The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clinics/Winter lessons in VA

Anyone know of any good jumper clinics in the VA area over the next several months? I know many of the more sought after coaches go down south...
    Would also be happy to find a good jumper trainer in the VA area who I could haul to for lessons. I am really looking for a classical approach, someone who is a good all around horseman and really does their due diligence in developing horses and riders and also goes to some of the mid sized to larger shows (as opposed to just the local/unrated shows). I am not very familiar with the Jumper world having evented predominately. I am in central VA but am willing to travel if need be as I haven't found quite the program i am looking for locally. Thank you!!

I don't know how "central" you are, but Gegi Winslett would meet most of your criteria.

http://twahorseshows.yolasite.com/

She is based in the Fredericksburg area, but gives biweekly clinics in Nokesville (every other Wednesday evening). She will also traveleto your mutually agreeable facility.

She VERY DEFINITELY " is a good all around horseman and really does their due diligence in developing horses and riders".

However, she does not usually go to the bigger shows as a coach.

Her primary discipline is the hunter/jumper world, but she also designs show jumping courses, and judges show jumping, at Horse Trials, so she has her foot in the Eventing world again.

She teachs people (and horses) from cross rails to 4'

I think you will find that most of the people who regularly go to the bigger recognized shows also go south for the winter. For instance Gavin Moylan in Leesburg.

All this is in Northern Virginia, as that is what I know. But you might want to contact some of the people at the Central Virginia SHow Jumoing Association for their recommendations.

http://www.cvsja.com/index.htm
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I've been looking for the same thing. I am also in central VA and have a fantastic trainer that thankfully will be here through the winter. However, with the lack of shows I wanted to spend money on clinics/lessons with some other jumper trainers during the down time. Please let me know if you find anything, or possibly we could organize a group to get a top professional to come clinic here?

Hi! Just wanted to recommend my trainer, Jeff Woodall, to you. He is located in Culpeper and accepts haul ins. He has a small program and is great with people who have come from eventing or fox hunting land. He does a lot of a shows around va and nc.

If you are interested, pm me.

I'm going to recommend my trainer, Shawn Thomas. . He starts a lot of babies and really knows how to develop horses all the way to the top. He teaches near Culpeper (which is a little more central) If you want his contact info, PM me.

I'm not sure of your location, but I would highly recommend Teddi Ismond in Culpeper, VA http://www.hvfinternational.com/

I've had several clinics with her, and love her teaching style. Very classical approach that is centered around good equitation/effective communication. She is a licensed "R" judge and trained with George Morris in her junior years.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

1 members found this post helpful.