressing the fact that she is not doing the barnwork right, has forgotten to WATER the horses (my other one included) and so forth. The girl told the BO she had to deal with it, since she could not stretch herself any thinner. She has 1 full time job, 1 part time job, teaches lessons on the weekends and has a kid. The BO trades babysitting for barn work.
    I am not getting involved in their arrangement-but if MY animals start to suffer, I'm out. I pay my bill on time every time, and even clean stalls for the BO if I am there during the week days, just to do it with nothing in return. (Actually, to get out of my house and have me-time post-baby). I'd love to ask the worker, but feel like I should not.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, I can appreciate that the gal is working her butt off trying to make ends meet and such, but that's really not (or shouldn't be) your problem, the BO's problem or your horse's problem. If she can't follow instructions and do the job right, then she shouldn't be employed. She may think she's got BO over a barrel, but my guess is that BO can find someone else. BO needs to stand up to her. Not your place IMHO but you can certainly talk to BO again and ask her what her plan is if instructions aren't being followed and your horse is harmed as a result and incurs more expense. If I were in her shoes and my employee was screwing things up like that, I'd be offering to cover the expense. But I'm a sucker like that and I doubt it's enforceable.

I'm sorry your horse is laid up gain. Jingles for a speedy recovery.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

Just a thought, but is it possible your horse jumped out? I've had it happen once or twice.

No, the pen is way too small for that. And the panels are 5 footers, and she's 15.1

Not sure who marked my post as bad. That's rude.

Yes she does work her butt off, and not my place to say anything to her. This is the first time I have boarded where there is an employee (except when I was the worker) so not quite sure how to proceed...I plan on having a chat with the BO about the issues and that I will leave if needed.

Is it possible that worker is intimidated by your mare? Hot to begin with and has been laid up... worker may have had her hands full, gotten to the indoor and just said "screw it".

Not an excuse nor forgivable but it wouldn't be the first time a younger person caved to fear and attempted to cover it up with belligerence.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    Is it possible that worker is intimidated by your mare? Hot to begin with and has been laid up... worker may have had her hands full, gotten to the indoor and just said "screw it".

Not an excuse nor forgivable but it wouldn't be the first time a younger person caved to fear and attempted to cover it up with belligerence.
    Absolutely not. She used to excersize her for me while I was pregnant, asked if she could take the horse off site to take lessons and possibly show her. They got on quite fantastically, she rode the mare GREAT and enjoyed her.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    No, the pen is way too small for that. And the panels are 5 footers, and she's 15.1

Not sure who marked my post as bad. That's rude.

Yes she does work her butt off, and not my place to say anything to her. This is the first time I have boarded where there is an employee (except when I was the worker) so not quite sure how to proceed...I plan on having a chat with the BO about the issues and that I will leave if needed.
    1.) Clearly you've never seen a determined horse.
    2.) I'm not sure that she didn't jump out. I assume barn worker would have said that she was put in, but maybe no one has actually spoken to her yet. You said she teaches lessons? So you're saying that she put the mare out and then taught lessons with her loose in the indoor? Or is there another ring that she uses.
    3.) It makes you look petty everytime you bring her age into it. I'm not much older than her and managed a barn with broodies, babies, and three studs, and my age had nothing to do with it. I have more horse experience than many of the middle aged riders at most barns I'm at. So if you do choose to confront her, I suggest leaving out any mention of her age. It has absolutely nothing to do with her lack of proper care.

5 members found this post helpful.

Reading comprehension being what it is anymore, is it possible the worker misread the instructions from BO? Or that BO didn't make the instructions clear? It seems texting might be a sloppy way of giving instructions like that and a true conversation between the two would have been preferred.

I guess if it was me, I'd want to ask the worker person directly what happened, and use it as an opportunity to make her know (in a nice way, not berating) why it is important for the horse to be put only in a certain pen, etc. I prefer to deal directly with whoever is providing care, whenever possible, to limit such misunderstandings/misdirections/whatever happened here.

I've seen with my own eyes a horse in the 15 hands range jump out of a 12x12 stall over the wall (the top of which is at my eye level and I'm 5'10"). And horse was a young draft type.

So I wouldn't count that out.

I would just ask the worker what happened. You don't know that she turned her out. Maybe she misread the note. Maybe the note was not clear enough for her to understand. You are making something personal w/ zero evidence that it's personal. that never, never, ever, turns out well.

I get it that you are pissed. I would be as well. But pissed doesn't fix it.You need answers, not justice.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    1.) Clearly you've never seen a determined horse.
    2.) I'm not sure that she didn't jump out. I assume barn worker would have said that she was put in, but maybe no one has actually spoken to her yet. You said she teaches lessons? So you're saying that she put the mare out and then taught lessons with her loose in the indoor? Or is there another ring that she uses.
    3.) It makes you look petty everytime you bring her age into it. I'm not much older than her and managed a barn with broodies, babies, and three studs, and my age had nothing to do with it. I have more horse experience than many of the middle aged riders at most barns I'm at. So if you do choose to confront her, I suggest leaving out any mention of her age. It has absolutely nothing to do with her lack of proper care.
    I mentioned her age ONCE. And yes, age can CERTAINLY have something to do with it. Hoorah for you that you've managed this that and the other thing. That has NOTHING to do with the conversation.

