The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default sizing surcingle/tack for growing pony to likely fit at maturity?

Hello there I am new here

I have a welsh/Arab filly whom I would like to start acquiring tack for. My only problem... Shes a weanling, foaled May. I am not wanting to start her yet by any means but I want to do some desensitization and long line work next year in preparation for some light ground driving as a 2 year old. Her dam is a 12.2 section B Welsh and sire a 14.2 Arabian so I'm guessing her height to be around 13hh give or take at maturity. Would cob sized tack be recommended? Also I know its a bit early to determine but would I be stupid to buy a 4.5" bit? or is there a good chance she'd be just 4"? I am normally a QH person so this pony thing is new to me, and shes a cross so I'm not super confident in correct sizing predictions I will need completely different tack for her than my QH (obviously), which I'd like to acquire over the course of a few years vs all at once. There are so many great sales going on right now, which is why I am looking to buy now.

Any help is greatly appreciated

This is a really hard size to judge what they will end up in. I had a 13.1h welsh mare that was so refined she was in a pony size harness and had to have the bridle sized down custom... I have a cob size harness and it was HUGE on her. It fits my 14h welsh cob very well, but she has more of a body. You also have the issue that different brands run different on sizing...

There is no way to predict what size bit she'll end up in, save your money and buy it when she's ready. My welsh cob started in a 4.5" in her ground work as a 2yr old. She's now in a 5 or 5.25 depending on the bit.

I would just be pooling that money you want to spend into a savings account and buy it as you know what size to get her. Some chunky 13h ponies can go in a cob, but the dainty ones may not, and you may need custom sizing bridles to fit the heads or the blinkers wont line up in the right spot... If you are ordering from a good company, most will custom size at no additional cost. If you are ordering cheap, you really get what you pay for, save your money and order better. Expect a good harness to cost you $600-800.
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you very much! I never imagined it would be so hard to find the right size, even halters are hard to fit her, right now shes between a suckling and weanling/pony halter. She is quite dainty but at the same time she isn't, if that makes sense? I will have to just wait and see. At least finding a surcingle that would adjust would be perfect for now if you have any suggestions for brands or whatnot?

Again thank you, I think I will try to just put money away specifically for this though.

Sorry, havent been on here in a few days. Favorite surcingle for me is ones where the rings stand UP, not floppy. it allows the lines to flow through easier. This is my surcingle, and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...

http://www.claymaier.com/supply-surcingle.php

i also have the MCR long lines and driving whip, er, top half of the whip cause the lower bit got stepped on and cracked. These are my favorite driving lines. They take some getting used to, but after that period, i cant even use the light flat cotton/nylon ones. His DVDs are excellent as well for all the ground work stuff. Will give you a lot of great things to work on. Great place to spend money if you just cant control yourself.
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com