The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default warmer horse foot

This may be the sillyest question, I hope it is but does this sound like anything to worry about to y'all?

Sometimes, every now and then when I pick feet my mares front right foot will feel slightly warm while the other feet feel cool. Not a warmth you would even notice if the other feet didn't feel so cool in comparison. It's just odd to me and as anyone who knows me knows I have to have something to worry about with this mare.
    Perfectly sound just warmer foot, always the right front.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Get yourself an infrared gun and take readings of each foot to see what the actual measured difference is.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Tempe...=pd_sim_hpc_13

Occasionally seen this in my practice. In some cases I have found that the warm foot (consistently >3 deg. F difference) grows faster than the others and usually there is some kind of mild arthritis or other chronic mild inflammation causing higher circulation and apparently increased rate of mitosis. It may not show clinical lameness symptoms to the casual observer, but it won't escape a true gait analysis done by a trained eye.

Tom, good point. My mare (now sound on the RF thank g-d!) occasionally has a little heat in that hoof or just above it. It's the one with the tiny rotation, the one that toes in more, the one beneath the least well-conformed leg, so it makes sense.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    . . .the one that toes in more, the one beneath the least well-conformed leg . . .
    I bet you a dollar that foot has an arched (upward displaced) coronary band on the medial side and a lateral heel that wants to roll under.

Or the cooler leg could have nerve or circulatory issues. See this page (scroll down to the bottom):
    http://www.vet-therm.com/equine-thermography.htm
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Get yourself an infrared gun and take readings of each foot to see what the actual measured difference is.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Tempe...=pd_sim_hpc_13

Occasionally seen this in my practice. In some cases I have found that the warm foot (consistently >3 deg. F difference) grows faster than the others and usually there is some kind of mild arthritis or other chronic mild inflammation causing higher circulation and apparently increased rate of mitosis. It may not show clinical lameness symptoms to the casual observer, but it won't escape a true gait analysis done by a trained eye.
    Thank you so much. I'll do that.
    It isn't an all the time thing but every now and then and seems to last for just minutes but each time it worrys me. Then I forget it til I feel it again.
    That is a neat tool you recommended and easily affordable, too. Thanks again.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

The device is also good for entertaining barn cats . . . chasing the red laser dot.

I bet you a dollar that foot has an arched (upward displaced) coronary band on the medial side and a lateral heel that wants to roll under.
    Yep, you got it. Just changed farriers to one who doesn't make it worse, and Miss Horse is way happier.

This is from when she went lame in October, getting her Xrays, before the new farrier. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-S...0/onblocks.jpg

Not sure I'd want to post much else...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

The device is also good for entertaining barn cats . . . chasing the red laser dot.
    And obviously for farriers who tease cats.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.