I would approach it when you aren't as mad about it (which you have EVERY right to be, IMO).

I would say something along the lines of, "Hey Jane, I noticed that Dobbin was loose in the indoor yesterday. I was really hoping that she would go in the round pen for now, and I hope that she didn't give you too much trouble. I know she can be a big PITA." This kind of opens up the door to let her explain WHY she wasn't where she needed to be, without offending her, since you sympathize with her being a PITA.

She probably feels like she's big bad bessie, since she's 20, teaching lessons, has a kid, blah blah blah... if you get mad and say "Well I left a note saying that Dobbin should go in the round pen, why didn't she?!" she's just going to get defensive and either lie or yell.

Personally, I'd take a crack at her ankle, then chase her around with a firehose, but that's neither here nor there.

Hopefully you get an explanation and it doesn't happen again. Also, big congrats on the human spawn. They can be soul sucking little buggers.
    Last edited by Superminion; Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: I've been up all night...
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I mentioned her age ONCE. And yes, age can CERTAINLY have something to do with it. Hoorah for you that you've managed this that and the other thing. That has NOTHING to do with the conversation.
    Just POLITELY pointing out that if you do choose to confront her, better not to bring up her age or allude to it. You may have mentioned her specific age once but you also keep calling her a "kid" and so forth.

The mare did not jump out-the gate to the pen was wide open (and it is a horse-proof latch, you have to lift the gate a bit while you undo the latch to get it to release while you turn it).

I'm upset because the horse was laid up and the worker knew this. We'd talked about it face to face. She's been very lazy with the barn work the past month, gates left open, waters not done/filled or cleaned, stalls done poorly, jumps and poles and standards strewn around the ring. The BO has dealt with her about it, the BO talked to me about it (I did not add to the conversation because I do not want to be involved. That was before this issue happened).
    I'm not planning on "confronting" her, that's such a harsh word. I rarely, if ever, run into her since I have an infant and our schedules are not the same.

As a manager of a business, if a customer had a problem with one of my employees, I would want to speak to the customer, not the customer to deal with the employee about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Just POLITELY pointing out that if you do choose to confront her, better not to bring up her age or allude to it. You may have mentioned her specific age once but you also keep calling her a "kid" and so forth.
    There was nothing "polite" about calling me petty. I did mention her as a kid once. I've got about 12 years on her. That makes her a "kid" in my book, and also by her behaviour. And, seeing as you are from Massachusetts, you ought to know that we "Mass people" refer to people as "kid" as a pronoun. Unless that only happened with my generation.

The barn worker is a worker. It is the business owners responsibility to employ people who will do the work properly. Ultimately, it is the business owners responsibility to see to it that the work IS done properly.

Too often, like, 99.98% of the time, boarding business employ people for as cheaply as they possibly can. People are inexperienced, unmotivated, don't understand (as in, don't speak english well)stretched too thin with their own lives, OR paid little enough that they don't really care that much. Overall, this is a cultural problem. We simply have way, way, way too much of our economy stuck in a rut of low paying work.

In exchange for low pay, you will have a hard time getting high quality work.

Have you asked the farm owner why they don't employ an experienced person who has the time to do better work?

Any of a million different things could have happened during the barn workers day that distracted her from what she was doing. Kid could have been sick. Leaky water hose could have been driving her nuts, etc.

On the list of less legitimate distractions...I deplore the modern obsession with cell phones, and I personally can't stand seeing people muck, feed, turnout, etc while yacking or surfing on their phones constantly. BUT, why does your farm owner even allow it in the first place?

Usually, it is because the farm owner is on their own cell non stop also.....

Clearly, the farm owner is NOT taking responsibility to make sure things are done right. Next time, you should speak directly with the person who will be caring for the horse. You can contact her now and find out how it is the horse wound up loose in the indoor. And make sure you have her phone number so you can call/text her a reminder about special instructions in the future.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I would just ask the worker what happened. You don't know that she turned her out. Maybe she misread the note. Maybe the note was not clear enough for her to understand. You are making something personal w/ zero evidence that it's personal. that never, never, ever, turns out well.

I get it that you are pissed. I would be as well. But pissed doesn't fix it.You need answers, not justice.
    That's kind of what I was looking for. Kept waiting to get to the post that included the information "what the barn worker said happened/why she did it/she didn't do it etc etc". Has Barn Worker not been talked to by BO and BO come to you with the informations she gleaned?

I understand if YOU don't want to confront her, LBM. I really do. It's the BO's job to manage her help, and she's the one that sent the text and she knows exactly what it said.

But there are a couple different possibilities that don't include BW screwing up big time. One is the BO is throwing her under the bus, didn't write a clear note (just said in the indoor thinking BW would know it was the small pen she'd set up), or forgot to tell her at all. Who knows.

If it were me, I'd call the BO and say "So, I was wondering how your conversation went with BW about my mare getting turned out in the indoor? Is she absolutely clear why that was a huge problem and won't do it again?" If BO doesn't share with you how that conversation went, I'd be concerned that conversation never happened or you aren't getting the whole story.

Before you lose your mind on someone, find out what happened that day and why.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

7 members found this post helpful.

exactly, LS.

1 members found this post helpful.