The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default County Saddles- how do they run?

I've finally found what (I hope) is the right saddle for my horse, per the folks at Trumbull Mtn she should fit nicely in the County Competitor wide tree. What I'm still trying to figure out is which size I should get- I'm told I'm right in between a 17" and 17.5". I'm 5'4" with a moderately long femur, 127 lbs. I currently ride in a 17" Ideal.

In your experience, do County saddles run true to size, small, or large?

TIA!

Well I'm 5'7 and 130 with a slightly long femur and I got a 17.5 seat in my county so it gave me a little room to do more movements when the time comes. I had a stubben 17 that I was snug in, I felt very comfortable because I felt snug so it took a couple rides to get use to it but I love it.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I tried a Competitor at an 18 and it fit just right, BUT the Perfection I tried was a 17.5 and fit even better. Weird how it felt roomier despite being, technically, smaller.

Truly, you've got to sit in 'em. I believe Trumbull Mtn is very good with trials, so give it a whirl.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I think they vary a bit between models. I am 5'10", 125 lbs. I had a County Competitor that was a 17", however, when I went to the Connection, I needed a 17.5". Now I am in a Black Country that was custom made for me to be between a 17.5" and an 18"!